Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9471
View in linear mode

Subject: "Catalogue & storeage" Previous topic | Next topic
expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Mon 15-Oct-12 11:57 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Catalogue & storeage"

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Interested in where & how you all keep your processed images.

Assuming Capture NX2 and NEF files, when having created a processed Master NEF do you leave it like that or do you create TIFF or jpg versions and store those, where do you keep them.

(Presently I simply create a master NEF plus a TIFF version and keep them in folders of fifty in number on a seperate HDD, very basic takes alot of space but thats no problem with the external dives available)

Have been hoping that Photo mechanic would introduce a catalogue system.

Obviosly the pros amongst us are going to have refined complex methods but what suggestions for an amatuer enthusiast?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 15-Oct-12 12:54 PM
5583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Catalogue & storeage"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Presently, I use Photo Mechanic, even though it isn't a cataloging program. I do not create TIFs, just the NEF and possibly a corresponding JPG, especially if I have created several versions of the image. I store in subject related folders on a primary and secondary internal hard disk, with backup on 3 external drives.

While the cataloging app under development for PM may be helpful, as yet I have not needed it.I have about 50,000 images stored.

Why do you limit your folders to 50 images?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Mon 15-Oct-12 01:49 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Catalogue & storeage"
In response to Reply # 1

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Hello Mick, 50 immages just for easy management, I keyword etc in PM but havent created any meaningful subject names for my folders.
I find that the difficult bit, each time I decide on names eg Cities or Wildlife etc I find there are so many subjects within other subjects.
I visited an English county recently, took lots of general shots but the majority were of animals in a park so do they go under UK Counties or Wildlife or what. Not a very good explanation but you get the idea?
Often consider a database cataloging program but it seems so time consuming. I am close to your way so maybe Il carry on but start naming the folders properly rather than buying a program which will just confuse me.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 15-Oct-12 01:56 PM
5583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Catalogue & storeage"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

David,

When all else fails, name the folder with the name of the place that you shot the picture. That usually works. Then you can group the folders by broader categories such as: Cities, Parks, Museums, etc. For em that works as a good way to know where to start to look.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Mon 15-Oct-12 02:22 PM
#4. "RE: Catalogue & storeage"
In response to Reply # 3

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Many thanks, looks a good place to start, fortunately I dont have as many as yourself.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9471 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.