Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8915
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX2 - out of focus" Previous topic | Next topic
eargenta Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Feb 2012Wed 13-Jun-12 01:35 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX2 - out of focus"

US

I recently installed ViewNX2 ver. 2.3.1 32bit. Noticed that when viewing pictures, they first appear in focus and then a split second later they are slightly out of focus.

I pulled up the same pictures with my old version ViewNX ver 1.3.0 and they are crystal clear.

Have matched the option settings so they are the same.

Its not my eyes. Had the wife look and she agrees. And as we all know, wives are always right.

Contacted Nikon support (online) explaining the problem. Funny thing here. Have not gotten a reply yet from them (4 weeks now with follow up emails for status). But got a survey from them asking how I like the support I received. Sent back a length displeasing response.

I am on a Dell system (3.00GHz, 32-bit OS, and 4GB RAM).

Anyone else have this same or similar problem?

Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ViewNX2 - out of focus
jrp Administrator
13th Jun 2012
eargenta Silver Member
13th Jun 2012
robsb Platinum Member
14th Jun 2012
SheriB Silver Member
15th Jun 2012
Asgard Administrator
13th Jun 2012
eargenta Silver Member
15th Jun 2012
SheriB Silver Member
15th Jun 2012

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 13-Jun-12 03:21 PM
33917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ViewNX2 - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 13-Jun-12 03:56 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

If it is seldom recommended to argue with the cook, imagine with the wife.
I remember sitting in the kitchen with the lights off, discretely eating the last piece of a pie when I overhead a conversation outside in the veranda. (I like to call it that ).
One of her neighborhood lady friends was telling my grandmother: "You will have to excuse me Doňa Mariquita, I may be old fashioned but I told my daughter: You can't get respect? Try fear!"
My grandma answered with a mischievous laugh.

So, believe her.
I do as I don't want to place you in harm's way.

Things to check:

a) Video card.
There is a chance the system environment is placing too much strain on the video card and disabling some features of it.
Or the video card driver has become corrupted.
Try updating the driver first.

b) Cache and temp files.
Do you have an external drive (or internal but other than the programs one) for the cache?
If not, get one.

c) Defrag you disk and clean temp files.

d) Did your installation of ViewNX2 (2.3.1) first deleted the older ViewNX?
If you are not sure, first unistall ViewNX2 and reinstall after checking there is no ViewNX program in your machine.

I am sure others will come up with other ideas. Windows, mac, Linux?

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

eargenta Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Feb 2012Wed 13-Jun-12 06:11 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ViewNX2 - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the suggestions.

a). Got the latest video driver (05/22/12) - no difference

b). Yes, have an external drive but used for backups only. Not sure I want to use it for caching also. Maybe look for another cheap drive or maybe a jump drive would work (hmmmm).

c). Defrag done about a month ago.

d). When ViewNX2 installed, it did not uninstall the old ViewNX release. Concerned if remove all versions old and new, then reinstall ViewNX2, might still have the same problem. Now with the old ViewNX (v1.3), gone, I have nothing that will display photo's in focus.

Its almost seems like ViewNX2 displays the picture (in focus) and then tries self-correcting or a layer correction which causes the picture to appear out of focus slightly.

Running Windows 7 latest release.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 14-Jun-12 10:26 PM
12251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: ViewNX2 - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

Under General in Preferences to you have the box checked to keep active steps alive? or have you set anything to remove sharpening? Either of these would give what you are discribing. BTW I have never seen this.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Fri 15-Jun-12 10:36 AM
1461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: ViewNX2 - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Ok MY version of VIEWNX2 only has under -"options"- "general" ..Voice memo settings, notification audio settings and cache settings..I do not have the absolute newest version ( didn't see the point from what I read) but the one before that..

Sheri Becker

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 13-Jun-12 09:46 PM
48440 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ViewNX2 - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

I would remove the old version and then install the newest version ViewNX 2.3.2 .

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

eargenta Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Feb 2012Fri 15-Jun-12 04:37 PM
#7. "RE: ViewNX2 - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Ok, I removed all Nikon software products from the computer. Reinstalled everything from Nikon website getting the latest and greatest. Did not reinstall the old version of ViewNX (v1.3).

It appears the pictures are clearer. Still the initial display and then what looks like on overlay happens. Maybe my system is just slow (Oh, honey, need a new system.....See where that gets me).

Did a little test by displaying the same picture in Windows Explorer (preview), ViewNX2, and CaptureNX2, all at the same time. Arranged the screens so I could page between them quickly. They all appear to display the picture with the same clarity.

Wife thinks so also.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm new to Nikonian and it appears I made a good choice in joining this knowledgeable group.

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Fri 15-Jun-12 10:30 AM
1461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: ViewNX2 - out of focus"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have this problem too..always have .I have deleteted the old version from the start. I just always assumed it was something to do with my old comp..not enough power some where or the resolution.If I then view at 100% it seems clear( If it was SHOT clear )

Sheri Becker

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8915 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.