Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #961
View in linear mode

Subject: "Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
mouramassa Registered since 18th Nov 2009Tue 19-Jan-10 10:03 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2"

BR

Dear nikonians,

Is there a way to simulate Adobe's Vibrance effect in NX2. I really like the idea of increasing the saturation of the less saturated colors only.
The only way I know is selecting color by color, or region by region and doing it, but I wonder if there is no way of selecting all the non saturated colors at once and increasing their saturation.

regards,

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2
nightcat
19th Jan 2010
nwcs Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
Michael Sharps
20th Jan 2010
robsb Platinum Member
20th Jan 2010
barrywesthead Silver Member
20th Jan 2010
robsb Platinum Member
21st Jan 2010
sfstipe
21st Jan 2010
          Reply message RE: No Vibrance Filter in Efex Pro for NX2
sfbillm Silver Member
21st Jan 2010
mouramassa
22nd Jan 2010
gerphil Silver Member
24th Jan 2010
smb_ohio
23rd Jan 2010
rbsandor Gold Member
24th Jan 2010
gerphil Silver Member
25th Jan 2010
nightcat
25th Jan 2010

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Tue 19-Jan-10 04:50 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

LaCrosse,WI, US

Hi,

Normally, I get the look I want using Picture Controls and Quick Fix histogram adjustments. However, I took your post as an interesting challenge. I read a little on Vibrance and did some tests in NX2. Here's what I came up with:

Select adjust/color/color boost
Check protect skin tones (don't check if there are no people)
Move level slider to 25
Select opacity
Change All to Luminance/chrominance
Set Luminance to 0
Set Chrominance to 50
Set blend mode to Screen

In my limited testing I found that different pics needed different settings, esp. the blend mode. Sometimes Lighten or Darken worked better than Screen. I saved the edit step as an adjustment labeled Vibrance.

In case your interested, here's my Clarity adjustment:

Adjust/focus/High Pass
radius 20
opacity luminance 100 chrominance 50
blend mode overlay

adjust radius and opacity to taste.

Thanks for the post.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 19-Jan-10 05:01 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Try "Color Boost" edit step.

Michael Sharps Registered since 03rd Oct 2007Wed 20-Jan-10 01:49 AM
459 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Rio Vista, US

I find that LCH->Chroma works great for this. You can select a specific color range to increase or decrease saturation (and also broaden or narrow the color range for each selection). Chroma affects saturation without affecting lightness or hue.

Create a new step, select Color->LCH and then select Chroma from the select list. Here is a screenshot of the adjustment dialog:

Hope this helps!

Michael Sharps
Rio Vista, CA
www.sharpsphotography.com
Nikonians Gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 20-Jan-10 02:12 AM
12592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 20-Jan-10 02:15 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

This is an example as to why a dedicated NX2 forum would be good. Here you see two different approaches, from two different NX2 users, to getting a vibrance effect, and both are totally different.I think both of you did an excellent job at approaching this question.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Wed 20-Jan-10 10:31 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Kleinburg, CA

>
>Is there a way to simulate Adobe's Vibrance effect in NX2. I
>really like the idea of increasing the saturation of the less
>saturated colors only.
>The only way I know is selecting color by color, or region by
>region and doing it, but I wonder if there is no way of
>selecting all the non saturated colors at once and increasing
>their saturation.
>

From a non-user of NX2:

If NX2 has has sharpening with radius and amount adjustments, try sharpening the image with a very high radius and very low amount. This combined with boosting color saturation should mimic vibrance.

Barry

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 21-Jan-10 04:09 AM
12592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2"
In response to Reply # 5

San Jose, US

Barry yes NX2 does allow radius and amount adjustments when sharpening and uses the same methods that Photoshop uses in LAB space, i.e it sharpens luminance. High Radius Low Amount or HIRALOAM is a technique taught by Dan Margolis in his Professional Photoshop book and his book on LAB. It gives a very different effect than sharpening with Low Radius High Amount sharpening and is used when there are not distinct edges like waves in water. It will tend to give an image a more contoured look and is often used as a step in sharpening faces.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

sfstipe Registered since 03rd Nov 2008Thu 21-Jan-10 11:26 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

Fort Worth, US

Nik Effex Pro has a vibrance filter that works well with Capture 2.
This filter is one of many that are included in this software package. A trial offer might be available on their web site.

