Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8935
View in linear mode

Subject: "CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3" Previous topic | Next topic
drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Sun 17-Jun-12 10:25 AM
141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3"

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

I am having difficulty reinstalling Color Efex Pro 3 for CNX2. I have in the past three weeks written three times to their Tech Support organisation as follows:

“To: Color Efex Pro - This is my third attempt to get help via this link to Tech Support. I am hoping that third time will be lucky. The message I sent was as follows:

I recently had to re-install everything on my computer. It was done by a professional and is working perfectly. But when I came to download and reinstall the still available latest version of Color Efex Pro 3.0 for CNX2 from your website on my Windows 7 64-bit system (with 8Gb memory), it downloaded OK and then stopped, reporting that "Color Efex Pro could not find Nikon CNX2. Please install CNX2 first and then retry this installer."

But CNX2 is already successfully installed and in full regular use on my computer at C:/Program Files/Nikon/Capture NX2. Color Efex Pro 3 was previously working fine until I attempted this new download.

Can you please advise how I can solve this problem?”

I have had no reply. My questions are:

(1) Has anyone else had the same technical problem, or can anyone kindly suggest a solution? It may be a very simple issue?

(2) Can anyone suggest the reason for the silence from NIK, bearing in mind that the literature with the original CD, and the current website, say things like:

“Nik Software provides support for all registered users of its products free of charge. Priority technical support is provided via email.”
Users are told: “Nik Software European Technical Support supporteu@niksoftware.com

(3) What can I do next? Am I a victim of the NIK/NIKON co-operation problem?
I do not want to abandon Color Efex for CNX2 as it is an excellent resource. Can it be used in some way as a free-standing program, independent of CNX2?

Apologies for the length of this message.

James
Suffolk UK

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3
mklass Platinum Member
17th Jun 2012
drjh68 Silver Member
17th Jun 2012
mklass Platinum Member
17th Jun 2012
walkerr Administrator
17th Jun 2012
drjh68 Silver Member
17th Jun 2012
walkerr Administrator
17th Jun 2012
Asgard Administrator
17th Jun 2012
drjh68 Silver Member
19th Jun 2012
Asgard Administrator
19th Jun 2012
drjh68 Silver Member
19th Jun 2012
Asgard Administrator
19th Jun 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 17-Jun-12 03:54 PM
5572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Do you have version 3.004 of Color Efex Pro for CNX2? Not having the correct version will cause this error.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Sun 17-Jun-12 04:51 PM
141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3"
In response to Reply # 1

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

Hallo Mick,

Thanks for your assistance (again!). The version I have on CD, which came with the original purchase, is Color Efex Pro 3.0 for CNX2, version 3.002(1). The one which I downloaded and could not install is the latest still offered on the website as follows:

Color Efex Pro™ 3.0 for Capture NX 2
Digital photographic filters seamlessly integrated into the new
Capture NX 2.

Version 3.004 - Mac OS X (Complete Edition)
Version 3.004 - Windows (Complete Edition)
Release Notes
Version 3.004 for Windows includes:
64-bit compatibility

As it is the Complete Edition, it seemed to be the one they intended me to use.

James

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 17-Jun-12 04:58 PM
5572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

Yup, that's the right one.

Did you intstall CNX in the default directory?

Other than a complete uninstall/reinstall, including clearing entries in your registry, I can't suggest much else.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 17-Jun-12 05:39 PM
14166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Are you using version 2.32 of NX2 or at least 2.3?

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Sun 17-Jun-12 06:30 PM
#5. "RE: CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3"
In response to Reply # 4

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

Hallo Mick,

I can't remember where CNX2 asked me to install it, but I do remember accepting the one it suggested. It is in fact in C:/Program Files/Nikon/Capture NX2. Presumably that is the default directory. It works perfectly well from there. Should I reinstall?

Hallo Rick,

My CNX2 is version 2.3.0. I have delayed updating it to 2.3.2 as I was waiting for the small number of problems reported to settle down. Would it make any difference?

Thanks very much to both for your time.

James

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 17-Jun-12 06:34 PM
14166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3"
In response to Reply # 5

Colorado Springs, US

>
>Hallo Rick,
>
>My CNX2 is version 2.3.0. I have delayed updating it to 2.3.2
>as I was waiting for the small number of problems reported to
>settle down. Would it make any difference?
>

Shouldn't make a difference.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sun 17-Jun-12 10:05 PM
48450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

I would install first your original purchase version 3.002(1) and then install version 3.004.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Tue 19-Jun-12 02:38 PM
#8. "RE: CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 19-Jun-12 02:40 PM by drjh68

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

>I would install first your original purchase version 3.002(1)
>and then install version 3.004.
>
>
Hallo Gerold,

Thanks. I tried installing first from my original Color Efex disk 3.002. This immediately produced the message "Capture NX2 could not be found. Please install CNX2 first and then retry this installer."

This is the same message as I got when I first tried to re-install from the latest update on the CEF website, reference 3.004. Though in the case of v3.004 the update first encouragingly downloaded itself fully, then on being instructed to install it produced that message.

So it seems that no version of CEF Pro can find CNX2 on my computer, even though it is installed and fully in use from its location at
C/Program Files/Nikon/Capture NX2.

It looks as if the next step is to re-install CNX2? Could any other users confirm if CNX2's default location on their computer is the same as mine? Or should it be somewhere else where CEF expects it?

Incidentally, I still have had no reply to four emails in the last three weeks asking CEF for help.
Thanks.

James

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 19-Jun-12 05:27 PM
48450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3"
In response to Reply # 8

East Frisia, DE

Update to CNX 2.3.2 and then install CEF 3.004.

Eala Freya Fresena

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003Tue 19-Jun-12 09:02 PM
#10. "RE: CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3"
In response to Reply # 9

Woodbridge, Suffolk, GB

Hallo Gerold,

I did what you suggested i.e. updated to CNX 2.3.2, and then installed CEF Pro 3.00.4.

It installed at once and is now available fully integrated in CNX2.

After some searching I found that it had installed itself on C/Programs/Common Files/CNX2/CEFPro3 Complete, which seems sensible, I suppose.

Thanks very much for your help, and thanks also to the other Nikonians in the messages above who kindly helped in eliminating the variables and aiming for the solution to the problem.

On the question of the deafening silence from CEF, I can only assume that they consider my queries to be entirely the responsibility of Nikon. Whatver the truth may be, it is a pity that they did not reply at all.

However, all's well that ends well.

Best wishes,

James
Suffolk UK

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 19-Jun-12 10:52 PM
#11. "RE: CNX2 Not Found by Color Efex Pro 3"
In response to Reply # 10

East Frisia, DE

Good. Glad to hear

Eala Freya Fresena

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8935 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.