Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9180
View in linear mode

Subject: "CNX2 Unsharpening while Updating" Previous topic | Next topic
ColColt Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Fri 17-Aug-12 01:35 AM
1216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CNX2 Unsharpening while Updating"
Fri 17-Aug-12 01:59 AM by ColColt

Knoxville, US

I've been away from the camera and post processing for the most part for about a year now other than some pics of my dog here and there. Today was his 8th birthday and I wanted to shoot some indoor/outdoor shots of him. After uploading from the card and going into CNX2 ver 2.2.4 I saw over and over when trying to edit an image that upon opening a photo the top of the image that shows the CX2 icon and size of the image(usually 15.8 with the D200) it starts "updating image". When it's done the photo isn't as sharp as it was prior to this "updating" What's the story with that? I have to resharpen when in some instances it's not necessary until NX2 decides to update it. You can literally watch it go soft.

BTW-I read where there's a 64 bit version available. How do I get this? I have Vista and of course, some programs are 32 and others 64 bit. NX2 is still 32 bit on my machine.

My goal in life is to be the person my dog already thinks I am.

Children are for people who can't have dogs. ~Author Unknown

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CNX2 Unsharpening while Updating
robsb Platinum Member
17th Aug 2012
ColColt Gold Member
17th Aug 2012
ColColt Gold Member
17th Aug 2012
robsb Platinum Member
18th Aug 2012
ColColt Gold Member
18th Aug 2012
FrankSRGB Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
ColColt Gold Member
18th Aug 2012
ColColt Gold Member
19th Aug 2012

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 17-Aug-12 06:49 AM
12951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: CNX2 Unsharpening while Updating"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Go to the Nikon site and download CNX 2.3.2 64 bit. If you have Nik filters installed you should also go to the NIK site and download the patch that will let it work with 64 bit CNX2. Once all that is running see if you still have a problem.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ColColt Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Fri 17-Aug-12 03:51 PM
1216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CNX2 Unsharpening while Updating"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 17-Aug-12 05:26 PM by ColColt

Knoxville, US

I tried to install that but it wouldn't let me. I have to have 2.3.0 or later so I found that but it's listed as a 60 day trial for CNX2.

OK, I went ahead and downloaded 2.3.0 and tried to enter my product key but there's five blocks of five numeric numbers there and I only have enough numbers for four boxes so the "OK" button is still grey and can't continue.

ColColt Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Fri 17-Aug-12 06:03 PM
#3. "RE: CNX2 Unsharpening while Updating"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 17-Aug-12 11:16 PM by ColColt

Knoxville, US

I was fortunate to find the original disc and cover and there is another set of five numbers on it and all went well with the installation to 2.3.0. Once I did that, I updated again to 2.3.2. However, that still didn't solve the original question of why the image appears sharp until it's "updating image" appears. Once that's done, I've noticed eyes will go somewhat soft. It's sharper before the updating image process.

Anyone care to take a shot at this? Surely I'm not the only one that's seen this.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 18-Aug-12 01:21 AM
12951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: CNX2 Unsharpening while Updating"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

Try this thread:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=133&topic_id=9142&mesg_id=9142&page=

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ColColt Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Sat 18-Aug-12 03:29 PM
#5. "RE: CNX2 Unsharpening while Updating"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

That didn't really help. The thumbnails even appear soft when I open the browser. I don't recall that looking that way before. Even in going from 2.2.4 to 2.3.2 I see no difference in what happens when the image goes into the "updating image" function. What is surprising is the thumbnails. They weren't soft before. The .NEF files open quick enough since I have 6mb of memory on an Intel i7 920 processor and my OS is Vista Home Premium but, the softness of the thumbnails and why the previews go soft is still alluding me.

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Sat 18-Aug-12 05:49 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: CNX2 Unsharpening while Updating"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 18-Aug-12 05:50 PM by FrankSRGB

US

When you load the image, and if you have enough time to do it, try double-clicking the magnifying glass icon to punch the image up to 100% _before_ the "updating image" message goes away.

If sharpness doesn't get reduced at 100% after the updating image message goes away, you're probably seeing the result of dithering. IOW at 25% you're only seeing 1 in 4 of the available pixels. Something's gotta go and edges are not immune.

Don't know what to suggest about the thumbnails.

Regards,
Frank

ColColt Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Sat 18-Aug-12 11:07 PM
#7. "RE: CNX2 Unsharpening while Updating"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 18-Aug-12 11:47 PM by ColColt

Knoxville, US

>When you load the image, and if you have enough time to do
>it, try double-clicking the magnifying glass icon to punch the
>image up to 100% _before_ the "updating image"
>message goes away.

It wasn't near as noticeable when I tried that but I seldom bump up to 100% unless altering the sharpness.

>
>If sharpness doesn't get reduced at 100% after the updating
>image message goes away, you're probably seeing the result of
>dithering. IOW at 25% you're only seeing 1 in 4 of the
>available pixels. Something's gotta go and edges are not
>immune.
>
>Don't know what to suggest about the thumbnails. I still had the photos on the card I last used and compared the previews with the thumbnails and they are much sharper so, it has to have something to do with NX2 and the way it displays the thumbnails.
>

>Regards,
>Frank

I know the thumbnails were clearer before and can't understand what happened. I don't think they should look that way.

ColColt Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2008Sun 19-Aug-12 03:14 PM
#8. "RE: CNX2 Unsharpening while Updating"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 19-Aug-12 04:11 PM by ColColt

Knoxville, US

No one else has experienced this before or have any ideas? CNX2 is apparently softening the thumbnails as the image is sharper than what appears and I don't recall it happening before. Opening the browser, nearly all images are soft. An 1 1/4" x 1 3/4" image should be sharper than I'm seeing.

Never mind.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9180 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.