Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #898
View in linear mode

Subject: "Advice on Auto Distortion in NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
beentherdunit Registered since 30th Dec 2009Sun 24-Jan-10 12:36 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Advice on Auto Distortion in NX2"
Sun 24-Jan-10 01:21 PM by beentherdunit

GB

Can anyone pinpoint which update introduced the AUTO DISTORTION control in the Camera and Lens Corrections section?

Does it work automatically based on the lens data in the image EXIF?

Can the "Automatic" setting be saved in such a way that it will always default to Automatic whatever image is opened (is that desirable)?

BTD

P.S. I have tried my 20mm AFD, my 105mm AFS VR and my 70-300mm AFS VR.
It doesn't automatically turn on in NX2.2.4 with any of these lenses.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 25-Jan-10 12:42 AM
12818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Advice on Auto Distortion in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Please turn on your profile BTD, it helps us understand how to respond. I thought I was going to be able to give you a simple answer to your question, but rather than answer off the top of my head I decided to look in the NX2 manual to see if there was something I might have forgotten. To my surprise there is nothing in the manual! So this means this feature was released after the release of ver 2.0. So I went to the Nikon site and did a search on auto distortion-nothing! So the following is my experience with this tool and my suppositions. Hopefully someone else will have more info on this or has found a Nikon source. So question 1: One of the dot releases, I believe 2.2.1, but I don't remember for sure. Question 2. for me it only shows up in my edit list if the lens is wider than 35 mm. For example my 35-70 won't trigger it, but my 17-35 will. Similar to the way my fish eye corrections only show if I used my 16mm fish eye to take the image or if I had a 10 mm DX fisheye. In this case Nikon's NX2 manual states that the defish feature only works with those two lenses. So yes it works automatically once you select it and when it detects an ultra wide lens. I do not believe it will auto correct a lens 35 mm and above, at least not from my experience, and it may not work with your 20 mm lens. I too am frustrated that it does not default to being selected automatically, and I have not found a menu setting to do so.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

robb Basic MemberMon 25-Jan-10 04:50 PM
1072 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Advice on Auto Distortion in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Central Valley, CA, US

check this out:

http://blog.nikonians.org/nikonian_jason_odell/2009/04/capture-nx-22-mini-review.html

Best Regards,
Rob

http://www.robbohningphotography.com
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. -- Psalm 19:1

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 27-Jan-10 02:13 AM
12818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Advice on Auto Distortion in NX2"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 27-Jan-10 08:26 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

Thanks for the post, I guess I should have done a search. I happened to process an image tonight where I used my 70-200 VR and contrary to what I remembered, it did automatically cause the Auto Distortion edit step to show in my edit list. I selected Automatic and it immediately corrected the image. I guess I need to go back and retest other lenses,but I know for sure the 35-70 f/2.8 D lens does not trigger it..

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #898 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.