Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9176
View in linear mode

Subject: "Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?" Previous topic | Next topic
TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Thu 16-Aug-12 03:57 PM
2252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
Thu 16-Aug-12 03:58 PM by TiggerGTO

Apex, US

For most of the last year, my participation in photography has waned a bit. Consequently, I feel out of touch with what's going on with various topics. Has anybody heard anything that has given an inkling or indication that Nikon plans to keep the Capture a current and viable application? Will there ever be an NX3 with various new and improved features? Will there ever be a version that is compatible with the whole Nik suite? So far, the best that Nikon has done is minor updates that include support for new bodies and minor bug fixes and finally delivering the performance benefits of a 64-bit application. When was the last time they added any significant new features or functions. As much as I like my PM + CNX2 workflow, I'm afraid that CNX2 is becoming very old and wrinkly.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?
macfish
16th Aug 2012
robsb Platinum Member
16th Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
17th Aug 2012
TiggerGTO Silver Member
17th Aug 2012
Reply message RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No
sfbillm Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
Del
19th Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
19th Aug 2012
TiggerGTO Silver Member
20th Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
22nd Aug 2012
walkerr Administrator
22nd Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
22nd Aug 2012
sfbillm Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
walkerr Administrator
23rd Aug 2012
James23p Moderator
23rd Aug 2012
walkerr Administrator
23rd Aug 2012
sfbillm Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
                                   Reply message RE: Google buys Nik
sfbillm Silver Member
19th Sep 2012
                                        Reply message RE: Google buys Nik
JonK Moderator
19th Sep 2012
JonK Moderator
23rd Aug 2012
sfbillm Silver Member
25th Aug 2012
walkerr Administrator
25th Aug 2012
JonK Moderator
25th Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
26th Aug 2012
JonK Moderator
26th Aug 2012
JerryLoSardo Silver Member
26th Aug 2012
davidd1833 Silver Member
26th Aug 2012
mklass Platinum Member
26th Aug 2012
robsb Platinum Member
26th Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
27th Aug 2012
davidd1833 Silver Member
27th Aug 2012
robsb Platinum Member
27th Aug 2012
pshnikchch Silver Member
28th Aug 2012
Focuspuller Gold Member
29th Sep 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
01st Oct 2012
TiggerGTO Silver Member
02nd Oct 2012

macfish Registered since 05th Nov 2004Thu 16-Aug-12 04:18 PM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

Columbus, US

I doubt any one can give a definitive answer. I will say that I talked to a Nik representative at a large local photo expo, and the gist of that conversation was that the relationship between them and Nikon was kaput.
During that same expo I sat in on a Lightroom Develop module class. The very next day I called and upgraded my unused Lightroom 1 serial number for LR4.1 for $80. While still learning the program (really like George Jardine's tutorials)I doubt that CNX2 will remain very long on my system. I had already invested in NIK LR versions to be used standalone with NX2, so didn't lose anything there. Having also moved to a largely Micro 4/3 system, and tried/bought other Raw processors, LR is increasingly my first pick. NX2 & PM were a great pair, particularly with CEP3 built-in. I may still use it to process older NEF's, but even if Nikon ever releases an NX3, I'll definitely pass.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 16-Aug-12 06:03 PM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 16-Aug-12 06:09 PM by robsb

San Jose, US

Danny those who know won't tell, but I can't help but believe that there will be a CNX3 perhaps next year. I still use my CNX2 for most of my processing, but I have always had a current version of Photoshop, now CS6 Extended for the things CNX2 can't do. CNX2 is still my choice for processing NEF's and I still like the idea that I can store my NEF and go back to it at any time in the future. The 64 bit version took care of all my performance issues. What is it that you would like CNX2 to do besides work with the newer NIK and other plug ins? So far CEP3 integrated in CNX2 has been all I have needed. I do not own any of the 3rd party plug ins that work with Photoshop except for Photomatrix Pro and SilverFast. What we know for sure is that CNX2 and VNX2 will always have updates for the latest Nikon bodies and lenses before any other post processor. For those who don't care about preserving the NEF as final product there is always the LR and CS6 route or other fine post processing SW if you feel CNX2 is too dated. I guess my PP requirements are just not as challenging as others, or perhaps I just know how to use CNX2 better.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 17-Aug-12 11:23 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 17-Aug-12 11:25 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

>Will there ever be an NX3 with various new and improved
>features?

