nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #8943
View in linear mode

Subject: "CF NEFs @ 14 bit CNX files saves @ 12 bit, what VER o..." Previous topic | Next topic
Robman3   West of Santa Monica, US  Registered since 12th Apr 2010 Mon 18-Jun-12 09:14 PM
1842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CF NEFs @ 14 bit CNX files saves @ 12 bit, what VER of Transfer to use for D800?"
Mon 18-Jun-12 09:21 PM by Robman3

D800 files, which version of Transfer is supposed to work, I've been using the tool bar in CNX to apply the process.

I was gearing up for the drive down to El Segundo but now will save the trip.

Raw files from the D800 being set in camera to NEF 14 bit uncompressed even with a factory default reset, are showing up after transfer/backup as 12 bit and do not resolve past native fit to screen ratio, just under 100%.

So I loaded from CF as the drive, CNX large files open fine show at 14 bit, but the saved files on both HD's , as indicated are somehow being restated upon load in.

Could this be related to the version of Transfer? Also, Nikon's download server is down at the moment, should I load in the most recent NEF file codec for Windows?

Files from the D3S all seem fine.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CF NEFs @ 14 bit CNX files saves @ 12 bit, what V... robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
19th Jun 2012
Reply message RE: CF NEFs @ 14 bit CNX files saves @ 12 bit, what V... Robman3
19th Jun 2012
     Reply message RE: CF NEFs @ 14 bit CNX files saves @ 12 bit, what V... robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
20th Jun 2012
          Reply message RE: CF NEFs @ 14 bit CNX files saves @ 12 bit, what V... Robman3
22nd Jun 2012
Reply message RE: CF NEFs @ 14 bit CNX files saves @ 12 bit, what V... gkaiseril Gold Member
21st Jun 2012

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Tue 19-Jun-12 03:54 AM
13616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: CF NEFs @ 14 bit CNX files saves @ 12 bit, what VER of Transfer to use for D800?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't have a D800 but from what I know about Nikon Transfer 2 in view NX2, it just copies exactly what is on your CF card and does not change the bit depth. Use the latest version of VNX2 which is 2.3.1 and use the Transfer program within VNX2 not the old stand alone version. Check your camera setting to make sure you have not set the camera to save 12 bit images. Other than that you will need to wait until someone with a D800 posts an answer.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Robman3   West of Santa Monica, US  Registered since 12th Apr 2010 Tue 19-Jun-12 08:41 AM
1842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CF NEFs @ 14 bit CNX files saves @ 12 bit, what VER of Transfer to use for D800?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Bob,

THANKS!

I was going a bit nuts resetting the RAW to 14 bits and so on.

It turns out that the stand alone Transfer even linked via CNX2's latest version was somehow magically saving RAW files in general as 12 bit, when reading them or going to 100% in CNX2.

I waited all day for Nikon's site to reset for downloads, eventually realized the View program (new one) was in the D800 box.

The older files from this morning were still squashed, so I removed all of the folders from both drives and shot some new images.

Everything seems to be in order and it may well have been a 32 bit program, deciding where to draw a line on a file as large as the 70+ MP's used in NEF 14 Bit, which were fine in CF as drive mode.

Thank goodness I ran down all possibilities before dragging pilot error into Nikon's service department.

Thanks for the good input.

Rob

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Wed 20-Jun-12 11:14 PM
13616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: CF NEFs @ 14 bit CNX files saves @ 12 bit, what VER of Transfer to use for D800?"
In response to Reply # 2

Rob glad to be of help. Now that you installed ViewNX2 from the box make sure it is the latest version as often what you get in the box is not. Go to Nikons Web site and check for the latest one there as sometimes checking for updates does not seem to work.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Robman3   West of Santa Monica, US  Registered since 12th Apr 2010 Fri 22-Jun-12 04:34 AM
#5. "RE: CF NEFs @ 14 bit CNX files saves @ 12 bit, what VER of Transfer to use for D800?"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the reminder Bob,

Lost sight since the post, Nikon's site was inoperable when I put this up.

Many thanks!

Rob

gkaiseril Gold Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005 Thu 21-Jun-12 03:28 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: CF NEFs @ 14 bit CNX files saves @ 12 bit, what VER of Transfer to use for D800?"
In response to Reply # 0

I am in the camp of using a card reader and Windows Explorer or Mac Finder to move files.

I then add additional meta data in editor and rename as part of the save as routine.

I also keep an edited archive copy of images.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #8943 Previous topic | Next topic