Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9272
View in linear mode

Subject: "Final print" Previous topic | Next topic
Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 29-Aug-12 08:09 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Final print"

Joanna, US

When I edit a shot in Capture NX2 and print it the printed view is not quite the same size. I notice this each time I edit and crop the shot. If the print would come out the size view as the final edit it would be great. It seems that it is "cropped" a little and sometimes this action will cut off a small part of the subject. The CNX2 print layout screen will show: paper: 4x6 (4.21x6.19) inch and printable area: 4.21x6.19 inch.

I use a HP Windows 7 home premium 64 bit OS and HP Photosmart 6510 printer. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Final print
mklass Platinum Member
29th Aug 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
30th Aug 2012
mklass Platinum Member
30th Aug 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
30th Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
03rd Sep 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
03rd Sep 2012
glo Silver Member
12th Sep 2012
duh59 Silver Member
13th Sep 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 29-Aug-12 10:11 PM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Final print"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

John,

The preview will show some cropping when you print borderless. If you print something it likely actually comes out looking that way. When you do a "full bleed" like that, some of the image goes off the paper to insure that the paper is fully printed with no white edge.

Does that seem to be the case?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 30-Aug-12 01:03 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Final print"
In response to Reply # 1

Joanna, US

Hi Mick,

Thanks for looking and your question. I don't believe that's the case as I tried with a border and the subject still cropped off some of the subject. This is the edited and cropped picture. When I try to print through CNX2 a small part of the hand and toes are cut off. Perhaps this is natural but when talking with Nikon today I was told that the saved edited view should print the same as the screen view. I checked with HP regarding the printer and apparently the settings are correct.

John

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 30-Aug-12 01:48 AM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Final print"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I print on Epson, so I can really do a test comparison.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 30-Aug-12 12:12 PM
#4. "RE: Final print"
In response to Reply # 3

Joanna, US

Thanks for your efforts, Mick. Have a great day.

John

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 03-Sep-12 01:47 PM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Final print"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

Sometimes the printer menus are quite confusing. It sounds like your printer is overriding the Capture print settings.

Take a look and see if a crop to fit box is checked. It may be under an Advanced or Options selection box.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 03-Sep-12 10:47 PM
#6. "RE: Final print"
In response to Reply # 5

Joanna, US

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your suggestion. I looked but couldn't find anything in the printer properties that relates to that. As noted, the edited shot would be nice if the print wasn't cut off. I can understand there being a little cropping but not as much as I've experienced. Guess I'll have to remember to take a wider shot and go from there.

John

glo Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2005Wed 12-Sep-12 02:33 AM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Final print"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 12-Sep-12 03:15 AM by glo

Montgomery, US

John:

Maybe I am missing something, but the aspect ratio of the photo you have posted is none of these sizes:

3x4, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10

If you are trying to print at any of those sizes or multiples of those sizes, then the printer will automatically crop off one or more edges to make it fit the print size.

To me it looks like you may have used free hand cropping without attention to print size/aspect ratio.

I think that if you will crop it to the ratio of a standard picture size, it should print almost exactly as you have cropped it.

Grady
MY GALLERY

duh59 Silver Member Charter MemberThu 13-Sep-12 04:47 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Final print"
In response to Reply # 0

Rochester, US

Hi John,

I tend to agree with Grady. The aspect ratio of your picture does not lend itself to a 4 x 6 picture. To print, at that size it will always be cropped. Try printing at 4 x 5 size on the 4 x 6 paper. You should get the complete picture but with "white space" around the picture.
I hope this helps

Virge

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9272 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.