Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9339
View in linear mode

Subject: "CNX2 clean install, new computer" Previous topic | Next topic
russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sat 15-Sep-12 11:40 PM
1165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CNX2 clean install, new computer"
Sat 15-Sep-12 11:44 PM by russg

Phoenix, US

I'm finally dragging my sorry butt into the current century, at least as it relates to computers. For years I've been using CNX2 (and formerly CNX) on Windows XP (stop laughing, it's really not that funny), but I'm in the process of replacing my computers with all-new hardware and of course, Windows 7 (64-bit)....Yay! I am so looking forward to the increase in performance.

My question is whether to install CNX2 from my install disc or whether to just download the full current version from the Nikon USA website and type in the product key(s). I have the install discs from both CNX and CNX2 (upgrade), so I have both product keys. My inclination is to download and install the full 2.3.0 version, type in whatever keys are asked for, leaving my install discs out of the process other than allowing me to read the product key off the jewel case. After that I would then download and install the 2.3.4 update. But I thought I should float the question here first, since I'm obviously not the first Nikonian to do this and I've read more than a few horror stories regarding activating Nikon software, although I've never had any such problems.

What say you all?

Russ

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CNX2 clean install, new computer
DeanAZ Moderator
16th Sep 2012
russg Silver Member
16th Sep 2012
kennoll Gold Member
16th Sep 2012
russg Silver Member
16th Sep 2012
kennoll Gold Member
16th Sep 2012

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sun 16-Sep-12 12:11 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CNX2 clean install, new computer"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Forget the install disks and use the latest full version from the web. To register you will need both codes handy. Welcome to the 64 bit world. You will see a big improvement.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sun 16-Sep-12 02:05 AM
1165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CNX2 clean install, new computer"
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

Thanks for confirming the way to go about the install, Dean. I have been putting this process off for a long time, and I've finally managed to break the inertia. Not only was my hardware woefully obsolete, but all my software was multiple generations back of current. This means learning a new OS, Office 2010 (from Office 97 - yikes!), Adobe CS6 from CS3, new contact management, new Quicken and on and on. In fact, CNX2 is one of the very few programs that I won't have to re-learn. I'm rigging out my wife's desktop first, my desktop comes next week, and then finally my laptop. It's a real pain, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. Conversion of old data files to new versions is going to be the worst of it. Know any good Access programmers?

Russ

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Sun 16-Sep-12 01:48 AM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CNX2 clean install, new computer"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

I agree with Dean. Download and install, forget the disks (except for the activation code). First reason is that the download probably has more recent updates than your disk. You're also right in checking for updates once the new version is installed, up, and running.

Don't know the techs on your new computer, congrats BTW, but if it's running Win 7 then you'll be pleased I'm sure.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Sun 16-Sep-12 02:15 AM
#4. "RE: CNX2 clean install, new computer"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Ken.

Win 7 Pro 64
Intel Core i7 3770
Asus P8Z77-V LK Motherboard
Intel high definition video
16GB RAM
1TB 7200 RPM hard drive
Blu-ray burner

Oughta get the job done.

Russ

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Sun 16-Sep-12 06:42 AM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: CNX2 clean install, new computer"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, US

I have a desktop runing Win 7 Pro, Intel i5, 16gb RAM, 64 bit. it is a great system. You will be pleased with your setup, the i7 is a monster. It will really get the job done.

Office 2010 is not that much different from '97. Just take it slow in the beginning. All the same things are there just rearranged a little.

I would build the laptop to be the same as the desktop so as not to have different processes/processors depending on platform. At least the operating system and basic apps. My laptop also runs Win 7 Pro, 64 but but runs remote apps such as Camera Control Pro, Helicon Remote, Office 2010, etc. Both have VNX2. The heavy duty apps, PSE10, LR4, CNX2, Office 2010, etc., are on the desktop. I may put Autostitch on the laptop as well for panos.

There's a lot of differences depending on who you talk to re how to work between the desktop and the laptop. The pros here at Nikonians, including yourself, have more experience than I do re photographic processes.

Enjoy the current century. It's not all that bad!

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9339 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.