Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9455
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problem with Nikon Camera Control 2" Previous topic | Next topic
karma1248 Registered since 10th Sep 2012Tue 02-Oct-12 08:17 PM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problem with Nikon Camera Control 2"
Tue 02-Oct-12 08:26 PM by karma1248

Los Alamos, US

HI All,

I hope this is the proper forum to post this request. I didn't find any forum where this really fit.

Well, I just received my new to me D2XS and I'm in the process of checking it out. All was going very well until now. I have the latest version of Camera Control 2. It's been tested with my D2H's and D70. It worked properly.

So as part of the checkout procedure I hooked up the new camera to my computer with the proper USB cable (the one that worked with the other cameras). I started Camera Control and it came up with the "No Camera was detected" message on its control panel as expected. I then turned on the camera, Windows responded with its little "I see you" gong meaning it recognized that a USB device had just been connected. Windows knows the camera (or some USB device) is there. I expected to see an indication that Camera Control recognized the D2XS with a note on its control panel as it would normally do.

But nothing happened. It behaves like the camera is not present. I tried different turn on and connection sequences. No help at all. I reconnected my D2H and D70 and Camera Control acted normally.

Whatever is happening seems to be associated strictly with the D2XS.

BTW, I was able to transfer photo files to Capture NX from the D2XS. This probably means the USB interface is working.

So, I ask if any of you have run into something like this. Is a driver involved? Usually if Windows needs a driver it goes out and finds one if it can.

Thanks for your help.

Sparky

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

karma1248 Registered since 10th Sep 2012Wed 03-Oct-12 07:47 AM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problem with Nikon Camera Control 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Alamos, US

HI All,
Thank goodness for the manual. I found the answer. It has to do with the selected interface in the camera. We have two choices for a hard wired USB interface. I had selected "Mass Storage" for the interface mode. The other choice was "PTP", whatever that is. The default is Mass Storage. Both use the USB cable.

According to the camera manual, this selection varies with the operating system. I run Vista Ultimate on my main desktop computer. Vista did not exist when the D2XS was a current model. The most current OS listed in the manual is XP. For XP either "Mass Storage" or "PTP" can be selected for "PictureProject". This would be for downloading image files. But, for Camera Control Pro (no version listed) we are directed to choose "PTP". This is the key.

For XP (or presumably later OS's), either Mass Storage or PTP can be used for image transfer. But not for Camera Control which requires PTP. So once PTP is selected the camera will transfer either image files OR operate Camera Control. There is no need to to change the menu selection on XP or later. PTP handles both images and control.

As soon as I selected PTP in the cameras Custom Setup Menu under the USB subheading, Vista recognized that a new USB device was connected and went searching for a D2XS driver and then installed it. I did not have to intervene. Camera Control immediately recognized the D2XS. The world was made right again. Everything now works as it should.

A word of caution. The most up-to-date version of Camera Control, Version 2.12, removes the D2XS as well as many other older cameras from the support list. This also includes my D70. So, do not update your version from 2.8 if you have, say, D70, D2XS or D100 era cameras.

I have to say that Camera Control is a really neat and handy program. I have been using Nikon remote control programs for years starting with the F5 and Photo Secretary. I do a lot of copy stand work and nothing could handier than controlling the whole operation from the computer including image transfer. Camera Control 2.8 is the best yet. Not only can you control all the photographic aspects of your task remotely from the computer, Camera Control gives you complete control over setting the Custom Menus content. This is much easier than using the LCD on the back of the camera.

I'm planning on installing Camera Control on my laptop for field use just to have the ability to easily and quickly change the Custom Menus.

Sparky

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 07-Oct-12 12:12 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Problem with Nikon Camera Control 2"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

Mass Storage makes the camera look like a disk drive to the computer.

PTP for a camera is the Photo Transfer Protocol and makes the camera look like a scanner to the computer or printer, if it accepts PTP. There is also a PTP for time servers and is used synchronize computers in a network.

Newer cameras do not have this option

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9455 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.