nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ornate_wrasse

Portland, US
386 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ornate_wrasse Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2006
Fri 27-Jul-12 12:04 AM | edited Fri 27-Jul-12 12:59 AM by ornate_wrasse

I have been using Capture NX for a long time but have a question on a situation that hasn't come up before.

Typically, my workflow edits the NEF file and, after all the changes (like white balance, saturation, exposure and sharpening) are made, I save the image as a JPG and use the saved JPG for posting to forums or emailing to friends or, in this case, sharing with a class I took. In other words, I almost never save the file as a version of an NEF file.

The instructor and class loved the JPG image that I brought to class on a thumb drive, heaping tons of praise on the image.

Now it's a week later and I want to have the image blown up to a large size (16x20 or 11x14). The printer I use (I don't print my own images) wants either a NEF or TIFF file and definitely not a low res JPG file. Since I only saved the post processed image as a low resolution JPG, I'm stuck having to again edit the NEF file and save it. I can't remember each and every change I made to the NEF file and I don't think the edit steps were saved in NX2 when I made the JPG.

I'm wondering how other folks save their NEF images when making changes in NX2 that they would usually just save as a JPG.

It seems that I should know how to do this, but in my workflow, this situation just hasn't come up before, so that's why I'm asking others how they do this.

I hope I've made myself clear.

In any event, thanks for your help.

Ellen
http://www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse/galleries

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Saving Different Raw Versions in NX2