Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8977
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focus Point Display Question in NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
James_F Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007Fri 29-Jun-12 07:46 PM
372 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus Point Display Question in NX2"

Prescott, US

Assume the following shooting scenario:
D300
AF-C - release only
AF-ON button only
cH - continuous shooting
Dynamic area 21 points
AF-ON button held while shutter is released.

I hope I can phrase my question clearly. A question RE NX2 Version 2.3.1 when I select 'show focus points' in the View menu and examine a sequence of shots (shot in RAW) from a burst. Shouldn't the focus square displayed on my computer screen in NX2 follow the object that was originally focused on even though it is moving around in the frame (in the area that it must remain in for focus tracking)? The focus squares from one picture to the next seemed to be jumping around almost at random. What is the software "telling me" regarding the focus squares displayed from one shot to the next in a burst sequence? If they are in fact jumping around seemingly at random does this mean that I really did NOT "track" or maintain focus on the object? Also, I see only one focus square in NX2 even though I am in Dynamic area focus mode when shooting.

Jim F. from Prescott, AZ

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 29-Jun-12 07:52 PM
14559 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus Point Display Question in NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Only the AF sensor that was actually used will be shown - not the group that potentially could have acquired focus. If you see the indicated sensor jumping around in NX2, that's what happened, and it's not uncommon. A subject that doesn't contrast well with the background or that has many areas with similar tonality or color increases the likelihood of it occurring. I've seen it many times. It's not bullet-proof on that or any other camera, including other brands. All that helps is patience, multiple attempts and some awareness of what can cause problems.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8977 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.