Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8991
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW" Previous topic | Next topic
RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Sun 01-Jul-12 09:51 PM
414 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW"

Vallejo, US

On the D7000 forum there was discussion about a new firmware update for Distortion Control.

My question is does NX2 use the Distortion Control information from a camera like the D7000 when processing RAW pictures?

My other question is does anyone know what lens were added from update L1.002 to L1.006?

thanks
Bob

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW
gpoole Platinum Member
01st Jul 2012
RSchussel Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
gpoole Platinum Member
01st Jul 2012
RSchussel Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
mklass Platinum Member
01st Jul 2012
RSchussel Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
mklass Platinum Member
02nd Jul 2012
RSchussel Silver Member
03rd Jul 2012
mklass Platinum Member
04th Jul 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
03rd Jul 2012
walkerr Administrator
03rd Jul 2012

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sun 01-Jul-12 10:00 PM
3653 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

In Capture NX2 there is an Automatic Distortion setting in the Camera & Lens Corrections section. It can be set to Automatic or Off. my guess is that the initial setting follows the in camera setting. You can override that setting if you wish.

I don't know what lenses were added in 1.006, but the complete list is on the Web page where you downloaded the file. L1.006 totally replaces the previous version, it is not an update.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Sun 01-Jul-12 11:08 PM
414 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW"
In response to Reply # 1

Vallejo, US

I tried downloading the file to my D7000 but it doesnt work for me.

I have a removable device D7000j (memory card) that I tried to copy the update to. There is a folder already on it DCM. Do I move the update into that folder or do something different. When I put it into the camera it says update done but the L1.002 is still there.

Any suggestions

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sun 01-Jul-12 11:22 PM
3653 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW"
In response to Reply # 2

Farmington Hills, US

The file NKLD01006.BIN goes into the root directory of the card, not into any folder. If there is another .BIN file on the card the camera might get confused. The presence of the DCIM folder shouldn't make any difference.

When you select Firmware version > update in the camera Setup menu, it should ask you if it's OK to update L1.002 to L1.006. You have to select Yes and press OK

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Sun 01-Jul-12 11:30 PM
#4. "RE: Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW"
In response to Reply # 3

Vallejo, US

Dont mean to sound too dumb but are you saying that the copied file just sits by itself on the memory card and not inside any type of folder

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 01-Jul-12 11:32 PM
5907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

That's right. Not in a folder.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Sun 01-Jul-12 11:48 PM
#6. "RE: Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW"
In response to Reply # 5

Vallejo, US

Nick
Thank you. I am now up to date.

I still not sure my questionwas answered. If the correction info done in camera is
applied to a photo is used for RAW in any way by NX2

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 02-Jul-12 12:05 AM
5907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW"
In response to Reply # 6

Tacoma, US

Yes, it is.

If your camera has automatic distortion control, as the D7000 does, it is automatically applied in CNX. If you wish, you can turn it off under Auto Distortion in Camera and Lens Corrections of the Develop section of the Edit List.

If your camera does not have automatic distortion control ( which is cameras predating the D7000) this is where you would turn Auto Distortion control on manually.

You can also apply Distortion Control with user adjustable settings, by creating an Adjustment Edit Step using the Adjust|Correct|Distortion Control menu item. This only corrects pincushion and barrel distortion.

Mick
or

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Tue 03-Jul-12 06:59 PM
#8. "RE: Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW"
In response to Reply # 7

Vallejo, US

Nick
Does this mean you should keep Distortion Control On or turn it off in CNX2 when Distortion Control is turned ON in a D7000?

Bob

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 04-Jul-12 12:17 AM
#11. "RE: Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW"
In response to Reply # 8

Tacoma, US

If it is on in camera, when you bring the file into CNX, it will be turned on in CNX by default for that image. If you don't want the correction, turn it off in CNX.

Mick
or

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Tue 03-Jul-12 09:22 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 03-Jul-12 09:28 PM by DeanAZ

Phoenix, US

Bob,

I don't think that CNX2 knows about the updated lens info and most likely only uses the data that is programmed into the CNX2 software itself. It is correct that the camera determines whether or not the auto-distortion feature is turned on or off by default when the NEF is opened. I would think that the new data would only apply to jpegs processed in the camera.

I could be wrong about this as I do not have one of the newly supported lenses to test. If the NEF contains the distortion control data (not just whether it is on or off) than CNX2 would have the new updated lens information necessary to perform the correction in software as opposed to in camera. The raw data is raw data and not modified for distortion when the NEF is written to the card.

If your camera did not have the auto-distortion feature and you are using a new lens, the feature would not be available in CNX2 until there is an update to the software.

If the lens data is not written into the NEF then CNX2 will not be able to process the auto-distortion even if your camera is updated with the new lens data firmware. I guess this would be true whether or not you have the feature turned on in the camera or not.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 03-Jul-12 11:39 PM
14528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Does NX2 use camera Distortion Control info for RAW"
In response to Reply # 9

Colorado Springs, US

You're correct. NX2 has had this feature for a while, and it works even with older cameras like a D100. The camera database is not used by NX2 - just the tag saying "turn it on", as well as the EXIF data that identifies the lens. NX2 uses its own distortion correction info instead of the camera's.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8991 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.