Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9134
View in linear mode

Subject: "What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?" Previous topic | Next topic
JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberWed 08-Aug-12 12:32 AM
921 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?"

Frederick, US

I used to use Photo Mechanic several years ago, but switched to LR, and now I'm back to a CNX2-VNX2 workflow. Yesterday on a whim I downloaded a trial version of Photo Mechanic 5 and liked what I saw. However, I didn't see any obvious advantages over VNX2. I realize that the Camera Bits is going to release their Catalog application hopefully later this year, but I do believe that there's a way that you can get PM5 to select images based on keywords--and as far as I know, VNX2 does not have that capability at all. Can someone enlighten me as to what other advantages PM5 has over VNX2?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?
JonK Moderator
08th Aug 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Aug 2012
mklass Platinum Member
08th Aug 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
08th Aug 2012
PAStime Silver Member
08th Aug 2012
gpoole Platinum Member
08th Aug 2012
Lighter Silver Member
10th Aug 2012

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 08-Aug-12 12:38 AM
4848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I used to have a PM-CNX2 workflow but have shifted to LR. But I still frequently use PM for initial editing, sorting, key wording, and some JPG output. It is super fast and more powerful than anything else.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 08-Aug-12 05:08 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 08-Aug-12 05:12 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

In July, I asked a long-term friend for some instruction in using my brand new Nikon D7000 and speedlights. Long-term meaning 1974. He works at all the movie studios and on location. He can do that being a member of the restrictive Hollywood guild governing still photographers.

He provides the studios with all the behind-scenes and interview shots they release for publication. Control of these materials is tight, for obvious reasons.

My friend uses only Photo Mechanic. When he is forced to do some image modification, he uses Adobe CS, but he isn't paid for this effort so he leaves that chore to others.

I asked him about his software choices. He shoots the equivalent of a wedding every day. So, size and volume present a challenge. Thus, the biggest task is managing, archiving and renaming files. He gave me a demo of PM doing renaming of some 300 images and I was astounded at the speed. Most of his attention to PP, however, shows in the PP studio layout itself. Windows in a spare bedroom are all blacked out. The only ambient light is from clip on worklights with cardboard snoots and Gobos. He uses a MacPro tower. Backup drives are shuttled to another location in case of fire or other catastrophe.

The best part of the afternoon spent at his house was the speedlight demo he gave me in the covered patio. All his lightstands are on wheels, and he trusts his PW triggers. Of course when he is working, professional Directors of Photography have done all the lighting and staging for him. Rather than using gels for color balance, he uses the WB controls of the camera. He shoots all Canon gear, incidentally. What a job!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 08-Aug-12 05:21 PM
6054 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Here is what I would call some of the avdantages of PM over VNX:

• it is very fast
  • you have more options for ingesting images (copying from card to disk)
  • you have more options for metatagging, access to more tags
  • searching for files by text in any tag is very fast and comprehensive
  • dialogs are better and more comprehensive making it faster to specifiy options
  • file management is much better and more flexible
  • exporting has far more options
  • integration with multiple editors is possible, you can open an image directly into CNX, LR, PS, any other image editor or any of the plug-ins that operate as standalones, picking which one on the fly after briefly setting up your "open with" list
  • phenominal technical support and customer support, best I've seen from a software company

I'm sure as you use the trial, you'll find out most of these, and a few more, yourself.

Mick
    http://www.mickklassphoto.com
    or
    Visit my nikonians gallery

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 08-Aug-12 07:24 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Angeles, US

There you go Mick. Confusing us with the facts!

Seriously, it's nice to know these specifications. The folks at PM certainly have factored in all the real-world needs of the photographer.

Gary
Santa Monica

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 08-Aug-12 10:54 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?"
In response to Reply # 3

Kingston, CA

As I recall, you can't Save As JPG out of VNX2 if the NEF file has been modified by CNX2. With PM you can. +1 for PM in this comparison. Peter

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Wed 08-Aug-12 09:20 PM
3706 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

For me there are 2 big advantages of PM compared to VNX2.

• PM is much more flexible for importing images than VNX2. Files can be renamed based on meta data in the image. Folders can be created based on the meta data too. I typically use the capture date of the image as part of the folder and image name when importing. When doing some brick wall lens comparison I had PM name the file based on the lens and aperture used.

• Whenever I want a JPG for computer use or a small print (4x6 in), I just use PM to extract it from the embedded JPG in the NEF file. I don't have to go to an editor to resize and save the image. If I previously edited the file with CNX2, the embedded JPG reflects the results of the last saved edit. I believe VNX2 is limited to simple editing of the original image and will not create JPGs from images edited with CNX2. If I want to crop the image for presentation, I can do it in PM while extracting. Now with PM 5 I can even rotate the crop to correct lines to vertical or horizontal. I can watermark the image while extracting too, and the watermark can be based on the metadata as well.

As other have said PM is fast, and very convenient for rating images and flagging them for post processing.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Lighter Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2012Fri 10-Aug-12 02:45 AM
1066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What are the Advantages of PM over VNX2?"
In response to Reply # 0

Calcutta, IN

I have used both for some time and now I only use PM.
It is very easy to keyword the images and PM much faster and flexible. It is meant to be a Photo Manager and key-wording tool, and exactly that's what it is.
Whereas, ViewNX2 is a free software from Nikon which does kinda everything, but specializes in none.

http://500px.com/sriroyc
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sroyc/
My gear: D90, AF-S 300 f4, AF-S 18-55 VR, Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9134 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.