Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9348
View in linear mode

Subject: "Google acquires NIK Software" Previous topic | Next topic
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 17-Sep-12 06:27 PM
4334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Google acquires NIK Software"

Alberta, CA

Well, here is something I never expected to see! On balance as a commited Capture NX user, I'd have to say this is a great thing (I think, maybe...).

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/09/17/google-acquires-nik-software.aspx/#comments

I'd also have to say bad on Nikon for letting this one get away from them

What I want is Capture NX3 integration with all the other NIK products.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Google acquires NIK Software
drbrog Gold Member
17th Sep 2012
Gandalf_22h Silver Member
17th Sep 2012
bandola Silver Member
17th Sep 2012
KolinP Silver Member
17th Sep 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
17th Sep 2012
spiritualized67 Silver Member
17th Sep 2012
PAStime Silver Member
17th Sep 2012
stappy Gold Member
17th Sep 2012
PlaFleurImages
18th Sep 2012
Aubrey Silver Member
18th Sep 2012
dgs2 Silver Member
18th Sep 2012
Gandalf_22h Silver Member
18th Sep 2012
mklass Platinum Member
18th Sep 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
18th Sep 2012
spiritualized67 Silver Member
18th Sep 2012
PROWLER69 Silver Member
18th Sep 2012
stappy Gold Member
18th Sep 2012
sfbillm Silver Member
19th Sep 2012
PROWLER69 Silver Member
22nd Sep 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
22nd Sep 2012
Howker Silver Member
23rd Sep 2012
jrp Administrator
23rd Sep 2012
sfbillm Silver Member
23rd Sep 2012
mklass Platinum Member
23rd Sep 2012
Aubrey Silver Member
23rd Sep 2012
mklass Platinum Member
23rd Sep 2012
sfbillm Silver Member
24th Sep 2012
TiggerGTO Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
sfbillm Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
26th Sep 2012
walkerr Administrator
26th Sep 2012
26th Sep 2012
walkerr Administrator
26th Sep 2012
26th Sep 2012
ecossephoto
27th Sep 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
27th Sep 2012
robsb Platinum Member
28th Sep 2012
newbird Silver Member
23rd Sep 2012
mklass Platinum Member
23rd Sep 2012
jrp Administrator
24th Sep 2012
jpdagenais Silver Member
28th Sep 2012

drbrog Gold Member Charter MemberMon 17-Sep-12 07:26 PM
870 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I wish it was Adobe that acquired Nik. That way we could have better integration with Photoshop.
I guess Nikon wasn't interested in the software side of things. I thought their relationship was very beneficial back when Capture 4.4 was upgraded to NX.

Jay Newmark
A Chicago Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gandalf_22h Silver Member Charter MemberMon 17-Sep-12 07:46 PM
998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Runcorn, GB

I have a bad feeling about this. Does not bode well!

Nikonian from Cheshire UK
per digitus ad astra

bandola Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2009Mon 17-Sep-12 08:10 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 2

CH

Same here i'm afraid.

KolinP Silver Member Nikonian since 13th May 2006Mon 17-Sep-12 08:16 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 17-Sep-12 08:17 PM by KolinP

Weston-super-Mare, GB

I wish I could share even your cautious your optimism Steve!

I've been yearning for years for more stand-alone versions of the Nik products ... and I wonder if Google's acquisition makes that dream more or less likely to occur?!?!?!

IMO, Google's once-upon-a-time reassuring slogan & philosophy of "Don't be evil" has shrivelled to nothing. The newer invulnerable Google is now as much out-of-reach and out-of-touch from the "people" end of their operations as are Tesco (to name just one other global and now impenetrable monopoly).

Google will do with Nik Software exactly what Google wants to do with it, and (although I really hope I'm wrong) Google will take no account of any future strategy that the Nik developers had been musing upon.

Likewise - I really really want Google to prove me wrong - but I bet they will neither seek nor heed the views of any of Nik's almost universally contented customers. (Witness Google's largely UNpopular and Borg-like incorporation-like-it-or-not of the once independent YouTube.)

What a wonderful day it would be if Google said to the Nik developers "we like what you're doing ... now here's the money to continue doing what you do best ..."?

