Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8890
View in linear mode

Subject: "view nx2 or elements 10" Previous topic | Next topic
hobnob Registered since 09th Mar 2012Tue 05-Jun-12 11:40 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"view nx2 or elements 10"

US

Recently bought the 3100 but haven't downloaded any pics. I'm not sure which to use when it comes to processing programs. At this point I don't need anything elaborate, just one that's easy to navigate with some post-processing. Which of the 2 mentioned would fit the bill?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: view nx2 or elements 10
SRFast Silver Member
06th Jun 2012
SheriB Silver Member
06th Jun 2012
Asgard Administrator
06th Jun 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
06th Jun 2012
hobnob
08th Jun 2012
ericbowles Moderator
11th Jun 2012
hobnob
14th Jun 2012
Howker Silver Member
15th Jun 2012
SRFast Silver Member
15th Jun 2012
glxman Silver Member
16th Jun 2012
ericbowles Moderator
16th Jun 2012

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Wed 06-Jun-12 12:32 AM
1387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: view nx2 or elements 10"
In response to Reply # 0

New York City, US

ViewNX2 will do everything you want to do and it's free. When you gain more experience and need/want to do things ViewNX2 can't do, you can look at other products.

Hope this helps...JL

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Wed 06-Jun-12 01:11 AM
1461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: view nx2 or elements 10"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I agree with the previous poster. I started with ViewNX a year and a half ago and ,yes there are some things I would like to get into soon ( HDR for one) but if I take the time to (try) and get it right in the camera, I can do most of what I need to do with VNX.It's a great way to learn how the in camera setting affect your shooting ( Picture Controls for example) and the resulting image.

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 06-Jun-12 12:44 PM
48458 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: view nx2 or elements 10"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

I would also go for ViewNX2

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 06-Jun-12 02:20 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: view nx2 or elements 10"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Cut your teeth with the free View NX2.

You can also use General Public License software or freeware like GIMP or InfraView to develop your skills.

Then you can use the 30 day free trial for many other products and test drive them. But you only get 1 30 day trial period.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

hobnob Registered since 09th Mar 2012Fri 08-Jun-12 01:00 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: view nx2 or elements 10"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for the responses. The same querry was posted on the Adobe forum. All the responses favored Elements, but that doesn't surprise me. Could someone compare the two for ease of use, file management, post processing, or let me know of a web site where I can get a comparison. Thanks

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 11-Jun-12 11:34 AM
8144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: view nx2 or elements 10"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

I have both programs and only use Elements for special situations. My advanced editor is Nikon Capture.

If you shoot RAW, View will use your actual camera settings for white balance and allow you to make changes after the fact. Elements interprets the WB setting and allows you to make changes as well, but uses different values.

View recognizes picture controls and allow you to make changes after the fact. Elements does not explicitly recognize picture controls.

Both programs have settings to recover highlights brighten shadows, change contrast, brightness and saturation. I find the settings in View for highlights and shadows are significantly more powerful without creating a fake look.

Elements supports a 8 bit and 16 bit color space. View uses a NEF that can be converted to 16 bit if you need that option but would normally remain in 8 bit color space.

Both programs allow adjustments to exposure.

Elements uses clarity and vibrance sliders to sharpen images. View has a sharpening slider that is a coarse version of unsharp mask and not as good.

Both tools support cropping and resizing.

Only Elements has a cloning tool. View cannot remove dust spots but it is easily addressed in Capture.

Elements supports layers and opacity changes to edits. The execution is pretty good if you need those toools. View offers nothing similar but Capture offers those capabilities with much more control and better execution.

Elements supports watermarks and View does not.

Elements supports a large number of creative effects and graphics with presets for convenience. View does not.

Workflow may be important. Both open NEF files. With View, you always have the original RAW file and can start over at any time. View edits are also visible in Capture NX2 and can be modified or changed if desired. The workflow in View involves a single file with all edit steps being reversible for NEF files (but not JPEG). And View closely integrates with Capture.

With Elements once you have made edits, you cannot pick the file up in View or Capture and start over with the original.

View provides a browser for any images on your computer. The browser includes the ability to rate images using both numbers and color codes. You can also filter your view based on those ratings. Elements has a separate organizer and similar capabilities, but you have to import images into the organizer which involves an extra step and some time.

View is free and nicely supports a future migration to Capture if you need more capability. Elements has a cost making it more expensive. Elements would transition to Lightroom or Photoshop CS.

I would consider View easier to use since it does not require importing or ingesting images and it maintains changes as well as the ability to go back to the original file. Elements is more robust and probably a better editor if you do a lot of graphics or special outputs.

I'd probably have to take a hard look at Lightroom rather than Elements if you go the Adobe route. In almost all respects, Lightroom is better for organizing and editing and provides more capability. If you make that choice later, there is really no use for Elements.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

hobnob Registered since 09th Mar 2012Thu 14-Jun-12 02:38 AM
#7. "RE: view nx2 or elements 10"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Eric Thanks for the detailed explanation. VNX2 would probably be the better choice at this point, based on comments from you and others here. I can always step up as experience dictates.

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Fri 15-Jun-12 03:24 AM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: view nx2 or elements 10"
In response to Reply # 7

Redmond, US

The question is VIEW NX 2 or PSE10. Capture NX2 would be a fairer comparison. I never edit other than delete non keepers in View NX2 whereas CNX2 is one of the simplest Post Proc pieces of software to learn. Its U point base means you that, you point & edit.

Personally I am a Mac Aperture user & gave PSE9 up for it when OnOne issued their Perfect Layers as a plug in for Aperture. Thats all I had used PSE9 for anyway, layers.

But I still can't resist CNX2 for 'quick' fixes & its total integration with NEF files.

BTW the latest Aperture version has the cleverest white balance adjustment you ever saw. Where else when you chose alter WB do you get Skin Tone automatically if there is a face in the picture? Awesome!

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Fri 15-Jun-12 01:32 PM
1387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: view nx2 or elements 10"
In response to Reply # 8

New York City, US

>The question is VIEW NX 2 or PSE10. Capture NX2 would be a
>fairer comparison.

This might be true, but I believe the OP is seeking guidance on where to start getting his feet wet in image post processing. The free VNX2 software will give him an idea of what changes can be made to an image. If and when he outgrows VNX2, he can start comparing more robust apps.

Regards....JL

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 16-Jun-12 12:28 AM
2804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: view nx2 or elements 10"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Hi Dave,
View NX2 is the way to go,
1. Free
2. Will introduce you to basic editing
3. Cropping
4. Will re-size an image for the net, quick and easy

IMHO, I would also shoot RAW, that way, in a later purchase of CNX2, you can "redo" your PP as skill increases, the other advantage to shooting raw is you can go way back and improve your edits

Other PP software does have different "tricks" but at least you have "cooked" your Nikon settings prior to file changes before you enter other programs
Regards,
Gary

My Nikonians Gallery

I have a photographic memory but never got it developed!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 16-Jun-12 11:35 AM
8144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: view nx2 or elements 10"
In response to Reply # 10

Atlanta, US

I agree with Gary - I would shoot RAW as well. It's very quick and easy to convert RAW images to JPEG's in View NX2.

View will also help to refine your workflow. I use View to rate images, discard the bad ones, and then select the best for editing. It handles all of those tasks quickly and easily.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8890 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.