nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #8968
View in linear mode

Subject: "CNX2/VNX2 and the MAC" Previous topic | Next topic
Howker   Redmond, US  Registered since 21st Jul 2010 Tue 26-Jun-12 03:59 AM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CNX2/VNX2 and the MAC"

I am a long time Apple MAC user. I also use a WIN PC. There are many postings all over this and many other forums where MAC users have problems with Nikons software.
So in the interest of many Apple users I can tell you both pieces of Nikon software are only written for Windows platform. The fact they run at all is an accident. For example they are optimized for NEF & JPG file produced in Nikon cameras, and why not. Other camera jpg's file are unsupported.
Do not look on these programs as being Apple MAC 'friendly' they are not & I have had discussions with Nikon & NIK about this. They are at their core Upoint from NIK Software. They also do the OnOne stuff etc etc. IMO they too, whilst I use their Perfect Layers for example, have issues with the Apple envoirment. Their Perfect Layers makes the Aperture program do Layers just as in PSE
I am not being critical its just the way things are. BTW I run both these programs on Win PC & the MAC. There is a difference particularly in speed.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CNX2/VNX2 and the MAC JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Jun 2012
Reply message RE: CNX2/VNX2 and the MAC Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
26th Jun 2012
Reply message RE: CNX2/VNX2 and the MAC JerryLoSardo Gold Member
27th Jun 2012
Reply message RE: CNX2/VNX2 and the MAC ecossephoto
27th Jun 2012
Reply message RE: CNX2/VNX2 and the MAC Papa Smurf
28th Jun 2012

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   New York, US  Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004 Tue 26-Jun-12 02:09 PM
5431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CNX2/VNX2 and the MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

While it may be true that Nikon wrote their apps for Windows first (though I have never heard that before), I've been running CNX2 on a variety of Mac Pros, iMacs, and MacBook Pros without issue for five years. For most of that time Nik Color Efex Pro and Silver Efex Pro were on board.

The fact that I now use Lightroom as my primary darkroom has less to do with CNX2 performance than it has to do with the lack of CNX2 updates — Lightroom has passed CNX2 by in features.

All of the current Nik products — Color Efex Pro 2, Silver Efex Pro 2, HDR Efex Pro, and Viveza 2 work perfectly in both Lightroom and Photoshop on my one-year-old MacBook Pro with (only) 8 gigs of RAM.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot   East Frisia, DE  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004 Tue 26-Jun-12 07:54 PM
53570 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CNX2/VNX2 and the MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

No problem with the Nikon-Software

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

JerryLoSardo Gold Member  Frederick, US  Charter Member Wed 27-Jun-12 01:04 AM
963 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CNX2/VNX2 and the MAC"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 28-Jun-12 10:48 PM by JerryLoSardo

I'm not qualified to dispute what you say, but...I ran CNX2 for years on a Windows PC and I tolerated its clunky, slow, herky-jerky, stop-start performance.
Then I converted to Apple and loaded CNX2 onto an iMac. Since then, it's been a pleasure to use that software. Quick response, smooth performance. I've noticed a couple of quirky differences as to how CNX2 acts in an Apple environment, but they are only minor annoyances.
I'm not a computer guru, not by a long shot, but I know what I like and what works. And I thoroughly enjoy using CNX2 on the iMac and will never go back to a PC.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

ecossephoto   UK  Registered since 21st Jun 2012 Wed 27-Jun-12 07:28 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: CNX2/VNX2 and the MAC"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 28-Jun-12 06:09 AM by ecossephoto

I have to say that while I agree with you on the issue of jpegs from other camera manufacturers (why? jpegs should be standard) I have had zero complaints using View or NX on Macs to process Nikon files for 5 years.
PS:- My Fuji Finepix is supported, the Panasonic Lumix not. The problem is a likely to be with the Lumix as the software. Just saying......

Papa Smurf   Adair, US  Registered since 16th Dec 2010 Thu 28-Jun-12 02:46 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: CNX2/VNX2 and the MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with Nikon software and your Mac. Computers can be very frustrating at times. I went from a 4 year old windows HP laptop to an ancient Quicksilver 2002 Power PC running at 933 Mhz and it smokes the HP in everything even though the HP clocks out at 1.32 Mhz. I cannot believe how much faster and smoother the Mac is over the HP. To think how much aggravation I went through all those years fighting Windows machines and their umpteen crashes and freezes!

I am not a computer guru, but it sounds like something got corrupted on the install process. Maybe uninstall and re-install the software, again even if you have already done it once. That has solved some problems for me over the years. Once I asked a highly paid Computer tech that worked at my old employer how he knew what to do and he answered, "when in doubt, uninstall and re-install." Best of luck in sorting out the issues.

Papa Smurf says that life is uncertain, eat dessert first!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #8968 Previous topic | Next topic