On these big take-overs I can't decide whether I'm a cynical utopian or a utopian cynic, but whatever ... I find it hard to be optimistic now about Nik's future, never mind the future of Capture NX2/NX3 (although NX2/NX3 isn't related (so far!) to this news item).

Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
A doorway to my other photo sites

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 17-Sep-12 11:18 PM
4334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

With laser like tunnel vision, yes this was my first thought...
>
>What a wonderful day it would be if Google said to the Nik
>developers "we like what you're doing ... now here's the
>money to continue doing what you do.

But yah, if this was about Snapseed, and the mobile phone wars with Pinterst and Instagram, then yikes!

And I forgot about the murky ownership of Capture NX. Perhaps Thom or someone will come along to describe that.

Gol darn it, I like my TIFF-free workflow. Please don't let that change!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 17-Sep-12 09:13 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

I think this is real bad news for users. They just want to cut up the source code so they can re-purpose for mobile, web and app use. I don't see long-term support for a niche product in the cards (Google is more of a mass-market player). In essence, they are basically selling off the assets IMHO.

If I had to guess, I'd say we have two years before NX2 is completely phased out. Of course, this is complete speculation on my part, although I’ve worked on and off in software for the better part of 20 years.

I can't imagine this acquisition would have occurred if NX3 were imminent. I suppose I better start learning Lightroom, lol.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 17-Sep-12 10:45 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 5

Kingston, CA

>I think this is real bad news for users. They just want to
>cut up the source code so they can re-purpose for mobile, web
>and app use. I don't see long-term support for a niche product
>in the cards (Google is more of a mass-market player).

That was my initial reaction too on hearing the news. Of course it is all speculation.

Peter

stappy Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009Mon 17-Sep-12 09:27 PM
225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Alexandria, US

Google is not really in the business of prodcuing desktop software especially something as narrow as high end photography tools. I tend to agree with the assessment that Google bought Nik for SnapSpeed and the rest is just fodder.

Who owns what regarding the features in NX2 between Nikon and Nik (and thus now Google) will probably determine if there is now any possibility of NX3. I just don't see Google contninuing NX2. They certainly wouldn't just do a Nikon version and thus would effectively be challenging Lightroom and Photoshop. With already being at war with Apple, Facebook and Microsoft, opening up another front with Adobe would seem bold even for Google. Besides, right now Google needs the support of "Photoshop Professionals" to push Google+

I think a realistic hope is that they recoup some of their purchase price by selling off the Nik Efex products to some other small photo software shop. Or perhaps Adobe might make an offer and we would get U-point in Lightroom and Photoshop.
Probably the worst case scenario would be for Google to just hold the patents and let the product line die.

Brian

PlaFleurImages Registered since 24th May 2012Tue 18-Sep-12 12:33 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 6

US

When I heard this today, I wondered about the impact on NX2 (and beyond). Reading the comments is a bit depressing, since I find NX2 to be a great editing program. Time will tell.

Aubrey Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Tue 18-Sep-12 04:10 AM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 18-Sep-12 04:11 AM by Aubrey

Limassol, CY

My take is that Google bought Nik for Snapseed. This is to catch up with Facebook's Instagram.

Aubrey

dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004Tue 18-Sep-12 07:09 AM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 10

San Francisco, US

Goodbye NX 2. Too bad Nikon let it go away.

dgs

Gandalf_22h Silver Member Charter MemberTue 18-Sep-12 08:04 AM
998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 11

Runcorn, GB

Would like to be a fly-on-the-wall in Google boardroom, might hear what they think: "What's a plugin - an unnecessary injection of cash, Sell, Sell, Sell!!!"

Hope I'm wrong.

Nikonian from Cheshire UK
per digitus ad astra

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 18-Sep-12 04:28 PM
6066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue 18-Sep-12 04:30 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

While there is a lot of Nik in Capture NX (primarily the U-Point technology), Capture NX is a Nikon product and they own it. Nik has made that perfectly clear over the past year or two as their involvement with Nikon unraveled. So, my take is that any continued development of Capture NX was and remains independent of Nik.

Whether there is anything triggered by the change in Nik's ownership, only Nikon and Nik (and now Google) know. Perhaps this frees Nikon to do something more with CNX. Wouldn't that be nice!

