Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9222
View in linear mode

Subject: "Storing and titling photos of text pages" Previous topic | Next topic
wdc202 Registered since 16th Aug 2012Mon 20-Aug-12 04:11 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Storing and titling photos of text pages"

US

I plan to use a Nikon camera (with ViewNX2 software) to photograph each of 100 pages of a document named, say, RED. I also plan to photograph each of 100 pages of a document named, say, GREEN. I will be transferring the photos from the camera to my pc (with XP) via the Nikon camera-to-PC cable.

Q1: Where are these photos stored in the pc? – Can I designate a folder C:\ RED to hold the Red pages and another GREEN to hold the Green pages? How do I do that?

Q2: Is there an easy way to rename all the Red photos -- from the titles that VIEWNX2 assigns to, say, “Redpage 1”, “Redpage 2”.\, etc. ?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Storing and titling photos of text pages
robsb Platinum Member
23rd Aug 2012
barrywesthead Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
23rd Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
30th Aug 2012
cliddell Silver Member
31st Aug 2012

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 23-Aug-12 12:16 AM
12764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Storing and titling photos of text pages"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Tnsfer 2 is part of ViewNX2 and this is what you should use to transfer your photos. When you click on the Transfer Icon in View NX2, it opens Transfer 2. At the top you will see a series of tabs. Within these tabs you can select the source, in your case the camera, though using a card reader will be faster, and then you can select a destination. When you select a destination you pick a drive, and a folder to store the transferred files to. If that directory location does not exist, it will be created. So first you would use the RED source, pick a folder like C:\Documents\RED and do the transfer. You would then go back and pick Green Source and then make the destination C:\Documents\GREEN. You will also not in the tabs you can choose to rename the files as they are transferred. You pick a name,say green page, select the number representation in this case srting number 1 length 3 and then as the files are stored they will be nameded green page _oo1, etc.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Thu 23-Aug-12 08:20 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Storing and titling photos of text pages"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 23-Aug-12 03:21 PM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

A tip on photographing documents:

Set the exposure in manual mode, not auto, using a grey card if you have one or if not using a typical page of the document and checking the result on the camera lcd by looking at the image and checking the histogram.

If you use auto exposure mode the exposure will vary with each page depending on the content and the camera exposure system can be confused by the combination of white background and page contents.

EDIT:
I noticed in another thread that you intend to photograph images on a microfilm viewer. If this is the case, using the grey card to set exposure would not be applicable. Just use a typical document page to set the exposure on manual. Setting the aperture to f8 and adjusting the shutter speed to the correct exposure will be fine for your purposes. You will definitely need a tripod. For this application an inexpensive tripod will be fine (unless you plan to use it for longer range more distant subjects in the future, in which case investing more money would be justified).

You should also use manual focus as some documents may have no content where the focus targets are pointing. You can set up the tripod, autofocus on a document and then switch the focus to manual for the remainder of the shoot. Be sure the viewer is focused for each page.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 23-Aug-12 02:55 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Storing and titling photos of text pages"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 23-Aug-12 03:38 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

First, I would use a card reader and not a direct connection to the camera. When a Nikon camera is connected to a computer, the camera is only powered by the camera's battery or power supply and not the computer. So it is possible the camera will die during a long transfer when a battery is less than fully charged.

Also many transfer programs have an automatic delete and reformat option after transfer that has bitten more than one user when a transfer goes south. Nikon Transfer has had more than 2 versions that have corrupted transferred images. The most recent issue is with Nikon D800.

With critical images, make a fully separate backup on a CD or DVD before any transfer for editing.

With Window's Explorer or Apple's Finder application you can create unique folder for each set of images and there are many utilities that can perform a mass rename or images in a folder or selected files. I would also not use or modify the media card in any way until you are satisfied that all of the images have been successfully transferred and you no longer need the original images on the media card.

Most PCs place the images in the "My Pictures" folder within the " My Documents" folder. The exact name of the folders is dependent upon your login name.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 30-Aug-12 07:04 PM
8609 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Storing and titling photos of text pages"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

If you are using Nikon View NX2 and the related Nikon Transfer program accessed from within View, you should be fine. The corruption issue is with an old program called Nikon Transfer - version 1.5.3 - and it should not be used unless you have an old computer not compatible with View.

I don't see any real problem with using the cable connection. It's a little slower than a card reader. Make sure your have at least 25% of your battery.

George makes a good point about deleting images when they are transferred. Make sure you do not delete any images when they are transferred since any problems cannot be recovered if the original images are gone. Verify you have the images - and ideally make a backup copy - before you delete anything. You can review the settings under the Preferences in Nikon Transfer.

Nikon Transfer allows you to have a lot of flexibility in naming files. Choose an approach that works for you.

Spend a little extra time getting exposure right for the first image. There are several ways to get a good exposure - exposure compensation on an automated setting or simply use manual exposure.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Fri 31-Aug-12 07:52 AM
996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Storing and titling photos of text pages"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Sid,

What a great idea! I have a couple of microfische readers for both the bike and car manuals and would like to use your idea to convert the manuals to electronic files.

My fische documents are mostly black writing on white background and just thinking about it I would experiment a bit to get a good exposure and contrast (and probably WB).

Please let us know how it works out!

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9222 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.