Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9442
View in linear mode

Subject: "IDimager Discontinued" Previous topic | Next topic
pencho Registered since 19th Jun 2012Sun 30-Sep-12 07:28 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"IDimager Discontinued"

Roswell, US

Just when I get a workflow that I am happy with I find out my DAM application IDimager 5 is discontinued and my primary editors CNX2 and Nik sold to Google. What a week! I have only been using IDI5 for about a year and now suddenly as of 9/18 it is no longer sold or patches, fixes, camera updates for RAW editing, etc. It's a very sudden announcement. I really like it for my cataloging and it's the base of my DAM solution, only using CNX2 and PS for editing of my 4 or 5 star rated. I am even more concerned than before about the future of CNX2 wih the sale to Google. I use Nik plugins and not sure of their future. I am going to have the start the painful process of looking at all my options and migration path. I would love to be able just to use PS CS6 or even PS and LR4 but that isn't possible without compromises to my workflow that I didn't want to make. But I think having to migrate my photo collection and change my workflow is going to make me reconsider those compromises. Is it possible in this rapidly changing DSLR and software world to expect not to ever have to migrate?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 30-Sep-12 08:26 AM
34662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: IDimager Discontinued"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 30-Sep-12 08:27 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

>Is it possible in this rapidly changing DSLR and software world to expect not to ever have to migrate?

Well, I still have to figure out how to recuperate images from my floppy disks. No. I am kidding, but I am sure someone could be in that position. Technology changes faster and faster.

By the way, CNX2 is alive and well, not sold to Google, property of Nikon, who is updating it to read new camera model's images.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 30-Sep-12 11:45 AM
6011 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: IDimager Discontinued"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

You might want to do a trial of Photo Mechanic to see if taht works for you. It is an excellent browser, file manager, tagging and rating program. A full cataloging version is also forthcoming (I think in a few months).

I don't see any need to abandoned CNX. If it is working for you with the CEP 3 filters, it will continue to do so. Photo Mechanic also plays nicely with CNX.

I think you will find this will be minimally disruptive to your workflow, as opposed to a switch to LR.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

pencho Registered since 19th Jun 2012Sun 30-Sep-12 04:51 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: IDimager Discontinued"
In response to Reply # 2

Roswell, US

Thanks for the replies. I see on the forums here that Photo Mechanic and CNX2 is a popular combination. It will be one of the products I look at I'm sure.

I do like the CNX2 and Nik CEP 3 filters for editing my NEF's. I won't be abandoning it anytime soon!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

klafollette Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009Tue 02-Oct-12 10:38 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: IDimager Discontinued"
In response to Reply # 0

Carol Stream, US

I too am in the same boat, using IDimager 5 and CNX2. Feeling like an orphan step-child these days. When I made the decision to go to IDimager years ago, I had looked at PhotoMechanic, but it had no database or index. You couldn't do a quick search for a photo based on metadata without it having to search/crawl through all the folders/files in the photo storage directory. Has anything improved there? I'll need to consider LightRoom, but have heard that it doesn't come close to IDimager.

Visit my SmugMug gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9442 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.