One thing for sure, there will be no new Color Efex for CNX, and possibly no more Nik plug-in's, period. If the plug-in's are sold to Adobe or Apple, they will probably disappear into Photoshop, Lightroom or Aperture and not be available as standalones or for use by any other app as a plug-in.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 18-Sep-12 07:34 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue 18-Sep-12 07:37 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Or Picasa will get U Point technology.

It leaves the question about a full Nikon NEF processor up in the air. But I suspect Nik will no longer invest in that activity or the price will steeply climb.

There is always the chance Nik will be spun off at a later date when things go sour and Nik's staff has significantly changed.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Tue 18-Sep-12 03:58 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

Would love to hear what Jason O'dell thinks about the long-term prospects of NX2?

Jason, care to chime in?

~Dan

PROWLER69 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 18-Sep-12 07:22 PM
245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 18-Sep-12 07:25 PM by PROWLER69

Wading River, US

I saw this yesterday on Goggle+
Google VP Vic Gundotra replied to a concerned Nik customer on Google+ by saying:

Quote:
"Don't worry. We believe in the pro space and will continue to invest in these important plugins."
Also Nikon Rumors site statement about purchase is positive and thinks it will be a good thing for NX users.
Eddie

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson

http://edmund-365imagesin2009.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/gallery/view_img.php?id=27273

http://www.pbase.com/tomcat68/root

stappy Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009Tue 18-Sep-12 07:40 PM
225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 15

Alexandria, US

>Also Nikon Rumors site statement about purchase is positive
>and thinks it will be a good thing for NX users.

I wasn't sure if I was suppose to interpret the NikonRumors statement with internet //sarcasm// brackets or not.

I believe Nikon invested in Nik back in 2006 so Nikon probably had to be involved in the Google deal. As such, perhaps they may have negotiated a perpetual license to any technologies in CNX that were owned by Nik so they could continue CNX if they so choose.

Brian

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Wed 19-Sep-12 10:02 PM
862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 15

Santa Fe, US

>Google VP Vic Gundotra replied to a concerned Nik customer on
>Google+ by saying:
>
>Quote:
>"Don't worry. We believe in the pro space and will
>continue to invest in these important plugins."

Well, with all due respect, what could you expect him to say?
It's not likely to be that we got Snapseed, which is all we wanted, and we're going to deep-six the rest as soon as possible - even if that's the plan.

SantaFeBill

PROWLER69 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 22-Sep-12 03:17 PM
245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 18

Wading River, US

>>Google VP Vic Gundotra replied to a concerned Nik
>customer on
>>Google+ by saying:
>>
>>Quote:
>>"Don't worry. We believe in the pro space and will
>>continue to invest in these important plugins."
>
>Well, with all due respect, what could you expect him to say?
>It's not likely to be that we got Snapseed, which is all we
>wanted, and we're going to deep-six the rest as soon as
>possible - even if that's the plan.
>
>
>
Think positive, the glass is half full. Here is another quote from VP Vic Gundotra
https://plus.google.com/+VicGundotra/posts/RG15e22LHHE
Eddie

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson

http://edmund-365imagesin2009.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/gallery/view_img.php?id=27273

http://www.pbase.com/tomcat68/root

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sat 22-Sep-12 05:22 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 22-Sep-12 05:23 PM by glennaa11

Arlington, US

I'm not a "power user" by any means. But I have found that CNX2 does what I need it to for the most part, and quite well at that. And I have PS for the other stuff it can't do.

What do you guys want CNX2 to do that it doesn't do now? Is it just the desire for all of the Nik plugins that operate with PS in CNX? How would CNX3 be different?

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Sun 23-Sep-12 03:39 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 20

Redmond, US

As far as I know Nik Software were the developer for Nikon of the CNX etc. it's Nikons to either develope or let it die. They will look for some one other than Nik to take over the development of the program or they will leave the software arena.
I think the latter since they never seemed all that interested. Look how Aperture & Lightroom have progressed while CNX never improved & getting help with it was never in the same class as them.
Google has become for me just like a Private Equity company ( remember when they were called LBO's, leveraged buy outs.) it has no interest in anything unless it makes money usually at a "cost".

