Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8862
View in linear mode

Subject: "manipulating histogram of jpegs?" Previous topic | Next topic
outsouth Registered since 28th May 2012Mon 28-May-12 04:15 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"manipulating histogram of jpegs?"

US

Hi, I'm new to Nikonians and a new owner of a D5100. I have a question: Can one alter the histogram of a jpeg image in ViewNX2? I can only seem to access the histogram of NEF files.

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?
gkaiseril Gold Member
28th May 2012
outsouth
28th May 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
29th May 2012
robsb Platinum Member
30th May 2012
outsouth
30th May 2012
PAStime Silver Member
31st May 2012
ericbowles Moderator
31st May 2012
robsb Platinum Member
01st Jun 2012
PAStime Silver Member
01st Jun 2012
outsouth
02nd Jun 2012
chuckji
04th Jun 2012
outsouth
14th Jun 2012
chuckji
25th Jun 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 28-May-12 09:47 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Jpegs are processed within the camera so there is very little adjustment available in post processing.

NEF or RAW images are just the data as recorded by the sensor and you can manipulate much like the camera settings can but you will have to have some specialized software like Nikon Capture NX2 or Adobe PhotoShop to have a broad range of tools.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

outsouth Registered since 28th May 2012Mon 28-May-12 10:08 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks George, are you familiar with the ViewNX2 Nikon software? My old Canon point and shoot software allowed me to alter the tone and level of jpegs so now I'm trying to learn to do the same with my new Nikon software. Is this possible?

Thanks

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 29-May-12 07:50 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Thanks George, are you familiar with the ViewNX2 Nikon
>software? My old Canon point and shoot software allowed me to
>alter the tone and level of jpegs so now I'm trying to learn
>to do the same with my new Nikon software. Is this possible?
>
>Thanks

NX2 shines best when working with raw image files. JPEGS are, by definition, the 'final' image and have exceedingly little editing ability.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 30-May-12 12:16 AM
12587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

You will need CNX2 to make changes to a JPEG or use Light room, or Photoshop or photoshop elements. In CNX2 you can make all the adjustments except you can't change things like camera settings as they are baked in the JPEG. You will get the most control by shooting RAW. So you can make exposure changes, adjust the histograom, protect highlights and shadows, set black and white points, sharpen, etc. VNX@ will allow you to do some of the things CNX2 can do if you shoot RAW.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

outsouth Registered since 28th May 2012Wed 30-May-12 08:00 PM
#5. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Robsb, George,

Thank you for your informative comments. I will now quit searching fruitlessly for that ability to alter the jpeg in VNX2. I thought it was there and maybe I was just not finding it!

I've been avoiding the RAW and need to start using it today. I often end up wanting to change my white balance anyway and need a RAW image to do so, as you said. Thanks for giving me that push to do what I needed to do!

It's one of the great features of a D5100 afterall, having RAW capability, right?

Thanks!

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 31-May-12 12:17 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 31-May-12 12:21 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Hello,

In ViewNX2 you can adjust brightness, shadows, highlight protection, etc. of a .JPG image and thus modify the tones of the image. These changes will be visible as changes to the image's histogram. These controls are in the Adjustment pane.

I believe there aren't any curves adjustments available when editing JPG files, only when NEF files. This is done via the Picture Control utility.

>JPEGS are, by definition, the 'final' image
>and have exceedingly little editing ability.

I think this is misleading. There is exceedingly a lot you can do with JPGs! And even more with NEFs.

Peter

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 31-May-12 09:45 AM
8514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

Peter is correct - you can edit JPEG images in View NX2. Some of the edits are limited to NEF's - like white balance and Picture Control changes - but most work just fine.

If you are viewing and editing a full sized image, you can view the histogram while clicking on the icon.
As Peter indicated, there is no Levels and Curves adjustment to the histogram.
Note that edits to a JPEG are not reversible, so be sure you have saved your original image file. Also when editing JPEG files, try to only save them one time as saving a series of edits and steps can cause image degradation.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 01-Jun-12 02:04 AM
12587 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

My Appologies. I don't use View NX2 for edits and the other day when I answered the question, I opened a JPEG in VN2 and tried to see what edits were available. To my surprise, I was not able to change anything and now I know it must have been a glitch as I just opened another JPEG in VNX2 and was able to use most of the edit tools except for WB and Picture controls. So I retract my previous comments. I still stand on the statement that it is better to shoot RAW if it fits your work flow.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 01-Jun-12 08:31 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 8

Kingston, CA

>To my surprise, I was
>not able to change anything and now I know it must have been a
>glitch as I just opened another JPEG

That Adjustments pane is actually lost among all of the other panes and buttons in ViewNX2. As you say CNX2 is certainly a better option for any kind of editing, JPG or NEF.

Peter

outsouth Registered since 28th May 2012Sat 02-Jun-12 12:47 AM
#10. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thanks everyone. It is interesting because I can manipulate levels and tone curve on jpegs in my canon software, but the VNX2 won't do it unless it's RAW.

Sometimes it takes me years to find things on software just by using them so thanks for the discussion everyone.

chuckji Registered since 25th Jan 2011Mon 04-Jun-12 01:26 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 10

South Lyon, US

Couldn't you just use your Canon software with your Nikon shot jpg file then? Since jpg is not proprietary, you should be able to open any jpg with the Canon software.

outsouth Registered since 28th May 2012Thu 14-Jun-12 10:33 PM
#12. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Chuckj,

I did try that right away (maybe because I'm lazy and was already comfortable with my Canon software) but it didn't work.

It's ok, this is all pushing me toward using NEF and photoshop Elements 10 which has all been a good learning experience.

chuckji Registered since 25th Jan 2011Mon 25-Jun-12 04:36 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: manipulating histogram of jpegs?"
In response to Reply # 12

South Lyon, US

Interesting. Sometimes this stuff is quite frustrating...
I think you will open up a whole new world by going NEF - I mean that in a GOOD way.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8862 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.