nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9515
View in linear mode

Subject: "Merge folders in NX2?" Previous topic | Next topic
glmoore001 Registered since 22nd Mar 2012Sun 28-Oct-12 03:08 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Merge folders in NX2?"

Rockford, US

I am just learning to use this software and have run into an annoying problem.
All photos end up in a separate file when imported. I would prefer that this does not happen.
So my question is:
1) Any way to merge the outstanding file folders in ViewNX2? I suppose I could drag and drop then delete the unwanted folders in explorer, but I am looking for an easier way.
2) Any way to add to the same folder automatically when importing?

Thanks... gary

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Mon 29-Oct-12 12:55 PM
1003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Merge folders in NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Gary,

In Nikon Transfer go to 'Primary Destination' and instead of the default 'Create subfolder for each download' click on 'Use subfolder with the same name if it exists'.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 04-Nov-12 09:19 PM
8917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Merge folders in NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Just a warning - if you have too many images in a folder performance gets very slow. It takes time to render a large number of thumbnails. I try to keep folders at 400 images or less after culling rejects.

I like having a new folder created for every download. There are occasions when I make another choice, but it works for me.

Also be careful about your naming convention. If you have files that have the same name, you can overwrite files in the same folder. TO avoid this issue I use a sequential number that does not repeat for all images that I download. Nikon Transfer provides this option - as does Photo Mechanic.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9515 Previous topic | Next topic