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 23-Sep-12 07:20 AM
34789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 23-Sep-12 07:41 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I do share some of the opinions already made:
It will be naive -at best- to expect Google/Nik Software to do anything for Nikon/Nikon Capture.
Google doesn't care about photographers, the same way that Facebook couldn't care less about photographers.
They both care about people who connect to Snapseed or Instagram.
Designed for those who massively shoot with phones and other mobile devices.

Vic Gunbdotra Google VP said: "Photography first: for everyone, and for professionals" and shows off an image that could very well be by him, although likely postprocessed by NikSoftware technicians.

The sentence sounds good for PR, but the order of its elements is like "oh, by the way, you photographers are welcome too."
And that is correct, their business is to capture the masses.

Nikon was surely aware that a resolution to their disagreements with Nik Software had to be found and most likely even had a saying on who could be the new partner/owner of Nik Software.

At the same time, a decision must have been made at Nikon over what is the future of Capture NX, their software for Nikon users.
Nikon has a software department that at least sketched Capture and of course they can hire subcontractors.

The question is whether they will consider it a distraction from their main purpose or an important item to retain -in reciprocity- the loyalty of Nikon photographers using it.
The other item is if they will be willing to make their encoding for NEFs an open source for others to build upon.

They have not betrayed their users since founded, so I still do hold hope that we will see further development, despite the advancement of other software that is beginning to displace Capture, whether it will developed in house or outside.

My partner Bo, on the other hand, sees it as a lost cause.

So far, Nikon remains silent.

What do you think?

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Sun 23-Sep-12 01:35 PM
862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 22

Santa Fe, US

>
>So far, Nikon remains silent.
>
>What do you think?

I think Nikon's silence is the most worrisome thing of all. Unless they are completely cut off from the Internet, they must be aware of the comments of concern that are being posted there.

It would seem the most natural thing in the world for Nikon to make some statement of reassurance - or at least clarification - about the future of NX. The fact that they have not can't be a good sign.

SantaFeBill

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 23-Sep-12 02:50 PM
6066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 23

Tacoma, US

>
>It would seem the most natural thing in the world for Nikon to
>make some statement of reassurance - or at least clarification
>- about the future of NX. The fact that they have not can't be
>a good sign.
>
Actually, it's no sign at all. Read it anyway that you wish: Bad-Nikon is letting the software die; Good- they are working an a new version and with Nik sold are now free to have at it.

Aside from complaints about support (really, is Adobe better?) the major complaint about CNX seems to be that it isn't new. We have become so used to the unending cycle of software upgrades every 12-18 months that something that still works well is considered bad because there isn't a totally new version. But Nikon does continue to update CNX for new bodies, adds some functionality and released a 64 bit version (not a minor effort to do that). You can actually do some really great post processing with it!

Of course I am biased. I getting older, but I still function pretty well. Upgrades are difficult, but possible, but I know there will be no V2.0

Mick
or

Aubrey Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sun 23-Sep-12 07:44 PM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 24
Sun 23-Sep-12 07:44 PM by Aubrey

Limassol, CY

Well Canon provides nothing special (as far as I can ascertain) for their users, so why should Nikon?

I don't expect to see an NX3, though I still wish for it.

Aubrey.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 23-Sep-12 09:53 PM
#27. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 25

Tacoma, US

Because Nikon is better than Canon. A few years ago, the Canon shooters that I knew were envious of CNX. Some still are.

Mick
or

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Mon 24-Sep-12 02:53 PM
#30. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 24
Mon 24-Sep-12 02:58 PM by sfbillm

Santa Fe, US

>Good- they are working an a new version and with Nik sold are now free to have at it.

But if that is what they're doing - and I most certainly hope they are - why not say so?

"We understand that Nikon users need imaging processing software that takes full advantage of the capabilities of their cameras. We will continue to develop Capture NX, releasing updates to support new cameras and fix any found issues, and we will ad features and functionality in the future."

See Nikon, that didn't hurt so much, did it?

SantaFeBill

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Tue 25-Sep-12 04:00 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 22

Apex, US

Perhaps Nikon remains silent on this because for all practical purposes Nik and Nikon had already gone their separate ways. I don't know what the arrangements are for who has the rights to which technology, but based on lots of things said in these forums and elsewhere on the Internet, it's been quite some time since the relationship between Nik and Nikon went down the tubes. I had already resigned myself that there was not going to be any major enhancements or additions to Capture NX2. I hope I'm wrong, but I think my preferred NEF-centric workflow based on PM + CNX2 is short lived.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Tue 25-Sep-12 05:40 PM
#32. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 31

Santa Fe, US

From comments here and other places, I gather that Nikon retained/took over CNX when the split occurred. If that's correct, then Nikon has the rights to still develop CNX if they so choose.

