Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8926
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2 not loading jpg" Previous topic | Next topic
Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Fri 15-Jun-12 03:43 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2 not loading jpg"

Redmond, US

I am the only family member with Nikon gear. The rest have Lumix. The Lumix GF2 micro4/3 jpg files are unsupported in View NX2 when I try to open them.

Strange I can see the thumbnails in the filmstrip but get Unsupported File Type in main viewer .

Any idea's. I am MAC user, latest version of VNX2 & MAC OS. I have tried every which way with the color profile thinking it might be that, no use.

I get the feeling jpg standard is not as 'standard' as it should be.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX2 not loading jpg
Asgard Administrator
16th Jun 2012
Howker Silver Member
20th Jun 2012
ericbowles Moderator
20th Jun 2012
Chuckster902 Silver Member
22nd Jun 2012
ecossephoto
22nd Jun 2012
Howker Silver Member
26th Jun 2012
ecossephoto
26th Jun 2012

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 16-Jun-12 04:36 PM
51404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX2 not loading jpg"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

>I get the feeling jpg standard is not as 'standard' as it
>should be.

You are right. Happens to me also sometimes.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Wed 20-Jun-12 04:44 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2 not loading jpg"
In response to Reply # 1

Redmond, US

Thought I would update this post. I have pursued my problem with Nikon software support. From giving me the run around then brushing me off I decided to ask for a Supervisor.
"We are not interested when it is not a Nikon camera. We do not say it is compatible with 3rd party equipment."

I am disgusted. I have been a Nikon user since the old , no VERY old S2. Bought in 1956 so its in my veins. Stuck with them thru thick & thin. (anyone want an old FE2??) to be treated like that.
How fortunate the software division if it is that has nothing to do with the cameras or customer care.
Luckily I love My D7000 & P7100 SB900 etc etc
Tom

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 20-Jun-12 03:25 PM
8738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX2 not loading jpg"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Check your naming convention for the files. It could be simply the software is not recognizing the file type.

Try taking a known JPEG from some other camera and see if it will open. See if the problem is with the Lumix files vs. the software.

Try a Save As for one of your files using another program. See if some other software product can save the file into a fresh JPEG that can be used by View.

View should be able to handle plain vanilla JPEG files regardless of what camera generated the files.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Chuckster902 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Nov 2005Fri 22-Jun-12 03:42 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX2 not loading jpg"
In response to Reply # 0

Scotia, US

Are they using any software to process the file before they share it with you? It may be their software is altering the file slightly before they share it with you.

Chuck S.

"Life is Messy."

ecossephoto Registered since 21st Jun 2012Fri 22-Jun-12 08:15 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: View NX2 not loading jpg"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 22-Jun-12 08:16 AM by ecossephoto

GB

I have the exact same problem.

I don't have a clue why this would happen but my workaround is to open the files in Elements and save-as a jpeg.
They then open fine but it is a pain if there are a lot of photos.
Obviously all jpegs are not equal. It could be the camera file or it could ne Nikon software but I have tried all settings to no avail.
PS - Capture won't open the files either without the workaround.

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Tue 26-Jun-12 03:10 AM
#6. "RE: View NX2 not loading jpg"
In response to Reply # 5

Redmond, US

UPDATE
This problem does not exist if you are a Windows PC user. Its an Apple Mac issue. You probably know CNX2 & VNX2 are actually Nik Software programs based on their Upoint program tweaked to optimize for Nikon files ONLY.
For those who read & replied earlier the files are loaded directly from the SD card in the case of the Lumix & a CF card reader for the Canon files. The filmstrip thumbnails are visible but the main window says unsupported file.
For MAC users if you load the files into ANY other program including Preview, iPhoto, Aperture, PSE9 etc etc then simply save them to the same Card/Folder whatever CNX2 & VNX2 will then load them without any trouble!
Nikon don't care. OnOne Software aka Nik software are more understanding & helpful.
As I have said before thankfully the cameras are beyond these problems. I have always been a Nikon camera user.

ecossephoto Registered since 21st Jun 2012Tue 26-Jun-12 06:21 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: View NX2 not loading jpg"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Thanks for the update.
That may work better than my current workaround.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8926 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.