Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #902
View in linear mode

Subject: "How do I..................." Previous topic | Next topic
phydock Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Sun 03-Jan-10 12:55 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How do I..................."

elizabeth, US

Happy Holidays to all. I have Viewnx and i have Capture2. How do I convert a NEF that I have adjusted into a JPG? As soon as I tweek
the NEF, Viewnx will not allow me to convert it into a JPG. I have
a D700 which allows me to tweek in-camera, but I'm working on pics
that i took with my D70 or D300. Any help appreciated.....phil

phydock

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How do I...................
briantilley Moderator
03rd Jan 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
03rd Jan 2010
phydock Silver Member
04th Jan 2010
PAStime Silver Member
05th Jan 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
06th Jan 2010
PAStime Silver Member
06th Jan 2010
TiggerGTO Silver Member
06th Jan 2010
PAStime Silver Member
07th Jan 2010

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 03-Jan-10 01:14 PM
29044 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How do I..................."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 03-Jan-10 05:18 PM by esantos

Paignton, GB

I have found that, once a NEF file has been edited in Nikon Capture NX 2, it can no longer be converted by View NX. I don't know why that is.

You should be able to save the image as a JPEG in Capture, after editing it.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Sun 03-Jan-10 05:34 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How do I..................."
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 03-Jan-10 05:36 PM by TiggerGTO

Apex, US

You can either use "save as" for individual files, or you select multiple files and use the batch processing feature to convert a bunch of files at once.

Edited to add that the above statement is for NX2. I believe that Brian is correct and once you have modified a NEF with NX2 you can no longer convert it using View NX.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

phydock Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Mon 04-Jan-10 11:16 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How do I..................."
In response to Reply # 2

elizabeth, US

thanks for the replies. i looked all over nx2 for "convert".....never
thought of "save as". my niconian dues paid for themselves with this
help. thanks again...........phil

phydock

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 05-Jan-10 07:12 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How do I..................."
In response to Reply # 2

Kingston, CA

>or you select multiple files and use the batch processing

Hi and Happy New Year Tangential question: I don't see how this is possible. It seems batch processing is only available for all files in a specified folder and not for a collection of selected files via the browser. See what I mean?

Cheers,
Peter

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Wed 06-Jan-10 01:28 AM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How do I..................."
In response to Reply # 4

Apex, US

If you select multiple files in the browser, you can do a batch conversion by doing "File->Save as". That will start a batch process to convert the selected files. Similarly, you can paste an adjustment by copying the desired adjustment and right mousing on one of the selected files and selecting paste. You can also apply a saved setting by right mousing and picking "Load adjustment...".

Is this what you are looking for?

Danny

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 06-Jan-10 01:00 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How do I..................."
In response to Reply # 5

Kingston, CA

Hi Danny. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have used File->Save As and also pasting of adjustments. I am looking for a quick and easy "batch" way of running multiple steps on a set of NEF images selected in the NX2 browser. The steps would be something like: resize, convert to sRGB, sharpen for web posting, save as JPG. (I am currently looking into switching to working in Adobe RGB or the ProPhoto space). Cheers, Peter

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Wed 06-Jan-10 10:15 PM
#7. "RE: How do I..................."
In response to Reply # 6

Apex, US

My attempt at doing that would be to open an image and do the edit adjustements you are talking about. Then you could select all the steps and copy them or save them as a settings file. Then in the browser select the various images you want to apply those settings to. If you used copy on the selected edit steps, then just do a paste. If you saved the steps as a settings file, then load the settings file.

Danny

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 07-Jan-10 02:07 AM
#8. "RE: How do I..................."
In response to Reply # 7

Kingston, CA

Danny - great idea! I will give that a try. Thanks, Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #902 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.