Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #919
View in linear mode

Subject: "Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?" Previous topic | Next topic
billg71 Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Aug 2006Wed 13-Jan-10 03:21 PM
1068 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Poll question: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"

Acworth, US

I've been following the recent thread and just thought I'd put up a poll.

Give it your best shot!

Bill

Poll result (129 votes)
yes (96 votes)Vote
no (31 votes)Vote
maybe(elaborate, please) (2 votes)Vote

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Jan 2010
billg71 Gold Member
13th Jan 2010
robb
13th Jan 2010
cliddell Silver Member
13th Jan 2010
gusgunn
13th Jan 2010
Howgill One
13th Jan 2010
robsb Platinum Member
14th Jan 2010
Ramesses
14th Jan 2010
mburke
14th Jan 2010
sidewinder Silver Member
17th Jan 2010
billg71 Gold Member
16th Jan 2010
mklass Platinum Member
17th Jan 2010
Baaker Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
sidewinder Silver Member
19th Jan 2010
sidewinder Silver Member
22nd Jan 2010
jrp Administrator
22nd Jan 2010
sidewinder Silver Member
22nd Jan 2010
jrp Administrator
23rd Jan 2010
sidewinder Silver Member
23rd Jan 2010
jrp Administrator
23rd Jan 2010
robsb Platinum Member
24th Jan 2010

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 13-Jan-10 03:34 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

There are many common issues in post processing and the exchange of information about other products should provide all usurers with a better understanding of post processing procedures and capabilities.

Also what about those who use the Nikon products and a 3rd party product in their work flow. Maybe we need a forum for each type of editing program. And after that we can have a separate forum for every camera, post processing program, tirpod, speedlight, etc.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

billg71 Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Aug 2006Wed 13-Jan-10 05:35 PM
1068 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 0

Acworth, US

Interesting results so far, dead even with one "maybe".

Nikonians used to have a separate forum for Photoshop: http://web.archive.org/web/20031203032048/www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?conf=DCConfID9 with all other software discussion dumped together in another forum.

Bill

Georgia Nature Photographers Association

robb Basic MemberWed 13-Jan-10 07:11 PM
1072 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 13-Jan-10 07:13 PM by robb

Central Valley, CA, US

I voted Yes even though I do not use NX.. The reason I voted yes is simply because there seems to be enough genuine interest from members supporting Nikonians and are users of the software who are asking for it, and it does seem like a reasonable request... Furthermore, I cannot say I have seen any benefit to my personal postprocessing from any of the capture NX posts.. so the argument about "general postprocessing information" does not apply in my case..

Best Regards,
Rob

http://www.robbohningphotography.com
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. -- Psalm 19:1

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Wed 13-Jan-10 07:52 PM
992 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

I would prefer to have a "Nikon Software" forum which would include programs such as ViewNX and Camera Control Pro for example as well as CNX.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

gusgunn Registered since 14th Jan 2009Wed 13-Jan-10 08:24 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 4

Nottingham, GB

There seems to be so little on the internet relating to Capture NX\NX2 relative to what's out there for other products, especially those from Adobe. So I think there is a real need for a forum specifically devoted to Nikon software and this site would appear to be a logical place for it. After all, although this site is not affiliated to Nikon, it does contain a great deal on Nikon hardware, but very little on software. What's more I don't intend to buy Photoshop as I will never need most of the functionality it provides. NX2 works well for me, especially the U-point technology, but I would like to get more out of it and learn from the experiences of others.

Gus

Nottingham, UK

Howgill One Registered since 29th Jul 2007Wed 13-Jan-10 10:11 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

One reason I voted yes to a CNX forum is that such a forum here may periodically be reviewed by Nikon and their software contractor, Nik. They would find further evidence of what an awfully good (by which I mean awful interface, but good results) opportunity they seem to be so ambivalent about.

David Barrett
Cumbria, UK

http://www.inspiredbythelandscape.com/
http://www.david-barrett.co.uk/
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chapelbeckmill/
Linked-in: http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidbarrett1

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 14-Jan-10 03:52 AM
12557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I voted yes for the same resons I suggested it to the founders months ago. While it is true that I own both CS4 and Capture NX2, many people don't have both and Adobe has been at it so long that there is plenty of sources, some may say too many, on how to use it. While there are some sources for info on CNX, it is limited. As others have pointed out this is Nikonians and we all shoot Nikons, so this is the logical place to find a Nikon SW forum.I check this site every day and Nikon and Flickr from time to time. I don't want to have to visit multiple sites to discuss NX2. The top poll shows more NX2 users than any other Post processing SW used here on Nikonians. We need to give the moderator time to discuss this with management, but I believe a separate forum is the right choice.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Thu 14-Jan-10 05:29 AM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi:

I voted for the NX only forum. However, I am very much in favor of having a Photoshop forum, as well. I am concentrating in LR and CS4, because I'm almost done with equipment.

