Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9405
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best way to reduce red in an image?" Previous topic | Next topic
ornate_wrasse Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2006Tue 25-Sep-12 04:31 PM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best way to reduce red in an image?"

Portland, US

I just got back from a workshop at Zion National Park and the Slot Canyons in Page, AZ. In some of the images, only the red channel went off the right edge of the histogram. What is the best way in Capture NX2 to take care of blown red highlights?

Here's a link to an image I took at Lower Antelope Canyon:

I was shooting with my D300 in raw.

Thanks for any ideas!

Ellen

http://www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse/galleries

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Wed 26-Sep-12 05:53 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best way to reduce red in an image?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

In Quick Fix you can ...
Reduce Exposure Compensation
Increase Highlight Protection
Reduce Saturation

Any of the those will move the right edge of the histogram to the left. But a combination of two or all three might be a better approach depending on how far you have to move the sliders. I always try to leave a little extra space in the histogram when using the Develop module. This provides some wiggle room to account for subsequent processing with Edit steps, and is especially useful when converting to sRGB.

Regards,
Frank

ornate_wrasse Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2006Wed 26-Sep-12 08:09 AM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best way to reduce red in an image?"
In response to Reply # 1

Portland, US

I have used those ways to deal with the blown red highlights. But they apply to all channels equally I believe. Is there any way to deal with the blown red highlights that works on the red channel only? If so, how do I do it in NX2?

Thanks.

Ellen

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Wed 26-Sep-12 09:39 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best way to reduce red in an image?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

You'll need to use an Edit step. One good place to start is with something available in any edit step. Saturation/Warmth for example. At the bottom of the step click the triangle next to the word Opacity. Then click the RGB dropdown box. There you can adjust opacity for each color channel. You could reduce the saturation and turn the opacity for the green and blue channels to 0 (zero), thus reducing saturation only in the red channel.

You can also use a Levels & Curves edit step, which has an RGB dropdown immediately available at the top of the step.

The LCH editor would be worth looking into too, it's quite versatile.

Regards,
Frank

ornate_wrasse Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2006Wed 26-Sep-12 08:20 PM
#4. "RE: Best way to reduce red in an image?"
In response to Reply # 3

Portland, US

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will try them on my images. The workshop instructor mentioned there would likely be blown red highlights for the images taken in the Slot Canyons and he was right. He shoots Canon so obviously doesn't use Capture NX!

Ellen

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9405 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.