Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9255
View in linear mode

Subject: "Software for putting a border around the photographs an..." Previous topic | Next topic
nileshmazumdar Registered since 24th Jun 2011Mon 27-Aug-12 05:32 PM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Software for putting a border around the photographs and signature"
Mon 27-Aug-12 05:36 PM by nileshmazumdar

Mumbai, IN

Hi,

A very basic question I suppose - besides photoshop are there any free downloadable software available for putting borders around photographs and putting ones signature/ watermark ?

Would want to use it for my photographs but don't know which is reliable and which is not .

(i don't think Capture NX2 has any option)

Nilesh

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Software for putting a border around the photograph...
mklass Platinum Member
27th Aug 2012
Asgard Administrator
27th Aug 2012
gpoole Platinum Member
27th Aug 2012
robsb Platinum Member
28th Aug 2012
gpoole Platinum Member
28th Aug 2012
nileshmazumdar
28th Aug 2012
nileshmazumdar
28th Aug 2012
bkinthebay Silver Member
27th Aug 2012
Asgard Administrator
27th Aug 2012
nileshmazumdar
28th Aug 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 27-Aug-12 07:24 PM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Software for putting a border around the photographs and signature"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Nilesh,

I don't know what free programs are out there.

If you have Color Efex Pro for Capture NX you can achieve this by applying the CFx Vignette filter, select the last filter shape from the drop down list, minimize the transition so you get a hard edge, set the opacity to 100, adjust the size as appropriate and select whatever color you want. It does fit inside the boundaries of your image, or the crop if you have cropped it. Because of that, it works best at providing a relatively narrow border, rather than the look of a wide mat.

Free if you already have Color Efex!

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 27-Aug-12 08:59 PM
50204 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Software for putting a border around the photographs and signature"
In response to Reply # 1

East Frisia, DE

Thanks for the info

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Mon 27-Aug-12 09:53 PM
3630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Software for putting a border around the photographs and signature"
In response to Reply # 1

Farmington Hills, US

Mick

Great trick. Thanks

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 28-Aug-12 12:27 AM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Software for putting a border around the photographs and signature"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 28-Aug-12 12:34 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

You don't need Color Efex Pro to do this. Take your image, and if you have space that you can give up don't crop the image. Now with the image open Select the Marque tool, and pick any of the methods, but for a rectangular frame, pick the rectangular marque. Make sure you have the minus version selected and now draw your frame. The area outside the frame is now selected and you can use ANY tool in CNX2 to work this region, so you can blur it, colorize it, apply gradients, etc to your hearts content i.e. using any tool in CNX2.

As far as signature is concerned, if you are careful you can create a colorize brush and write the signature right on the image. Since it will be an edit step you can easily remove it if you are not happy with the results.

Now for short soapbox message.

With a bit of imagination it is possible to create many of the effects you find in tools like Color effects pro. As you experiment and you find a series of edit steps that work for you, you can save these edit steps to be recalled at any time to add the same effect to another image. CNX2 is way more powerful than most people realize.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Tue 28-Aug-12 01:59 AM
3630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Software for putting a border around the photographs and signature"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 28-Aug-12 02:20 AM by gpoole

Farmington Hills, US

I like your border idea even better than Mick's because it doesn't require the Color Efex Pro plugin to CNX2.

For signatures there's NXsignature available here. The article is in French but it's not to hard to figure out even if you don't read French. NXsignature creates a colorize brush from a JPG file. You can use any simple painting program to create the JPG used as the colorize mask. You could also photograph or scan a hand written signature if you prefer.

Because I'm a PhotoMechanic user I've chosen to use its watermark feature when saving files for Web use and other images I want to visibly protect.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

nileshmazumdar Registered since 24th Jun 2011Tue 28-Aug-12 05:06 AM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Software for putting a border around the photographs and signature"
In response to Reply # 6

Mumbai, IN

Thanks

nileshmazumdar Registered since 24th Jun 2011Tue 28-Aug-12 05:05 AM
#9. "RE: Software for putting a border around the photographs and signature"
In response to Reply # 1

Mumbai, IN

Thanks

bkinthebay Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2010Mon 27-Aug-12 08:43 PM
358 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Software for putting a border around the photographs and signature"
In response to Reply # 0

Auderghem, BE

If you have a Mac, you might want to try the software referenced in my signature.

Bernard.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 27-Aug-12 10:35 PM
50204 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Software for putting a border around the photographs and signature"
In response to Reply # 2

East Frisia, DE

Downloaded. I will check it

Thanks.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

nileshmazumdar Registered since 24th Jun 2011Tue 28-Aug-12 05:04 AM
#8. "RE: Software for putting a border around the photographs and signature"
In response to Reply # 2

Mumbai, IN

Thanks - I have a Mac and will try it

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9255 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.