Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9516
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about color profiles" Previous topic | Next topic
William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Sun 28-Oct-12 10:03 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about color profiles"

Rambouillet, FR

I shoot everything in RAW and Adobe RGB. When I decide to resize and save in a jpeg format, at what stage in the processing should I convert to sRGB? Before doing any other modifications, or as the last modification before saving?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 29-Oct-12 10:08 AM
5969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about color profiles"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

My suggestion would be to make the change once you have done everything else, then want to have a sRGB JPG.

I occasionally have CNX or VNX make the color space adjustment. but mostly I rely on PhotoMechanic, as I am usually making the sRGB file for the web. I have PM change the space and resize the image, saving it as another file.

If you wish, you can have CNX do a batch process to a group of files, creating the jpg from the edited NEFs and changing the color space. Resizing is a little tricky, though, unless the images are all the same aspect ratio.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Lighter Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2012Mon 29-Oct-12 04:47 PM
1066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about color profiles"
In response to Reply # 0

Calcutta, IN

Hi

Allow me to point to a fact that as you are shooting RAW, it makes no difference what so ever whether you have aRGB or sRGB se as color profile in your camera. Color profile comes into play once you start editing your RAW file in a image editor. The camera color profile option is applicable for the in camera JPEG generation, for example if you are shooting RAW+JPEG, then the JPEGs will be generated from RAW using the color profile you have set in your camera.

So as my esteemed fellow member has already suggested, I would second his opinion. Import your RAW file in editor, edit in aRGB color space, after all editing steps are completed convert the color profile to sRGB, save the photo as JPEG.

Hope this helps.

http://500px.com/sriroyc
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sroyc/
My gear: D90, AF-S 300 f4, AF-S 18-55 VR, Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Sat 24-Nov-12 05:04 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about color profiles"
In response to Reply # 2

Rambouillet, FR

I'm still trying to get a handle on all of this. In NX2 in the color profile options I see Adobe RGB (1998), Nikon Apple RGB, Nikon Adobe RGB, Nikon sRGB, sRGB IEC61966-2.1, Spyder Calibrated (I do have a screen calibration gizmo) to mention just some of them, and I'm not sure which one you are all talking about. And then, if I have an ICC for a printer, when do I use that? When do you use an "output" ICC as opposed to an "editing" ICC?

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 24-Nov-12 06:47 PM
34636 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question about color profiles"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 25-Nov-12 12:17 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

When doing the editing, I keep everything (NEF, TIFF and JPEG for printing) in Nikon Adobe RGB.
If printing myself I then apply the printer's profile.

When producing the final product for the web, that jpeg file is resized, compressed and saved in Nikon sRGB color space.
The colors are subtly rendered differently and quite a few bits of color info are dropped, however the overall effect is for more brilliance and better contrast on the average PC screen monitors of viewers, including ours.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9516 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.