My guess is no, or if some new features do come out, they'll be infrequent.

I jumped ship about 6 months ago, growing tired of waiting. CNX2 + PM are excellent together, but the advances in other options grew too attractive. (I am also a little weary of PM relying entirely on the embedded JPG for final output. With a tool like LR4, you are dealing with the entire image in its full quality for modifications, printing, exporting, external edits, book making, uploading to web sites/offsite storage, etc.). Nikon/Nik are doing nothing I can see to reassure their customer base that they continue to innovate and new features are coming. Camera Bits did keep us informed but took a very long time for V5 to come out. I'll be playing with V5 this weekend but that's mostly because I like to try new things out...

I've switched to LR4 + CSE 5 as my main tools. I still occasionally use CNX2 and PM but it is not often.

Peter

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Fri 17-Aug-12 01:56 PM
2252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

I didn't really expect anybody to know the answer, and I already knew that Nikon and Nik have pretty much gone their separate ways. It's too bad that Nik didn't end up owning CNX2 with Nikon owning the core. If you think of it as the core RAW processing being like Camera Raw and everything else being a Photoshop-like application, it would have been great if they could have at least split it that way. I think that Nik could have made great progress owning that portion. The control point technology is hard to beat and makes it so easy to do selective modifications.

I have tried Lightroom but have never really felt very comfortable using it. There's something about the workflow that I just can't get used to. Maybe now that I have moved to a Mac, I should give Aperture a try especially if I want software to take advantage of the Retina display.

Danny

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Sat 18-Aug-12 02:28 PM
853 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

>Will there ever be an NX3 with various new and improved
>features?

I doubt it. Who would do it? It seems that all the companies that have the capability to take on such a project already have their own product. That's why Nik was the ideal partner: Lots of experience in developing tools for image editing, but with no RAW convertor/editor of its own.

I think all we will ever see is updates to cover new cameras and (hopefully) bug fixes if necessary.

That said, my belief is that, as NX2 sales decline as more persons move to other options, Nikon will at some point pull the plug on NX2, either officially or by just not doing necessary camera/OS updates.

SantaFeBill

Del Registered since 04th Nov 2006Sun 19-Aug-12 03:39 AM
444 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No"
In response to Reply # 5

Claremont, US

Just a thought, CNX2 is an innovative and functional product at the core and offers a concept for the future if it keeps pace with "needs" of Nikon photographers, which many have expressed concern.

One thought is that Nikonians should form a consortium (users and application software businesses) and buy CNX2 from Nikon and take it to the its fullest potential.

I'd buy a share...
del

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 19-Aug-12 07:34 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No"
In response to Reply # 6

Kingston, CA

>I'd buy a share...
>del

CNX2's most useful feature is control points. I doubt that technology is available for purchase because Nik uses it extensively in its products. The second most interesting thing is non-destructuvely editing of NEFs. That's not unique among tools.

I don't think I'd buy a share. Neat thought though.

Peter

My gallery (a work in progress): http://peterstokes.net/Exhibit

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 20-Aug-12 07:21 PM
#8. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No"
In response to Reply # 7

Apex, US

Interesting idea, but I believe I would pass. I am a software engineer by career, and I think it would be very hard to turn CN2 into a profitable product on it's own. Maybe if Nik could make it part of its suite, but not by itself. Just having the source code is one thing, but you would need software engineers that understand the technology and can make meaningful functional enhancements to the product. Also, as Peter pointed out, the most valuable feature of CNX2 is the control point technology, and Nik most certainly will not be giving or selling that away since it is such an important part of their other products.

