Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #887
View in linear mode

Subject: ".jpg sharpening, NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
Karsh Moment Registered since 14th Nov 2009Sat 14-Nov-09 10:30 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
".jpg sharpening, NX2"

CA

I'm new here and new to NX2. On average,how much sharpening do you suggest for general photography for D300, large-fine .jpg files using NX2? (intensity,radius,threshold). No sharpening in-camera. I just need an average point as a reference to experiment from. Thank-you.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: .jpg sharpening, NX2
ruthiebabe
15th Nov 2009
neil_jo Silver Member
15th Nov 2009
ruthiebabe
15th Nov 2009
rbaskin Silver Member
15th Nov 2009
Aubrey Silver Member
16th Nov 2009
rbaskin Silver Member
16th Nov 2009
Aubrey Silver Member
16th Nov 2009
PAStime Silver Member
16th Nov 2009

ruthiebabe Registered since 01st Nov 2008Sun 15-Nov-09 06:36 AM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: .jpg sharpening, NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought all jpgs were sharpened in camera, have you the fcility to turn that off?

I can't answer your question as such but what I have found useful is The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2 by Jason P.Odell in which he gives suggested settings for each Nikon DSLR, however these are for raw files where the sharpening has been turned off.

His book is a downloadable e-book and not expensive, worth every penny in my opinion. There are also videos should you want them.

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/nx2guide.html

hth, Ruth

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

neil_jo Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Aug 2007Sun 15-Nov-09 11:40 AM
1433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: .jpg sharpening, NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Brampton, CA

From the e-book for a D300, intensity 50, radius 8, threshold 4.

Regards Neil

ruthiebabe Registered since 01st Nov 2008Sun 15-Nov-09 12:02 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: .jpg sharpening, NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

But surely that is for an unsharpened NEFF, Neil?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Sun 15-Nov-09 09:32 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: .jpg sharpening, NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Ridgefield, US

Per Jason O'Dell's eBook, if your picture control settings for your jpegs is set to 2, try 20/5/4 as a starting point.

Remember to sharpen at 100% so you can see when you get to a point that you like without getting too 'crunchy'.

Hope this helps.

Ralph in CT.

Aubrey Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Mon 16-Nov-09 09:06 AM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: .jpg sharpening, NX2"
In response to Reply # 4

Limassol, CY

I see 50/5/4 for NEF. Where did you see 20/5/4/ for jpg?
Thanks,
Aubrey.

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Mon 16-Nov-09 11:47 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: .jpg sharpening, NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

Ridgefield, US

Page 111 under Advanced Control: Sharpening.

Ralph

Aubrey Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Mon 16-Nov-09 12:01 PM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: .jpg sharpening, NX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Limassol, CY

Ralph,
Many thanks. I missed this one. I amusing values specified on p. 260. These assume that one has disabled picture control sharpening.

The one you presented assume that there is sharpening in the camera - which is likely to be the case if shooting JPGs.

I must simply try this one on my NEFs without disabling picture control sharpening.

I should also have another read through Rick's excellent book, it's over a year since I read it.

Aubrey.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 16-Nov-09 12:38 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: .jpg sharpening, NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

>I'm new here and new to NX2.

Welcome to the forum.

The amount of sharpening needed really depends on what you plan to do with the image in the end (archive, small print, large print, email, web page). For example, if you are publishing to the web, sharpening after reducing the image to screen size can be more pleasing. Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #887 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.