nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9578
View in linear mode

Subject: "Post Processing Alternatives" Previous topic | Next topic
wiselee2 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2009Tue 06-Nov-12 03:21 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Post Processing Alternatives"

US

I have used CNX2 for 98% of my post processing supplemented by an old CS version of PS for combining shots with multiple exposures, some cloning and a few panoramas, etc.

I recently upgraded my Mac Pro to Mountain Lion and it does not support the CS version of PS. I really don't want to spend $500+ for such a small portion of my PP. I have been entertaining Photoshop Elements 11 but I understand it only operates on 8 bits instead of 16 bits or better. I am printing with an Epson 3880. How significant is the 8 bit limitation? Any alternative suggestions?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Post Processing Alternatives
gkaiseril Gold Member
06th Nov 2012
wiselee2 Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
mfphoto1
06th Nov 2012
wiselee2 Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
swampwizard
17th Nov 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 06-Nov-12 03:28 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Post Processing Alternatives"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Are you asking about post processing NEF files in specific.

Jpegs should be editable by any version of CS.

For NEF files and keeping your old software, have you looked at Adobe's DNG, Digital Negative, format and free converter?

All version of PhotoShop from version 2 on can process the DNG format files.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

wiselee2 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2009Tue 06-Nov-12 03:32 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Post Processing Alternatives"
In response to Reply # 1

US

My problem is that the Apple OS Mountain Lion does not support the older version of PS, it won't even open the program. So, I have to look at an alternative.

I haven't explored the Adobe DNG yet.

Thanks!

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 06-Nov-12 03:47 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Post Processing Alternatives"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

Have you considered doing the adobe cloud? If your only using one application like Photoshop it's 20.00 a month and you always have the latest software. https://creative.adobe.com/plans

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

wiselee2 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2009Tue 06-Nov-12 03:50 PM
#4. "RE: Post Processing Alternatives"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Wasn't aware of it, I'll check it out...

Thanks!

swampwizard Registered since 04th Nov 2012Sat 17-Nov-12 04:21 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Post Processing Alternatives"
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

Hey, This program is not PS but it's free. Try paint.net, it's a good little program and I use it to add some color in B/W files.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9578 Previous topic | Next topic