Danny

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 22-Aug-12 12:24 PM
#10. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No"
In response to Reply # 8

Kingston, CA

Did Rick Walker not have a post in this thread that is now gone? In it he provided a thoughtful and critical view of the Capture NX2 history and situation. The thread summary shows the following (last post was by walkerr) but no message from walkerr can be found in the thread. Weird.

Peter

20-Aug-12 10:20 PM
by walkerr 8 299

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 22-Aug-12 12:40 PM
14432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No"
In response to Reply # 10

Colorado Springs, US

I removed it. I have a little too much insight into the situation and felt I was crossing the boundary.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 22-Aug-12 10:27 PM
#13. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No"
In response to Reply # 12

Kingston, CA

>I removed it. I have a little too much insight into the
>situation and felt I was crossing the boundary.

No probs. Happy shooting! Peter

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Thu 23-Aug-12 12:18 AM
853 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No"
In response to Reply # 12

Santa Fe, US

>I removed it. I have a little too much insight into the
>situation and felt I was crossing the boundary.

Rick, I appreciate your sensitivity, but your insights would be a great help to those of us that have to decide whether to continue with putting resources of time and possibly money in staying with NX2, or into learning another program.

I have both Capture One 6 and DxO Pro. Each will take a good bit of time to learn, esp. Capture One, to the point that I could make a choice between the two for my future work with NEFs. (I find LR, as PS, somehow just doesn't 'think' like I do. Everything I try to do in LR doesn't work, or doesn't work as I expect it to. C1 for me is easy by comparison.)

So do I start the process, or hope for better news about NX2?

If you're not bound by an NDA, your thoughts would be most welcome.

SantaFeBill

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 23-Aug-12 02:53 AM
14432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No"
In response to Reply # 14

Colorado Springs, US

I would start the process. Personally, I find LR and Capture One very similar (and both would be at the top of my list), but that's up to you. Neither is likely to go away.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Thu 23-Aug-12 06:59 AM
9476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No"
In response to Reply # 15

Memphis, US

I love NX2 and the work flow but it does seem like its really falling far behind. We did get a 64 bit upgrade but thats about it.

Rick if you had a choice and I am one of those who does not like layers and Adobe CS/Elements raw editors would you go LR or Capture one with NX2 as a backup. I currently use ViewNX2 as my catalog viewer and NX2 as my RAW editor. remember I like simple I'm not very good with Adobe.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 23-Aug-12 12:53 PM
#17. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No"
In response to Reply # 16
Thu 23-Aug-12 01:20 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

I recommend Lightroom to all my friends starting in more serious photography. It has a very simple interface for adjusting images - one that exposes all the key sliders in one area and presents them top to bottom in the order it's generally best to use them. The tonal adjustment controls in LR4 are really good and quite powerful once you learn them. It has very powerful local editing features that work at the raw level, including white balance, most tonal adjustments, noise reduction, sharpening, etc. Copying settings from one file to others couldn't be easier or faster, and it has a host of features that are clever. It's certainly nice not having to open, save and close files - you just move from one to another in a very fluid-like manner. When you get used to the concept of working with a catalog, I suspect you'll like it. Printing controls are extremely powerful, output sharpening is automated, and the built-in map and book modules are handy.

Capture One is also a very good program, but it's fairly expensive in the higher end Pro version that competes more directly with Lightroom, and it lacks the built-in catalog. Phase One, the company that makes Capture One, does offer a complementary cataloging tool (Media Pro 1) that works pretty well, but it's an extra charge. Like Lightroom, edits are done quickly and easily and can quickly applied to other images. It has a local editing capability, although I think it's a bit more obtuse to use than LR's. I do like it's white balance feature that works on skin tones - that's pretty clever. The biggest strike against Capture One is that integration with Photoshop isn't as comprehensive as Lightroom (meaning it won't export as a smart object).

One of the problems with learning Photoshop is that many of books or videos out there jump too quickly into elaborate techniques and don't spend enough time on the simpler items. Photoshop can be just as easy to use as you perceive NX2 to be, but you need to focus on things like adjustment layers (quite a bit like edit steps in NX2) and the items you can place in adjustment layers before ever contemplating more advanced techniques, such as blend modes, LAB color, etc.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Thu 23-Aug-12 02:00 PM
#18. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2? - No"

Santa Fe, US

Rick, thanks for your advice. Seems it's time to start learning a new program.

