Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9369
View in linear mode

Subject: "Getting Focus Points Highlighted" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 19-Sep-12 06:00 PM
753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Getting Focus Points Highlighted"

Los Angeles, US

Being new to DSLR, there are a lot of things to learn about my D7000. Particularly autofocus. I make mistakes. So it is helpful for me to view my images in VNx2 and see where the AF focus points are.

It seems that with NEF images, if I click on the < > icon in the menu bar, the focus points appear in red.

But that doesn't work with JPEF images. Am I doing something wrong?

I have only tried this with about 10 files of both types.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Getting Focus Points Highlighted
Asgard Administrator
19th Sep 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
19th Sep 2012
gpoole Platinum Member
19th Sep 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
19th Sep 2012
glo Silver Member
01st Oct 2012

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 19-Sep-12 08:04 PM
49987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Getting Focus Points Highlighted"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

It should work with both, NEF and jpeg.

Have you processed the jpeg image in any way ?

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 19-Sep-12 09:21 PM
753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Getting Focus Points Highlighted"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

On a few of the JPEGs I reduced the pixel size. In order to meet the limit for images on eBay.

But that was only on a very few. In total I have probably 200 JPEGs that weren't altered in any way.

I'll try a few of those. The images I chose before had soft focus and that was why I was looking at them. To see how the AF system was behaving.

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Wed 19-Sep-12 10:05 PM
3614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Getting Focus Points Highlighted"
In response to Reply # 2

Farmington Hills, US

If you are using AF-C with the default release priority you may be taking the picture before focus is achieved. In that case I don't believe Nikon software will show the focus point.

The same thing could happen with AF-S if you have changed from the default of focus priority.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D800e, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 19-Sep-12 11:02 PM
#4. "RE: Getting Focus Points Highlighted"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Angeles, US

That's a big homework assignment. I opened about 50 images. Focus points were highlighted on most of them. Some were NEF some were JPG.

A few of the JPEGs reduced in size didn't show the Focus Points. And, like one of you said, a few that were focused in AF-C mode didn't show the points. A few others were set to AF-A and have the points.

To me this is a lesson in the complexity of Nikon AF. I would imagine the engineers at Nikon have clear purpose. My motivation is to learn more and to choose my focus method more carefully. And admit to being very lazy about rotating the little Multi Selector wheel to select my focus point.

It is a lot to learn. Lucky for me, most of my subjects don't move. I do a lot of product photography.

Thanks to all of you.

glo Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2005Mon 01-Oct-12 09:22 PM
914 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Getting Focus Points Highlighted"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 01-Oct-12 09:49 PM by glo

Montgomery, US

Gary:

This is my understanding of VNX2 and the use of highlighting the focus point.

The focus point that shows on your photo in VNX2 is the focus point that was used based on your selection of which focus point location you had chosen to use..

By using the Multi-selector on the back of the camera you can use the center focus point position or you can move it horizontally or vertically to another position. VNX2 simply shows the location of the focus point when the photo was taken. I use a D300 and am assuming the Multi-selector works the same way on the D7000.

If you focus and then recompose the focus point shown on the photo in VNX2 will be the focus point used, but it will not be placed on the spot at which actual focus was achieved.

The focus point will show on both NEF and JPEG files. However, if the size of the JPEG has been changed (such as cropping and probably resizing) it will not be shown on the photo in VNX2.

Grady
MY GALLERY

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9369 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.