Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9576
View in linear mode

Subject: "Saving a Level 10 JPEG for 8x10 @ 300 dpi in Capture NX..." Previous topic | Next topic
jmcameron Registered since 09th Aug 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 12:33 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Saving a Level 10 JPEG for 8x10 @ 300 dpi in Capture NX2"

Tucson, US

When using Capture NX2 what is the step by step process for saving a Level 10 JPEG for 8x10 @ 300 dpi? Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 06-Nov-12 03:50 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Saving a Level 10 JPEG for 8x10 @ 300 dpi in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 06-Nov-12 03:52 PM by nrothschild

US

Before saving, you should click the crop tool, Select "Fixed Aspect Ratio" in the drop down, and then select "8x10 (Landscape or portrait as needed) from the other drop down, or if not available enter "8x10" in the custom size inputs. Now draw a crop rectangle around the crop you want and then double click inside the cropped area to "fix" the crop.

1. With the image open in CNX2, from the top menu click Edit|Size/Resolution

2. Click the "Resample image" radio button

3. Enter '10' in the width and select "inches" if not the default

4. Enter '300' in "resolution" and select "DPI" if not the default

5. Click "Apply" in the Size/Res edit step

Your image size should now be 3000 x 2400, which is 8x10 at 300dpi

6. You should now add a USM sharpening step, with a modest amount of sharpening, something like 15/5/0 or thereabouts will probably be about right but this is certainly subject to taste. Click Adjust|Focus|Unsharp Mask... to initiate this step. This MUST be done AFTER the re-size step.

7. Click File|Save As... from the menu.

8. Give it a name and select folder. File Type = "Jpg" from the drop down

9. On the pop up screen, slide the quality slider to 100%. This would be equivalent to a highest quality JPG. I forget the max value of Photoshop, which I think you are referring to as "quality 10". If some other number, and you do not want the highest quality, fudge it .

If you are trying to save an image in some equivalent to Photshops's quality scale, other than highest quality, or some other editor, the easiest way is probably to save in both editors, using different CNX2 quality settings, until the file sizes are roughly similar. Higher quality is always a larger file so they are roughly proportionate. They are doing the same thing, just using different scales.

my Nikonians gallery.

jmcameron Registered since 09th Aug 2012Mon 12-Nov-12 01:25 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Saving a Level 10 JPEG for 8x10 @ 300 dpi in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Tucson, US

Neil.
Your step-by-step instructions were right on the mark! I have learned that PS levels range from 1 to 12 versus CNX2 ranges from 1 to 100, therefore, a PS Level 10 to CNX2 of 83. Thanks again.
Best Regards,
John

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9576 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.