SantaFeBill

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 26-Sep-12 02:25 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 31

US

Hi Danny,

I too want to stick with a CNX2 centered workflow. In my case I have 300,000+ images cataloged in iMatch and he is finally getting to the point where an updated catalog app is within sight and my few performance related problems with iMatch will likely be resolved.

I closely looked at what it would take to get from here to there, in terms of migrating my archives to Lightroom, but I didn't like what I saw. That is more of a problem for me than the go-forward considerations and I don't want my image archive permanently split into two different groups accessed by different catalog apps.

If I am going to be held hostage to a raw converter I prefer that my raw files at least have an embedded up to date JPG, as we get in CNX2. I don't like the idea of being held hostage to Adobe Lightroom, where no one else will ever be able to display the edited results embedded in the Adobe XMP files. I also find iMatch far superior to LR in terms of my cataloging needs, and the new iMatch will resolve the few differences (mainly versioning).

It would be helpful if Nikon would lay out some sort of future vision for CNX2. But it does more or less what I need it to do, and my style of shooting a thousand images to get 20 I like is more in line with the Capture way of doing things. If I shot weddings and events where I needed to edit thousands of images in a shoot I would probably have to go to Lightroom, despite any other reservations.

Personally I find some advantage to Nikon's way of doing things here. This avocation is getting increasingly expensive. Being forced to update software just to get updated cameras accommodated (Adobe's plan) just makes it worse and is why I never used ACR/bridge via Photoshop. So, whatever we think about the pace of Capture updates at least we get new cameras accommodated at no additional cost. There is a silver lining somewhere in this cloud .

Just my own thoughts in this matter as a marketing population of one . I don't think Nikon can totally abandon Capture- they need a method to render high quality raw files beyond the rudimentary tools provided in ViewNX. In order to abandon CNX2 they would have to throw a fair amount of development money into ViewNX to provide for free what they now get paid for. That does not make much sense to this outsider.

Plus they do have a large pool of potential revenue to balance against the cost of a future true version update. Although that pool may be declining as CNX2 ages and many switch to Lightroom or the other raw rendering options. I think Nikon is under some time pressure in this regard. I see Lightroom as a fearsome competitor even if software revenue is not a prime consideration.

my Nikonians gallery.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 26-Sep-12 06:55 PM
14699 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 33

Colorado Springs, US

>Plus they do have a large pool of potential revenue to balance
>against the cost of a future true version update. Although
>that pool may be declining as CNX2 ages and many switch to
>Lightroom or the other raw rendering options. I think Nikon
>is under some time pressure in this regard. I see Lightroom
>as a fearsome competitor even if software revenue is not a
>prime consideration.
>
>

Keep in mind that other camera companies don't charge for their raw converters and that their business case for having a revenue-generating software program (or not) is fundamentally the same as Nikon's. They've all chosen not to have one, and most of their tools are quite stagnant. Their last major update, NX2, was in 2008. That's a long time ago in software terms and should be a reliable indicator of Nikon's organizational priorities. They've expended a lot of R&D since that time, and it hasn't gone into this area. It's gone into what they believe is their core business and where they're choosing to compete.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 26-Sep-12 07:03 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 34

US

I agree that history is not on our side here, but on the other hand, if Nikon has an equally stagnant tool, that makes them increasingly noncompetitive in this area, charging for old software that others give out free. And as they become increasingly noncompetitive their revenue stream (updates by the existing install base) keeps shrinking.

One can always hope . I know you prefer LR.

my Nikonians gallery.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 26-Sep-12 07:42 PM
14699 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 35

Colorado Springs, US

Why can't they simply go in the same direction as their real competitors (not Adobe or Phase One) and eventually turn it into their free tool? The principal investment in the product was made well in the past, so the economics are no worse than their competitors face. If they move to the free model, user expectations regarding upgrades and capabilities eventually align themselves. They also don't dilute their R&D investment on something that's not core business. Coupled with user demographics that are aging, it's a logical choice.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 26-Sep-12 09:08 PM
#37. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 36

US

>> Why can't they simply go in the same direction as their real competitors ... and eventually turn it into their free tool?

