Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8980
View in linear mode

Subject: "Worth owning Nikon Capture?" Previous topic | Next topic
Billsnature Registered since 22nd Apr 2012Sat 30-Jun-12 05:24 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Worth owning Nikon Capture?"

US

I am just switching back to Nikon from Canon. In my first Nikon life (D1H,D1X,D2H) I found Capture to be a wonderful tool and used it quite a bit. Once in Canon I migrated to Raw Shooter pro (now Lightroom) and then just Photoshop 5 for raw conversion.

I now own D800 and D800E. Is it worth buying Nikon Capture? I haven't had any moire issues so I don't need a removal tool at this point.

Is there any other benefit? Or just a waste of time and money compared to othe tools out there like DXO or Capture !?

Would appreaciate the thoughts of those using it.

Thanks
Bill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Worth owning Nikon Capture?
mklass Platinum Member
30th Jun 2012
robsb Platinum Member
30th Jun 2012
JonK Moderator
30th Jun 2012
kartane
01st Jul 2012
mklass Platinum Member
01st Jul 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
Asgard Administrator
01st Jul 2012
GiantTristan Silver Member
01st Jul 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 30-Jun-12 05:56 PM
5860 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Worth owning Nikon Capture?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I find Capture NX2 to be very useful. But it really depends on how proficient you feel in the software you are now using. This also is predicated on you shooting RAW (NEF) files rather than JPG.

CNX gives you images that exactly parallel what you captured with the camera, and also has the ability to manipulate all of the in-camera settings in post processing. I like that.

However, if you are proficient in other software, or are shooting JPGs, then CNX is probably redundant. You can probably achieve the same end result without it.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 30-Jun-12 07:53 PM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Worth owning Nikon Capture?"
In response to Reply # 1

San Jose, US

I am proficient in Photoshop and CNX2 and prefer to use CNX2 for RAW conversion instead of ACR. I like to work in the NEF format. As Mick says it depends how proficient you are in Photoshop or LR as to whether or not you want CNX2. Photoshop is much more powerful and if you do Panos and HDR or usually blend multiple images together Photoshop is the way to go. What CNX2 offers is a very simple interface that allows you to make changes to RAW files that does not require that you have to use layers or complicated masks to get professional results as the SW does that for you. Also if you use ADL CNX2 is the only SW that will properly process the file. Finally I like the fact that all my edits are stored in the NEF and that all my camera settings are recognized and applied to the image when opened. It saves me time in processing.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 30-Jun-12 08:51 PM
4455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Worth owning Nikon Capture?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

After five years using Photo Mechanic-CNX2 as my workflow, I got tired of waiting for CNX3 and Photo Mechanic's catalog function. Lightroom has become a sophisticated catalog and darkroom app. The camera profiles in LR are very, very close to what Nikon provides. LR is faster and more powerful, yet it has introduced additional controls that allow more precise image adjustment.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

kartane Registered since 23rd Apr 2012Sun 01-Jul-12 02:25 AM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Worth owning Nikon Capture?"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Nikon is slow to update their software. Also Nikon mistakenly gives us what they think we need rather than what we want. The 3rd party makers can afford to cater to user needs because of much higher sales.

IMO Nikon should include its best software free, at least with the pro cameras. They could then benefit from a larger feedback base.

I use Lightroom 4 now and rarely touch Photoshop any more. LR4 seems to guess what I want rather than the you-get-what-you-select-and-no-more attitude from Photoshop.

Colin

"We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anaïs Nin

Please visit My Nikonians gallery

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 01-Jul-12 06:24 PM
5860 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Worth owning Nikon Capture?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 01-Jul-12 08:13 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

"Also Nikon mistakenly gives us what they think we need rather than what we want."

CNX is pretty much what I want, realizing that it can't be everything for everybody. Photoshop does that, but also required plug-ins to do things in a more user friendly manner. LR is a somewhat the same.

CNX is updated as new camera models come out to maintain compatibility. Yes, they haven't done a major upgrade for quite a while, but it still works very well, so why change it just for the sake of change?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 01-Jul-12 04:26 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Worth owning Nikon Capture?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If I'm not mistaken, you can download & try CNX2 for a 30 day trial. I did, and dropped the dime on it after 3 or 4 days.

Never have considered using anything else for the heavy lifting I need done. GIMP just to polish off the jpeg.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 01-Jul-12 08:00 PM
50175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Worth owning Nikon Capture?"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

I like it simple, therefore I use CNX2.

All I need.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sun 01-Jul-12 08:35 PM
1812 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Worth owning Nikon Capture?"
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

Though I have NX2 and PS, I have been using DxO plus LR almost exclusively for many years, I use DxO for raw conversion and most adjustments and LR mainly for cataloging. This combination gives excellent results with substanial time savings.

Tristan

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8980 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.