SantaFeBill

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Wed 19-Sep-12 12:25 AM
#33. "RE: Google buys Nik"

Santa Fe, US

>I would start the process. Personally, I find LR and Capture
>One very similar (and both would be at the top of my list),
>but that's up to you. Neither is likely to go away.

I wonder if we now have an idea why Rick recommended starting the process of learning a new RAW converter ... .

SantaFeBill

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 19-Sep-12 02:27 AM
4462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Google buys Nik"
In response to Reply # 33

New York, US

I doubt it. Rick made the shift to Lightroom and started recommending it to others a few years ago. At that time the reasoning was LR's continuing progress and CNX2's stagnation. (He converted me two years ago with a 15-minute demo!)

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 23-Aug-12 11:13 PM
4462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I made the jump from PM + CNX2 to Lightroom (thanks, Rick!) and haven't looked back. Lightroom 4 overall is more powerful and allows for more precise image development than CNX2, batches and exports faster than CNX2, and of course has the catalog which works very well. And Adobe keeps tweaking and improving Lightroom.

I will admit that for shoots with large numbers of images (<100) I still do initial triage and key wording via Photo Mechanic (and occasional immediate output of JPGs for client deadline). PM is still the fastest app for that.

Jon Kandel

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Sat 25-Aug-12 05:02 PM
#20. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 19

Santa Fe, US

>I will admit that for shoots with large numbers of images
>(<100) I still do initial triage and key wording via Photo
>Mechanic (and occasional immediate output of JPGs for client
>deadline). PM is still the fastest app for that.

Jon, would you be kind enough to explain how that works? (Probably worth a new thread and not just a reply here.)

AFAIK, nothing you do in PM will carry over to the LR catalog. Or, to put it another way, my impression is that any key-wording, rating, etc. that you want to do, if you're using LR and want to access such info in LR, has to be done in LR itself.

That's one of the main reasons I've stayed away from LR, as I want my DAM to be separate from my editor, so if I change editors (which I'm about to do) I don't lose all the work I've done in organizing my images.

SantaFeBill

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 25-Aug-12 05:19 PM
#21. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 20

Colorado Springs, US

XMP sidecars, which can be compatible between LR, Bridge and PM, allow you to apply keywords, color labels and ratings in any of those programs and have them visible in the others. While I don't use PM often, I have mine configured this way, including an identical keywording structure. You can do the latter via the import/export keyword functions found in each program.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 25-Aug-12 06:19 PM
#22. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 20

New York, US

Let me walk you through a real shoot, an off-Broadway show. I typically capture 500-700 images. Sitting in the theatre, I upload the card to my desktop and in PM make a few quick passes. That usually gets the total down to 100-200. If the producer is desperate for two or three images immediately (say for an urgent PR release that night) I'll export the embedded JPGs and give them a disk or thumb drive. (Yes, these are un-tweaked, un-developed, un-everything sucky JPGs.)

The next day (or night, this ain't the day job) I'll make more careful passes in PM I sometimes assign a Color Class to each actor or actress or scene type so that I can then view at one time like images from the whole show. I also have used this trick on wildlife shoots so I can see all of one kind of animal at a time. Color Class does not transfer to LR.

I will rarely but occasionally assign ratings. I keyword in PM because, after five years I'm used to it, it's so easy and fast. That's not to say I couldn't do it in LR — I do, for shoots not washed through PM first.

Keywords and star ratings to transfer to LR.

Now I ingest into LR. At this point, there are images worthy of developing, at least global settings — Camera Profile, probably a WB tweak, and some Clarity. Now I begin to develop each shot, though I occasionally do a compare and eliminate a few more frames.

Final images are exported as both low and high res, burned to disk, and delivered to the producer and PR agency. I sometimes upload the lows to a web page on my site so they can talk amongst themselves (or with others) while the disks are enroute.