If the current revenue stream is poor then that might be a good move. But they sell millions of cameras a year, perhaps most to new DLSR users, so they have the potential for a very good revenue stream. I don't think any of us can estimate that.

In that event, it would be interesting to speculate on exactly when the accountants would allow them to make it free or exactly what it would take to make them come to that decision. I would imagine they will hang onto any revenue they get for as long as they can?

If they have a decent revenue stream then that is giving up a lot, and it would effectively destroy the investment they made in making Capture more than a basic free tool. That is a valuable and fully paid for asset. And it turns further maintenance (to support new cameras) into a cost center where now it is presumably at least a minor profit center and at worst a heavily subsidized cost.

It may not be their "core" business but it is certainly closely related. I think they have an interest in seeing that their customers get the best images possible- it reflects on the camera. Even if that is not mainstream thought in the camera biz.

We can only speculate of course since we don't know their development costs or Capture revenues.

my Nikonians gallery.

ecossephoto Registered since 21st Jun 2012Thu 27-Sep-12 06:54 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"

GB

"Why can't they simply go in the same direction as their real competitors (not Adobe or Phase One) and eventually turn it into their free tool?"

I have used the free software that comes with Canon, Panasonic and Fuji cameras. None of them come close to Capture NX.
Plus, View NX is free and does most of what the majority of camera buyers want. Note that camera buyers are not necessarily the same people as photographers.
I would like to see Capture NX to continue to be developed but on the other hand, it does all I need anyway. (I may feel differently if I had to batch process hundreds of photos).

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 27-Sep-12 09:58 AM
#39. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 38

Alberta, CA

>I would like to see Capture NX to continue to be developed but
>on the other hand, it does all I need anyway. (I may feel
>differently if I had to batch process hundreds of photos).

A couple of people have mentioned batch processing, and even there Capture NX 2 is very strong these days. I regularly do several hundred photo batch runs and experience no issues. The product has been very stable for a while now in that regard.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 28-Sep-12 05:59 AM
12972 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#40. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"

San Jose, US

Wile I agree that Nikon can certainly go in the same direction as their real competitors. I would argue that this thred has a lot of unnecessary hnad wringing. I think most of the posters are really worried about the fate of NIK plug ins. I do not see a direct connection to CNX2 as we already knew there were not going to be any more new NIK filters for Capture. What no one has mentioned is that without Capture or at least a better functioning View NX, you are paying for features on the high end cameras that are essentially useless without these Nikon SW products, as the camera settings cannot be read and processed. For me the fact that there have been no major costly upgrades to CNX2 is not an issue. I am happy with the functionality of the current SW and if CNX survives surely Nikon will continue to provide updates as new cameras and features are added to the product base. I think we all need to take a deep breath and just wait and see how this all pans out as NIK never owned CNX2, Nikon did.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Sun 23-Sep-12 08:26 PM
2003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

Undisclosed price = there is something more involved than price, some strategic deal not to be disclosed to competitors !

Hypothesis: for the masses, Google gets Snapseed now and Nikon sell Android-based cameras with Snapseed capabilities, for the pros Nikon get Nik plugins in NX3 (this lowers the cost of Nik for Google).

In fact, this is a wish as much as a hypothesis

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 23-Sep-12 09:54 PM
#28. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 26
Sun 23-Sep-12 09:55 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Yvan,

I like the way you think. And it makes sense. Let's hope the parties are that sensible.

Mick
or

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 24-Sep-12 07:11 AM
34789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 26

San Pedro Garza García, MX

A very good hypothesis, Ivan
Thank you.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jpdagenais Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2004Fri 28-Sep-12 12:31 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Google acquires NIK Software"
In response to Reply # 29

Saint-Basile-Le-Grand, CA

Hi,

It does not sound good for me.

We'll be fixed with the release of the next Nikon's DSLR.

NX2, will it be update or not, and how fast ? That is the question.

Jean Pierre Dagenais
Saint-Basile-le-Grand (Quebec)

Home site: www.imagiazone.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9348 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.