Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9019
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX2 Color Management Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 18-Jul-12 05:47 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX2 Color Management Problem"

Phoenix, US

I'm sure I have a good grasp of color management in my workflow but now that I have a new Dell U2711 monitor I'm seeing things I didn't see before. Some of them wonderful and some of them problems. My issue is this, in ViewNX2 only, the configuration changes I make in the preferences have no effect on the way the images are displayed, and it's not pretty. CaptureNX2 is working just as expected as are any of the other image apps I have tried including Firefox. The images have a strange tone curve applied to them that makes the contrast stronger and there is posterization in the colors with poor gradations displayed.

Monitor set to Adobe RGB
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit display properties set to use the U2711.icm profile.
Image shot in RAW using Nikon Adobe RGB.
Screen grab of image in both VNX2 and CNX2 shows a marked difference (even on an unedited file)
No matter what profile I use in VNX2 the images look identical.
Even if I override the profile in the file I can't make any change in the way the images are displayed.
I've tried uninstalling it and no difference.

I like using VNX2 but unless I can resolve this issue I can't use the program. I like the ability to work with NEF files and perform simple batch edits and conversions. The color histogram is a feature I rely on. Is there another image browsing program that has these features?

Here are the screen shots...

VNX2: Note the extreme contrast in the hair, the yellow color in the hair by her cheek and the posterization in the skin tones on her arm.

CNX2

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ViewNX2 Color Management Problem
jrp Administrator
18th Jul 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
19th Jul 2012
robsb Platinum Member
19th Jul 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
19th Jul 2012
robsb Platinum Member
19th Jul 2012
Reply message Another Example
DeanAZ Moderator
19th Jul 2012
kennoll Gold Member
19th Jul 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
19th Jul 2012
ericbowles Moderator
24th Jul 2012
robsb Platinum Member
19th Jul 2012

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 18-Jul-12 07:43 AM
34522 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ViewNX2 Color Management Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

What I notice is the added contrast (head hair) in your ViewNX2 screen shot over that on the Capture NX2 one.
What are the settings on your video card? Use the card settings? or Use the programs settings?
I have noticed differences between the two modes on the video card.
But I must confess I have never ever used RGB color mode when viewing and/or editing. I always convert to sRGB.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 19-Jul-12 03:14 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ViewNX2 Color Management Problem"
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

Yes, there is more contrast in the VNX2 one but the point is that it should be the same. And no matter what I do to the color management settings in VNX2 there is absolutely no change in the output.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 19-Jul-12 02:06 AM
12736 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: ViewNX2 Color Management Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Dean I am sure you know what you are doing, but to be clear you are setting the color management Space in both VNX2 and CNX2 to Adobe RGB. In Windows you have selected the Dell icm, but you have not color calibrated your monitor as if you did you would be using a different ICM. Also check that you have not set a different setting on your video card.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 19-Jul-12 03:22 AM
#4. "RE: ViewNX2 Color Management Problem"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Bob but yes I have both apps set to the same color profile. I have not calibrated my monitor as it is new and so much better than what I was using that even if it were off a bit I would still be an order of magnitude better off. The video card is set to the Dell profile but even if it were not both apps should show the same thing. They don't. It's not CNX2 as it along with GIMP, PaintShop Pro X4, Firefox and IE display the image as expected. Just VNX2 is off and it won't budge.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 19-Jul-12 07:11 AM
12736 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: ViewNX2 Color Management Problem"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

One more question in VNX2 have you made sure that the advanced tab under display has the same settings as the man tab?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 19-Jul-12 04:05 AM
#5. "Another Example"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Browser on the left and VNX2 on the right...

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Thu 19-Jul-12 05:37 PM
795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: ViewNX2 Color Management Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

First off, I am a neophyte when it comes to PP apps. I use, and am still learning the capabilities of, VNX2, CNX2, and LR4 (and myself ). So, with that in mind I have a question. Is it possible that the difference between the displays of VNX2 and CNX2 is the assumption that VNX2 would display a finished jpg version and CNX2 a raw version with no processing applied?

My thinking is that, as a freebie, unsophisticated version, VNX2 will display raw images processed and output as finished jpgs for doing initial reviewing and image management. CNX2, on the other hand, is a more capable app used on raw files for PP manual manipulation of the raw image. What you would see displayed is the raw state of the image before/during the PP.

So what you would see on a side-by-side view of the images is a auto finished jpg and a unprocessed raw image. Differences would be more evident with the newer, higher resolution monitor than the old one. (I recently swapped out an old ViewSonic for a Dell U2410 and new video card to drive it. Big difference.)

Anyway, that's my hypothesis and I'm sticking to it..

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 19-Jul-12 08:58 PM
#8. "RE: ViewNX2 Color Management Problem"
In response to Reply # 7

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Ken but it is not a different file but the exact same finished jpeg being displayed in both apps.

Even if it was a NEF, CNX2 would display the image as shot and VNX2 would display the embedded jpeg processed using the same settings in the camera. They would still look the same if VNX2 was working correctly.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 24-Jul-12 10:16 AM
8592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: ViewNX2 Color Management Problem"
In response to Reply # 8

Atlanta, US

Dean

I've noticed that the preference setting to automatically convert from Adobe RGB to sRGB when rendering a JPEG does not always work. I get a more reliable result when I select Adjust/Color Profile and manually choose sRGB in Capture before converting to JPEG.

I have not been able to clearly sort out why it converts poorly or a real pattern. I get good JPEG batch conversions using Photo Mechanic which has the same check box option to convert to sRGB for JPEG.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 19-Jul-12 09:16 PM
#9. "RE: ViewNX2 Color Management Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I just re-read your post and I think I know what is wrong IF you are comparing a browser image to an EDIT image. the browser is not color managed. See this link:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=133&topic_id=6740&prev_page=show_topic&gid=6740#6745

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9019 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.