Stephen
"Connecting to the beauty in nature and the beauty in people!"

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Thu 21-Jan-10 03:25 PM
853 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: No Vibrance Filter in Efex Pro for NX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Santa Fe, US

>Nik Effex Pro has a vibrance filter that works well with
>Capture 2.
>This filter is one of many that are included in this software
>package.

I have both the 2.0 and 3.0 filters for NX2, and neither set has a filter called 'vibrance'. Could you be thinking of the Tonal Contrast filter in 3.0, which is the one I'd thought of when I saw the OP's question?

SantaFeBill

mouramassa Registered since 18th Nov 2009Fri 22-Jan-10 11:03 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: No Vibrance Filter in Efex Pro for NX2"
In response to Reply # 8

BR

thank you very much for all the suggestions, I will try all of them.

regards

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberSun 24-Jan-10 07:13 AM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: No Vibrance Filter in Efex Pro for NX2"
In response to Reply # 8

Haarlem, NL

A very nice one would be NIK's Contrast Color Range filter while applying a negative selection point for the skin. Plain and simple, but very powerful. Never used it thus far - but that will change.

And indeed, this is the kind of topics I like to see more. Capture NX2 together with NIK is a tremendous toolbox which treasures are still largely undiscovered. By taking examples from other applications as a startingpoint you can make great discoveries.

That is also why I am not sure if a dedicated Capture forum would be appropriate - I occasionally sit down with a club fellow behind my PC, experimenting how to imitate tricks in Photoshop and Lightroom in Capture NX2. The poor fellow has no choice as he has invested deeply in Canon, but that only helps me to continue profiting from his CS and LR knowledge.

Maybe a (tool agnostic) forum on 'creative image processing' versus technical image processing (with topics on memory leaks etc.) would be a better idea.

Regards,

Gerphil
www.geja-vu.nl

smb_ohio Registered since 18th Mar 2006Sat 23-Jan-10 09:25 AM
1290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

This is one thing where Adobe has the jump on NX2. The vibrance control is a simple and effective way to boost color saturation in an image without affecting skin tones; and without jumping through hoops to do it. All software has strong points and weak points, this is one example where Adobe shines.

Steve

A Nikonian in northeastern Ohio

http://stephen-bishop.com

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Sun 24-Jan-10 11:04 PM
1411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2"
In response to Reply # 10

Denver, US

Steve: NX2 has exactly what you describe. It is an edit step called Color Booster. Within that step is a box to check labeled protect skin tones. No hoops. Richard

gerphil Silver Member Charter MemberMon 25-Jan-10 07:04 AM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2"
In response to Reply # 12

Haarlem, NL

Hi Richard,

You are right - that is exactly what the Color Booster does - but it doesn't provide what Vibrance does: "Adjusts the saturation so that clipping is minimized as colors approach full saturation. This setting changes the saturation of all lower-saturated colors with less effect on the higher-saturated colors. Vibrance also prevents skin tones from becoming oversaturated." (see also http://www.photo-mark.com/notes/2009/jan/19/analyzing-photoshop-vibrance-and-saturation/). Color Booster just saturates everything, with or without skin tones.

I pointed above at NIK's Color Range Contrast filter which may be ess automatic as vibrance (I don't have CS4 or LR), but in comparison gives possibly a bit more control by allowing you to increase color contrast selectively while enhancing overall color contrast in a way that the overall 'color balance' is not overly disturbed - as long as you are modest in applying it. I now also use it as a step before BW conversion (in addition to color points) as it makes you much more in control over color-to-BW conversion.

Regards,
Gerphil

www.geja-vu.nl

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Mon 25-Jan-10 04:29 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Simulating "Vibrance" effect in NX2"
In response to Reply # 13

LaCrosse,WI, US

"but it doesn't provide what Vibrance does:"

Which is why I add the Opacity adjustments in my Vibrance simulator. Also, using the LCH method, you can select which colors are boosted and which ones are not, including skin tones. Opacity settings can be adjusted in LCH as well. And I don't think "protect skin tones" can be turned off in Adobe's Vibrance, not sure though.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #961 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.