Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9035
View in linear mode

Subject: "HDD" Previous topic | Next topic
expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 21-Jul-12 10:33 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"HDD"

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Hi all, I would like to improve how quickly images are accessed and opened in Capture NX2 and Photo Mechanic.
What is the next stage without going too silly price wise from my present system where my images are catalogued/stored on standard external USB HDs?
Dont know much about SATA is that the way to go?

Win 7 64 bit

Thanks for any suggestions.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: HDD
FrankSRGB Silver Member
21st Jul 2012
expat Silver Member
21st Jul 2012
barrywesthead Silver Member
21st Jul 2012
robsb Platinum Member
21st Jul 2012
22nd Jul 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
21st Jul 2012
22nd Jul 2012

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Sat 21-Jul-12 01:30 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: HDD"
In response to Reply # 0

US

USB is the bottleneck with external. The external disk itself (likely SATA) should be faster than its USB connection. So getting a faster disk for your external drive won't make your USB accessing faster.

Internal should be faster than external, and solid state internal should give you the best performance but with silly pricing.

Check the specs for the hard disk controller inside your computer. It will ultimately determine how fast of a disk you can use internally.

I use a second internal hard disk to store files and sync it with an external USB drive for a backup. Thus all my accesses for editing purposes are from/to an internal disk.

For desktops you can get removable drive bay enclosures that allow you to hot swap an internal hard disk without disassembling your computer case, and it operates at internal disk speeds. Some laptops like my Lenovo ThinkPad also have such a device. They are very convenient.

Ones for desktops come in two parts. One part (the enclosure) is installed into an empty 5-1/4 inch drive bay and connects directly to your hard disk controller. The second part (the drawer) contains a hard disk and slides into it the first. You can usually buy the parts separately, so you can have several hard disks - any one of which you can slide into the enclosure and use just as if it were another internal drive.

Regards,
Frank

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 21-Jul-12 03:07 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: HDD"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 21-Jul-12 03:10 PM by expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Thank you Frank just noticed my HP laptop has an eSata connector is that any use?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sat 21-Jul-12 07:43 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: HDD"
In response to Reply # 2

Kleinburg, CA

>Thank you Frank just noticed my HP laptop has an eSata
>connector is that any use?

Absolutely! eSata (external sata) is almost as fast as your internal sata drive.

Get an esata external drive and your disk access speed should be about three times faster than a good USB2 drive.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 21-Jul-12 08:50 PM
12580 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: HDD"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

Aso if your laptop suppos USB3, you can purchase an external 3 TB seagate drive that will also run significantly faster than a USB2 drive. The drives are not expensive, less than $200.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sun 22-Jul-12 01:51 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: HDD"
In response to Reply # 5

Kleinburg, CA

>Aso if your laptop suppos USB3, you can purchase an external
>3 TB seagate drive that will also run significantly faster
>than a USB2 drive. The drives are not expensive, less than
>$200.

Agreed, USB3 drives I have used are 20-30% faster than eSata. Both are much quicker than USB2.

Barry

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 21-Jul-12 08:46 PM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: HDD"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Be very careful buying any multi-disk eSata external drive enclosures for your laptop.

Many multi-disk enclosures require "port multiplier" (PM) support on their eSata connections but laptops (and desktop motherboards) rarely support PM.

I use single disk external eSata enclosures (WD mybooks) on my laptop that has an eSata port. I don't recall any problems with those simple enclosures. They may NOT support more than one volume on the drive but most people don't try to put multiple partitions on single disk externals.

my Nikonians gallery.

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sun 22-Jul-12 01:48 AM
#6. "RE: HDD"
In response to Reply # 4

Kleinburg, CA

>Be very careful buying any multi-disk eSata external drive
>enclosures for your laptop.
>
I agree, single drives are best.

Barry

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9035 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.