Could I do the initial triage, etc. in Lightroom. Sure. But Photo Mechanic is just so fast.

Note that you can only work in the proscribed order, PM to LR. Once an image is ingested into LR, further modification by PM will not be recognized unless you re-import it.

Jon Kandel

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 26-Aug-12 12:55 AM
#23. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 22
Sun 26-Aug-12 12:57 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Interesting flow. I have PM 5 and LR 4 but haven't looked into what PM settings are recommended so star ratings transfer to to LR.

So far I've tried to rate/delete etc. in LR only as I don't want to repeat any steps and also want to explore the reviewing features in LR (such as side by side comparison and swaps).

One nice thing about PM is that it lets you look at the contents of a folder. LR requires that everything be imported before you can do much. This makes PM a useful, general purpose tool to have.

Peter

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 26-Aug-12 12:59 AM
#24. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 23

New York, US

Exactly. I don't have to import 500 in order to toss 400 later.

Jon Kandel

JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberSun 26-Aug-12 09:58 AM
893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 19

Frederick, US

For me, I'm not that concerned about CNX2 bringing on new features. Since the 64-bit upgrade, it does everything I need it to do at satisfactory speed (although it can be a bit quirky at times), so more bells and whistles wouldn't be the deciding factor. But I am concerned whether or not CNX2 will continue to be supported. It's very disturbing, for example, that the last time the CNX2 webpage was updated was 2009. If Nikon has no further interest in supporting this software, then I feel that I would be forced to reluctantly move on to another application.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Sun 26-Aug-12 10:14 AM
424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 25

Sydney, AU

What I don't understand is, if Nikon is dropping NX2, why don't they announce it? They are not protecting future sales, as there won't be any. Just letting it slowly disappear without any announcement seems very poor service for their customers.

David

My Gallery

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 26-Aug-12 11:25 AM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 26

Tacoma, US

Who said they are dropping it? It continues to be a very useful and viable raw processor, image editor, that is upgraded it handle every new camera that Nikon releases. They continue to sell and support it. So why announce a discontinuance?

So, it doesn't have new bells and whistles added to it every 12-18 month, generating a fresh rash of sale to those that need to upgrade, but I think it works quite well. As people have pointed out, NIkon is a camera company, not a software company. They don't need to constantly generate cash from software sales to stay in business. But CNX does a good to great job to help get the most out of the images from Nikon cameras.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 26-Aug-12 07:47 PM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#28. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 27

San Jose, US

As I said earlier Nikon needs to provide RAW processing for its cameras. I agree with Mick, running around saying the sky is falling when there has been no announcement that CNX2 will be dropped is just a waste of energy. Even if they stopped supporting CNX2 I would imagine they would still provide VNX2 to convert the RAW images. I still like the simplicity of the program and don't need any more bells and whistles. Unlike my Adobe products which I have to repeatedly buy on a regular basis, I am glad that my single upgrade from CNX to CNX2 has continued to be updated at no cost to me. So as far as I am concerned Nikon will be my first choice for RAW conversion. It continues to provide what I need.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 27-Aug-12 12:29 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 28

Chicago, US

It is unfortunate about the falling out of Nik Software and Nikon. There will a fair amount of experience lost to the development process. Maybe Nik and Nikon will makeup and get back together.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Mon 27-Aug-12 02:33 AM
424 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 27

Sydney, AU

I agree, I'm intending to continue using it for the forseeable future, but there was some advice given above (#15) from someone who may know more than we do, that it was time to start the process of learning something else. This doesn't sound promising for future development.

I've had a half-hearted look at a few other programs, but I feel that CNX2 suits the way I work, and I will keep using it until something breaks.

