Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9054
View in linear mode

Subject: "CNX 2.3.2 Dust off problem" Previous topic | Next topic
kevinls Registered since 05th Aug 2009Thu 26-Jul-12 07:59 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CNX 2.3.2 Dust off problem"

GB

Hi,
I have a problem with CNX 2.3.2 dust off files.

I have tried to use a dust off file to clean up my recent images.

Out came "Mastering the D700", instructions followed and the dust off file (NDF) created and transferred to the same directory as the NEF files to be cleaned.

I go to CNX and click Camera and Lens Corrections. The Image Dust Off box shows "None" because this is a first use of the feature. I click "Change" and select the directory containing the NDF file, then click OK.
Message box appears: "No Dust off ref photos are present in C:\Users..........etc"

At first I thought that I had the wrong directory, but no, it is correct. I have even tried moving a NEF and NDF to a different location. Still no luck.

Has anyone else had this fault? If so how did you correct it.

Thanks
Kevin Lewis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Fri 27-Jul-12 03:35 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CNX 2.3.2 Dust off problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

CNX won't use a dust off ref photo if it was created after the images you want to use it with. It has to be created before you start taking the photographs.

If you create a dust off ref photo then use your camera's sensor cleaning feature (assuming it has the feature), CNX will not use the ref photo. You'd have to take another ref photo, refrain from in-camera sensor cleaning once it has been taken, then start shooting the photos with which you want to use the ref photo.

If you have your camera set to clean the sensor automatically each time you turn on your camera, you will go crazy trying to get the dust off feature to work.

The dust off feature is tricky.

Regards,
Frank

kevinls Registered since 05th Aug 2009Fri 27-Jul-12 02:21 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CNX 2.3.2 Dust off problem"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thank You Frank,
Sounds like helpfulness and flexibility is not the CNX designers strong point.

What do you think of creating a batch adjustment by shooting a blank NEF file (blue sky say) the using CNX to record my corrections to it. Then applying those corrections to the shoot. I have 500 frames to fix and as far as I can tell they all have the same blemishes.

The hard part in the UK is the blue sky bit!

Again thank you for clearing up the confusion.

Best Regards
Kevin Lewis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Sat 28-Jul-12 10:42 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CNX 2.3.2 Dust off problem"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Kevin,

The same dust off shot would work regardless of how you held your camera, horizontal versus vertical orientation.

If you do it the way you suggest you would likely need two correction frames. One taken with your camera in horizontal orientation and one in vertical. Then two batch operations, one to apply your horizontal corrections to horizontal shots, the other for vertical shots. You also stand the chance of correcting something important that didn't need it and just happens to be where the sky was supposed to be

If you can commit to turning off the camera's auto sensor cleaning feature, it's easy to always have a dust off file that works with whatever images you choose. Here's an example of what I do....

Day 1-use camera sensor cleaner manually, create a dust off ref photo
Day 20-use camera sensor cleaner manually, create a dust off ref photo
Day 40-use camera sensor cleaner manually, create a dust off ref photo

Put all the NDF ref photos in one folder, give it a name like DustOffRefs. Point CNX's dust off feature to that folder.

If today is Day 50, CNX will find a valid NDF file for every image shot since day 1.

The trick is to always clean & create the file at the same time. If, on day 30 I cleaned the sensor but neglected to create the ref file, CNX would not find a matching NDF file for photos I took between day 30 and 40.

Regards,
Frank

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9054 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.