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

mburke Registered since 29th Dec 2004Thu 14-Jan-10 12:02 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 8

Rhinelander, US

I think an NX forum, with the other Nikon and Nik software, would keep me a member. The software forum is the first and sometimes the only forum I check on this site. When time allows I will browse some of the other areas, especially if I'm looking at new equipment.

NX2 is a great piece of software that is really under used by many photographers. By sharing the way we all use it our workflow will be greatly enhanced.

When NX2 is used with Color Efex filters it will do 99% of what a person had to do the photo without cloning out Aunt Gladys or putting a moustache on Uncle Joe.

Hope the management sees this as a good thing.

Mike

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Sun 17-Jan-10 06:55 AM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>I think an NX forum, with the other Nikon and Nik software,
>would keep me a member. The software forum is the first and
>sometimes the only forum I check on this site. When time
>allows I will browse some of the other areas, especially if
>I'm looking at new equipment.
>
>NX2 is a great piece of software that is really under used by
>many photographers. By sharing the way we all use it our
>workflow will be greatly enhanced.
>
>When NX2 is used with Color Efex filters it will do 99% of
>what a person had to do the photo without cloning out Aunt
>Gladys or putting a moustache on Uncle Joe.
>
>Hope the management sees this as a good thing.

I agree 100%. There should be a Nikon/Nik Software sub-forum. The work flow for those using Capture NX uses much different software than those that use Adobe or Apple products.

Scott

billg71 Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Aug 2006Sat 16-Jan-10 10:09 PM
#10. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 0

Acworth, US

Just a bump...

Georgia Nature Photographers Association

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 17-Jan-10 04:21 PM
5813 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 10

Tacoma, US

"Yes" from me.

This has been an interesting discussion.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Tue 19-Jan-10 07:16 AM
923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 12

Dumbarton, GB

Has anyone tried contacting the moderators directly and if so what was their response? It looks like they are going to "sit it out"?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43019448@N04/

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Tue 19-Jan-10 10:07 AM
737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>It looks like they are going to "sit it out"?

The moderators do a lot of that. It's not clear what mechanism works to get the attention of the moderators or site owners.

Scott

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Fri 22-Jan-10 01:39 AM
#15. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Would a moderator, administrator, or site owner respond this thread please.

How do we go about getting a separate forum for users of Capture NX (1, 2, etc.) to discuss Capture NX and the associated workflow?

That would include integrating applications such as Nikon Transfer, ViewNX, and Photo Mechanic into the Capture NX centric workflow. This really is a different world than those using Aperture, Lightroom, and Photoshop Elements or CS4.

Scott

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 22-Jan-10 03:12 AM
34193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 15

San Pedro Garza García, MX

We hear you.
The work load is just a bit too much at this time, the task not uncomplicated and the best time to perform it at most inconvenient hours. Be patient.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Fri 22-Jan-10 05:16 AM
#17. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 16

US

>We hear you.
>The work load is just a bit too much at this time, the task
>not uncomplicated and the best time to perform it at most
>inconvenient hours. Be patient.

JRP,

I am not impatient. All someone on staff had to do was communicate with the folks watching the two threads on this topic. Silence is never the right answer.

Based on your response, it would appear you have decided to move forward with the request of creating a Capture NX/Nikon Software sub-forum. Is that the case? Have you decided how you might change the forum structure to accommodate the change?

Thank you,

Scott

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 23-Jan-10 07:29 PM
34193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 17

Yes.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010Sat 23-Jan-10 08:07 PM
#19. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 18

US

>Yes.

That is excellent news! I look forward to the change and plan on being an active participant in the forum.

Thank you!

Scott

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 23-Jan-10 09:38 PM
#20. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 19
Sat 23-Jan-10 09:39 PM by jrp

We used to have a Nikon Capture forum and it had to be consolidated.
It now seems to be enough interest to warrant its coming back.

In the meantime check this NX2 video by our good friend Michael Rubin, recently promoted to Senior Manager of Product and Software Applications at Nikon USA.

Have a great time

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 24-Jan-10 04:09 AM
12557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#21. "RE: Would you like to see a Capture NX forum?"
In response to Reply # 20

San Jose, US

Ramon thanks for the link and for responding to the thread.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #919 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.