David

My Gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 27-Aug-12 05:24 AM
#31. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 30

San Jose, US

I already have extensive knowledge of Photoshop and own the latest version,so no need to start learning something new, but I still prefer using CNX2 and will do so for as long as I can.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

pshnikchch Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2007Tue 28-Aug-12 08:47 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 30

Christchurch, NZ

>I agree, I'm intending to continue using it for the
>forseeable future, but there was some advice given above (#15)
>from someone who may know more than we do, that it was time to
>start the process of learning something else. This doesn't
>sound promising for future development.
>
>I've had a half-hearted look at a few other programs, but I
>feel that CNX2 suits the way I work, and I will keep using it
>until something breaks.

A good summary David.

My work flow is PM and CNX2 and works very well.

However a short while ago I decided it was time that I consider a potential alternative to Capture NX2. I settled on Capture One Pro which I found to be also excellent and having a very slight edge over CNX2 in white balance correction of fabric under studio lighting.

I had a project of photographing garments and decided to use Capture One. The output was excellent however Capture One lacks a retouch brush with the same function as in CNX2 (to remove stands). I also missed the embedded JPEG image showing the latest edits within Photo Mechanic.

The upshot was that I reverted back to using CNX2 for the project and was happy with the output. The particular function set of CNX2 suited my needs better.

Similarly, in my landscape work, CNX2 is able to load and edit very large TIFFs whereas Capture One can't.

And so I envisage continuing to use CNX2 as my main software and occasionally using Capture One Pro.

Peter

http://www.pastoralsystems.co.nz/photography/

Focuspuller Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Feb 2006Sat 29-Sep-12 11:04 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 26

Los Angeles, US

>What I don't understand is, if Nikon is dropping NX2, why
>don't they announce it?

If Nikon won't publicly acknowledge known AF problems with the D800 while at the same time fixing said problem, what makes you think Nikon would pre-announce the end of CNX2 support?

Just asking.

-Alan D.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 01-Oct-12 02:56 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 35
Mon 01-Oct-12 03:06 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

There is a focus problem with a limited number of batches for the D800 and those cameras presented for adjustment are being addressed by Nikon.

Nikon and Nik Software have not disclosed the ownership of Nikon Capture NX2. Nikon has paid for the development and upgrading, so Nikon should own the product under the concept of work for hire. As such Nikon is free to transfer the work to another software house. The above assumes there is no special contract or agreement to prevent this.

What could be problematic is the Nik Software Upoint technology.

There could be discussions about how to transfer of the source code to Nikon or other software house right now. It could even be possible that Google and Nikon will kiss and makeup sort of like Steve Jobs and Microsoft did.

We still need to see if there will be a exit of programmers from Nik's Nikon team due to the purchase by Gooogle. If that happens will that group startup a new firm and provide continued support for Capture NX2 or will they be stopped by a non-compete agreement. If there is an agreement, can they buyout of it.

Only time will tell what is going to happen. As can be seen there are so many unknowns and possible options to predict anything. But Nikon should have some program for processing their RAW images or lose a substantial group from the Nikon brand.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Tue 02-Oct-12 05:26 PM
#37. "RE: Will Nikon ever enhance Capture NX2?"
In response to Reply # 36

Apex, US

I agree that Nikon probably owns the current incarnation of CNX2, especially under the work for hire concept. However, I believe that U Point is too valuable for Nik to have signed an agreement with Nikon that would allow the transfer of this technology to a third party.

I really like CNX2 and the NEF based workflow that is enabled by combining it with Photo Mechanic. I wish Nikon would treat CNX2 like the valuable asset that it could be by keeping it current with new functions and enhancements and providing better software customer support.

As much as I like CNX2 and the NEF based workflow, I certainly hope that there aren't any Nik developers foolish enough to leave Nik and attempt a startup based solely on CNX2. As the application exists today, it is too much of a niche product and as I developer, I'd never risk my personal livelihood by attempting to compete with that product against Lightroom, Aperture and other more current solutions.

In my opinion, the best thing that could come out of Google's acquisition of Nik is a new application like CNX2 with the U Point technology and compatibility with their full suite of plug-ins. However, I'm afraid that if that does happen, it will not be NEF based like CNX2 is today. It will probably require conversion to DNG or TIF.

Danny

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9176 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.