Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9142
View in linear mode

Subject: "Strange thing happens with CNX2" Previous topic | Next topic
glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 08-Aug-12 12:46 PM
2973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Strange thing happens with CNX2"
Wed 08-Aug-12 12:47 PM by glxman

South Australia, AU

Hi Guys,
I'm still struggling with the old windose 32 bit system,

When I make edits, for example,
Either contrast or picture control edit,
The edit is visible for about 10-15 seconds then "appears" to revert to the original?

I checked in ViewNX2 and the edit "appears" to have been performed but I'm not sure?

Is this just a "quirk" of CNX2?
I've had CNX2 for some time now and quite confident about its more advanced edits, albeit, glitchy,

Have anybody else had this problem of the edits appearing to disapear from the screen?
Regards,
Gary

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Strange thing happens with CNX2
mklass Platinum Member
08th Aug 2012
glxman Silver Member
08th Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator
08th Aug 2012
glxman Silver Member
08th Aug 2012
robsb Platinum Member
09th Aug 2012
glxman Silver Member
09th Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator
09th Aug 2012
glxman Silver Member
10th Aug 2012
glxman Silver Member
10th Aug 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 08-Aug-12 01:41 PM
5908 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Strange thing happens with CNX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I've noticed this when apply sharpening, although it doesn't completely revert to the original, It seem like it over sharpens for a few seconds then settles down to the correct level. If I click the checkbox in the edit list for the sharpening step on and off, I can see a difference between the unsharpened image and the sharpened "settled down" version.

I haven't noticed this behavior is any other type of adjustment. CNX2 is accurately showing what I have done.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 08-Aug-12 11:39 PM
2973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Strange thing happens with CNX2"
In response to Reply # 1

South Australia, AU

Tks Mick,
Must be a glitch with my system?
I adjusted sharpening in Picture Control, and it was there for about 20 seconds, then reverted, when I then went to Quick Fix and did a minor adjustment with exposure, the sharpening came back, then disappeared again?
Regards,
Gary

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 08-Aug-12 02:27 PM
10629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Strange thing happens with CNX2"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nope - shows up immediately for me and doesn't revert.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 08-Aug-12 11:44 PM
#4. "RE: Strange thing happens with CNX2"
In response to Reply # 2

South Australia, AU

Tks Armando,
Good to hear feedback on how it should work,
Perhaps I'm just shooting perfect straight out of the camera and CNX2 is just adjusting back to perfect
Could be the laptop I guess?
Regards,
Gary

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 09-Aug-12 01:43 AM
12728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Strange thing happens with CNX2"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

Gary make sure you have not somehow unchecked the "Keep all Edit Steps Active " box under General preferences. Also clear your cache.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 09-Aug-12 05:59 AM
#6. "RE: Strange thing happens with CNX2"
In response to Reply # 5

South Australia, AU

>Gary make sure you have not somehow unchecked the "Keep
>all Edit Steps Active " box under General preferences.
>Also clear your cache.
Hi Bob,
Cleared the cache,
The "keep all Edit Steps Active" is still checked, that is, the tick is still there

Did a test just now, CNX2 is still reverting back but, I think, looks OK in view NX?
Regards,
Gary

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 09-Aug-12 01:57 PM
10629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Strange thing happens with CNX2"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Gary,

Are you making any New Steps beyond Camera Settings and Quick Changes? Even with all Edit Steps Active, sometimes if I go back to Camera Settings for example and mess with the Picture Controls, my additional edits like D-Lighting, Crop and Level all disappear. I then have to click back on those New Steps to get to where I was.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 10-Aug-12 01:18 AM
#8. "RE: Strange thing happens with CNX2"
In response to Reply # 7

South Australia, AU

>Gary,
>
>Are you making any New Steps beyond Camera Settings and Quick
>Changes? Even with all Edit Steps Active, sometimes if I go
>back to Camera Settings for example and mess with the Picture
>Controls, my additional edits like D-Lighting, Crop and Level
>all disappear. I then have to click back on those New Steps to
>get to where I was.

Thank You Armando,

I think that may be the problem, I took my eye off the ball in between capturing some Darters and Swans making large adjustments to out of the camera images, especially picture control,

I have now decided to settle with "standard" picture control, will do some tests today and see what happens when I change it,

Regards,
Gary

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 10-Aug-12 01:08 PM
#9. "RE: Strange thing happens with CNX2"
In response to Reply # 8

South Australia, AU

took a few images today,
CNX2 appears to be behaving itself once again,
Thank you all for your help,
Not totally sure I have solved the problem but I think Armando may have solved it,
Did the shoot today without having to change the picture control and did not have any problems,
I was still able to change every setting in picture control though, think it must just happen when the picture control is changed from one PC to another
Regards,
Gary

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9142 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.