Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9487
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why I loose contrast and sharpness" Previous topic | Next topic
Pop315 Registered since 16th Oct 2012Sun 21-Oct-12 02:47 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why I loose contrast and sharpness"

Bangkok, TH

When I open a NEF file in Capture NX2, it seems to drop in contrast and sharpness after a few seconds. Why and how to fix this? Pls help.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 21-Oct-12 03:59 PM
6053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why I loose contrast and sharpness"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

It takes a little bit of time for CNX to apply all of the adjustments in your raw file to the image it actually displays.That delay that you see is that little bit of time.

The raw file is just data that must be interpreted by CNX to a displayed image. Aside from the basic image date, the raw (NEF) file contains the instructions for the raw converter to interpret and then display the adjusted image. Depending on your file size, camera settings, adjustments that you have made in CNX and the speed of your computer, that processing time can be almost instantaneous, or take a second or two.

If it is the first time you open a NEF file in CNX, it creates a preview JPG that will be embedded in the NEF once you save it, unless you've changed this option in CNX. You'll notice a significant increase in your NEF file if you open it, then save it with no additional adjustments. This preview also takes some time to generate, and I suspect is better processed than the thumbnail JPG generated by the camera itself.

Best bet, after you open an image, or make an adjustment, let CNX "settle" for a 2 or 3 seconds before you judge the results. Then you can easily adjust contrast and sharpness in CNX.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Pop315 Registered since 16th Oct 2012Sun 21-Oct-12 04:13 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why I loose contrast and sharpness"
In response to Reply # 1

Bangkok, TH

Thanks Mick, this is very helpful.

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Mon 29-Oct-12 07:16 AM
381 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why I loose contrast and sharpness"
In response to Reply # 2

Rambouillet, FR

In the upper right hand area, above the adjustments options, there is clock face type of icon which turns when processing is still on-going. It's been my experience that this can turn for several seconds when doing certain types of adjustments (like better quality 2012 noise reduction) so a quick glance at the icon can let you know if processing is still under way.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-12 07:22 AM
34753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why I loose contrast and sharpness"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

It is also possible that your camera settings are for sRGB color space and those in CNX2 are in Adobe RGB.
Just make them consistent (the same).
sRGB is best for Internet display.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9487 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.