nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9598
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is NC2 Worth it?" Previous topic | Next topic
Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Thu 08-Nov-12 02:13 AM
4861 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is NC2 Worth it?"

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

Hi, I use View NX for basic stuff and PS CS2 for everything else. The other day I downloaded the free trial of NC2 - and am now wondering if it is worth shelling out for it. I'm still undecided having only played with it a few times. What do you guys think? Is is worth it.

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is NC2 Worth it?
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
08th Nov 2012
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
09th Nov 2012
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
09th Nov 2012
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
09th Nov 2012
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014
09th Nov 2012
PAStime Silver Member
10th Nov 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
10th Nov 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 08-Nov-12 03:21 AM
6231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is NC2 Worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 08-Nov-12 03:22 AM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Are you referring to Capture NX 2?

I love it and it is my main image editor.

There has been lots of discussion about this, debating the pros and cons of CNX vs Lightroom (for example). CNX has been around for a while, but Nikon keeps it current. Others prefer Lightroom or Photoshop for added power or a newer bit of software.

We can restart the debate, but you might just want to search Nikonians for threads on this subject.

In the end, it's all about the results you get, not how you get them, and whether the software is something your work with or fight against.

Trial versions are the best way to figure this out.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 09-Nov-12 02:32 AM
13286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Is NC2 Worth it?"
In response to Reply # 1

San Jose, US

I agree with Mick. I have CS6 Extended and Capture NX2. I have used Photoshop tools for years and know my way around the SW, but I always go to Capture NX2 first. I like the way it works, and the fact that I can keep all my work in NEF form.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Fri 09-Nov-12 01:48 PM
9853 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is NC2 Worth it?"
In response to Reply # 1

Memphis, US

Same here I truly enjoy ease of use and how NX2 processes NEF files. Yes it's older and in some ways an orphan but Nikon recently updated it to 64bit and other minor updates. So until Nikon abandons it will be my raw editor.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 09-Nov-12 11:57 AM
8906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is NC2 Worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Capture NX2 is my primary editor. I have CS6 but only use it for special situations. Capture NX2 does an excellent job with Nikon NEF files allowing you to make several types of edits that are not possible with other programs. I find the Capture NX2 approach to selective editing much easier than masks. And the ability to make nondestructive edits and create multiple versions in a single NEF file is very efficient with organization and file space.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Fri 09-Nov-12 03:14 PM
3752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Is NC2 Worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

I agree with Mick, Jim, and Eric.

I use Capture NX2 for all my NEF editing. I like the way it takes advantage of my in camera settings. CNX2 is a non destructive editor, the raw data is never changed and the edit steps are saved within the NEF. That means there is only one file to keep track of for each image.

The only time I go beyond CNX2 is for HDR of doing things like perspective correction. For HDR I use Oloneo PhotoEngine and the occasional everything else I use PhotoShop Elements 11.

For browsing, rating, and generation of small JPGs for Web or 4x6" prints I use PhotoMechanic. PhotoMechanic can extract the JPGs directly from the embedded JPG of the NEF. There is no need to even go into CNX2 for that. CNX2 updates the embedded JPG when it saves an edited NEF file.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 10-Nov-12 01:58 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Is NC2 Worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

Hi Alex.

Both tools produce excellent results.

I used Capture NX2 for a couple of years and then switched to Lightroom plus Photoshop.

Peter

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sat 10-Nov-12 03:49 PM
1609 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Is NC2 Worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I debated between getting PS and CNX.

I opted for CNX after downloading it for a trial. I've never felt the need for PS since.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Nikon FM2n, Nikon P7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 20/AF-D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28/2.8 AF-D, Sigma 28/2.8 Mini-Wide II, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9598 Previous topic | Next topic