Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9426
View in linear mode

Subject: "Converting RAW to JPEGS" Previous topic | Next topic
Gerry Gingell Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2010Thu 27-Sep-12 08:17 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Converting RAW to JPEGS"

Augsburg, DE

I've managed to convert my edited RAW shots to JPEGs, BUT I ended up with two of each shot - one as RAW, and then a JPEG. Do I have to laboriously delete each RAW shot individually (there are a couple of hundred), or is there a way I can delete all the RAW shots in one go, leaving just the JPEGs? Is there any way I can convert a load of RAW shots into JPEGs and eliminate the RAW? I know I wouldn't want to do this with serious shots, but when they're holiday snaps I'm happy to do this. I'm sure there's something obvious and I just haven't worked it out - so would be grateful for some expert advice. I have View NX2 and Capture NX2, and have done it from within Capture NX2. Many thanks for any ideas - and for all the great things I learn every day from this site! Bye for now Gerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Converting RAW to JPEGS
mklass Platinum Member
27th Sep 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
27th Sep 2012
gpoole Platinum Member
27th Sep 2012
Asgard Administrator
27th Sep 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
28th Sep 2012
kennoll Gold Member
28th Sep 2012
Reply message Converting RAW to JPEGS
Gerry Gingell Silver Member
19th Oct 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
22nd Oct 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 27-Sep-12 09:51 PM
5977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Converting RAW to JPEGS"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Well, you could save the JPGs to a different folder, the just delete everything in the folder with the NEFs or delete the folder itself.

Or, you could use the CNX browser to display only the NEF's, select them all and delete them.

If also might be easier to do that in a file manager than an image browser.

But I do not know of a way to convert the NEF to JPG and delete the residual NEF all in one step while in CNX or VNX. They aren't actually converting the file, they are creating a JPG from the NEF.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 27-Sep-12 10:26 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Converting RAW to JPEGS"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Why would you want to delete the NEF?

Most keep it so if they need to adjust the image for a different resolution, crop, or make other adjustments to tone, sharpening, white balance, etc, the NEF is a better starting point as all previous edits can be removed and you can start fresh, at least with Nikon Capture NX2.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 27-Sep-12 11:36 PM
3695 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Converting RAW to JPEGS"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 27-Sep-12 11:40 PM by gpoole

Farmington Hills, US

Also the edit steps to create the JPG can be saved in the NEF as a version. After you have used the JPG to post on the Web, email, of make a print. Just delete the JPG, you can always recreate it from the edit steps that were saved in the NEF.

Keep the NEFs with the edit instructions to create the JPG, but don't save a separate JPG.

In many cases you can can avoid creating a JPG completely. A NEF file contains an embedded JPG image. Your camera embeds a Large Basic JPG when it creates a NEF file. When you edit and save a NEF in Capture NX2, CNX2 updates the embedded JPG with a Large Fine JPG that reflects the edit steps of the saved NEF. PhotoMecanic can extract the embedded JPG when you need a JPG version of your image. PhotoMechanic can also resize the JPG if needed for you intended use. PM can directly upload the extacted and resized image to most photo sharing websites.

Except for large prints I no longer create a JPG with CNX2. I upload JPGs to Zenfolio directly from PhotoMechanic without ever saving a JPG. When I need a JPGs for a Nikonians forum post or a my Nikonians gallery or I want a 4x6 prints, I have PhotoMechanic extract appropriate sized JPGs from the NEFs and put them in a temproary folder. As soon as I have uploaded the JPGs, I delete the folder.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Thu 27-Sep-12 11:10 PM
51210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Converting RAW to JPEGS"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Don't delete your original NEFs.

I would store them in a different file.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 28-Sep-12 02:26 PM
1559 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Converting RAW to JPEGS"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 28-Sep-12 02:31 PM by four eighty sparky

US

NEVER delete your raw files.

NEVER!

That's like throwing away film negatives.

NEVER delete your raw files.

Here's how I manage my images:

Initial camera file name might be D7K-1234.NEF. When I import the shoot, I put them into a file folder named for the shoot. Such as "Blue Bridge" or "2012 Vacation/Sun 2/Cave Falls".

Once I rate (star) the images in VNX, I edit them with CNX. When I get done editing them, I save the file in it's original folder. Then I name the image, say "Western Sunrise" and save it in another folder where I store all my keepers. I retain the original file number, so the image then becomes "Western Sunrise 1234.NEF". I keep the original file number here to retain the ability to find the original file in the original folder.

Once the edited raw file is saved in the second folder, I save it as a JPEG, "Western Sunrise 1234.JPG".

Further edits, such as for posting on the internet, get renamed again.... "Western Sunrise Post.JPG".

It may sound like a long road, but with the title "Western Sunrise", I can easily find the original file using the Search function.

With the price of memory constantly dropping, I can't imagine ever deleting an image, even if it's not a keeper and never gets edited. However, if you are inclined to an act of insanity and want to delete the raw files (It's raw, folks, not RAW.... it's not an acronym like JPEG)... just sort them in your File Manager by Type. That will group the JPEGs together, as well as the NEFs (NEF is an acronym.... Nikon Electronic File). One-click the first NEF file on the list, scroll down to the last one, and press the Shift Key when you one-click on the last NEF file on the list.

Press Delete to say bye-bye to all your hard work.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Fri 28-Sep-12 06:35 PM
801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Converting RAW to JPEGS"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

If both RAW and JPEGs are in the same folder just sort on file TYPE in Windows Manager (after changing the view to "details" in the drop-down box under More Options), select the NEFs and delete as a group. However, I would move the NEFs to another external NEF folder and/or burn them to a DVD or something. As others have indicated, if you need to re-adjust and make new JPEGs then you still have the source.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

Gerry Gingell Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2010Fri 19-Oct-12 08:20 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Converting RAW to JPEGS"
In response to Reply # 0

Augsburg, DE

Dear All
Thank you so much for your considered responses. I'm very much a newbie at the digital darkroom stuff and the computer side of things. I have seen the error of my ways and will not, for a second, now consider deleting my raw shots ever again! I have over 1,000 raw (I now realise it's raw and not RAW) from a recent trip to Bernkastel-Kues in Germany and wanted to edit them, then convert them to JPEGs so I could give copies on a disc to family members. I've now successfuly converted them all to JPEGs and put the JPEGs within their own folder. So thank you for suggesting that and for all the input which has helped me greatly.

Gerry

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 22-Oct-12 01:22 AM
1559 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Converting RAW to JPEGS"
In response to Reply # 7

US

If nothing else, you can shoot raw and create JPEGs in-camera. Just go to the RETOUCH menu, then select RAW (NEF) PROCESSING.

From there, you can make minor adjustments and create a JPEG in-camera with no computer.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9426 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.