Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8843
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX2 lagging" Previous topic | Next topic
purple5ive Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 21-May-12 11:05 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX2 lagging"

AU

Guys,
the software that came with the camera (i think capture NX2) when i open files in it, the computer takes a long time to apply any post processing i do, ie- apply some exposure comp. and the computer/software takes a while to show the changes, this is quiet frustrating as i have to do this several times to get the desired look
is this a common problem or is there somethign i havent done properly in the settings etc.

same files open up real fast in CS4

cheers

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX2 lagging
ericbowles Moderator
22nd May 2012
kennoll Gold Member
22nd May 2012
Asgard Administrator
22nd May 2012
Reply message Slow saving D800 files
drbrog Gold Member
25th Jun 2012
Reply message RE: Slow saving D800 files
kennoll Gold Member
25th Jun 2012
drbrog Gold Member
25th Jun 2012
Howker Silver Member
26th Jun 2012
SheriB Silver Member
25th Jun 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
25th Jun 2012
expat Silver Member
26th Jun 2012

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 22-May-12 01:50 PM
8609 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX2 lagging"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I'm running a Windows 7 64 bit system with 8 GB of RAM. I have the latest version of Capture NX2 installed - version 2.3.2.

It takes a few seconds to launch the application, but loading an image only takes 2 seconds. Even D800 images open in about 4-5 seconds.

Be sure you have the latest version installed. The software that comes with the camera needs to be installed and then updated to the current version.
Also be sure to only open one image at a time - Capture is an editor. It has a batch processing capability that can be used if needed. View NX2 is the browser and is what I use to view and rate images. Within View NX2 is Nikon Transfer - a good tool for downloading images.
Both View and Capture can be used as RAW file converters. Once you have made any changes to an image in Capture, you can no longer edit the image in View.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Tue 22-May-12 06:54 PM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX2 lagging"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Steve,

Like Eric, I have good response times when using CNX2.

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit as well with 16GB RAM. Ver 2.3.1 of CNX2. CNX2 load time is approx 15 seconds while individual images take 3-4 seconds.

You haven't provided any details about your computer and what's running so just some thoughts: One thing that may be slowing you down is if there are any other processes (foreground/background) running on your PC when you're using CNX2. Perhaps contention for RAM and/or CPU cycles?

Ken
Seattle, WA

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 22-May-12 08:37 PM
50948 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX2 lagging"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Hi Steve,

to help you, we need more info about your equipment. Otherwise it´s speculation.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

drbrog Gold Member Charter MemberMon 25-Jun-12 12:18 PM
870 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "Slow saving D800 files"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I have a similar question regarding NX2. I have a 6 year old Mac Pro ( 2x2 core 2.66 Xeon processors, 8 GB RAM) running NX2 v 2.3.1. I have noticed that processing adjustments and saving files is very slow (save is about 10 sec). Recently I purchased a Mac Book Air with a 2 core i7 processor, SSD and 8GB RAM. The processing times are perhaps a bit faster but saving files is still slow. I realize these are large files but I would have expected enhanced performance. I was wondering if NX2- given that it is old software and probably would be NX4 if it were given proper attention- might not take advantage of all new technology or cores in multicore processors in modern computers to explain this.

Jay Newmark
A Chicago Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Mon 25-Jun-12 04:42 PM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Slow saving D800 files"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, US

Jay,

First question is are you saving to an external drive? If so, is it the same drive used on the old Mac Pro?

Second question is the transfer rate, is the transfer rate on the old Mac Pro hard-drive and the new SSD the same?

I'm thinking there's a bottleneck in the image transfer from RAM to the drive(s).

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

drbrog Gold Member Charter MemberMon 25-Jun-12 07:06 PM
870 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Slow saving D800 files"
In response to Reply # 7

Chicago, US

In both cases, I'm saving to the boot drive. The speed seems about the same on both machines, ssd and standard drive.

Jay Newmark
A Chicago Nikonian

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Tue 26-Jun-12 02:28 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Slow saving D800 files"
In response to Reply # 8

Redmond, US

There are serious issues with CNX2 & VNX2 on the MAC. In fact they do not work on any files from other than Nikon cameras with any reliability. I do not mean RAW(NEF) i mean jpg.
I have talked to Nikon support on many occasions about their MAC support, they don't care!

Take any file load it into Preview, Aperture or iPhoto & ALL issues disappear.
Tom

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Mon 25-Jun-12 02:18 PM
1675 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NX2 lagging"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I doubt Capture NX CAME with the camera, that is one you have to buy..VIEW NX is the free Nikon software..and I have some lag time but I have an ancient computer. With to many files on it.

Sheri Becker

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 25-Jun-12 04:19 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: NX2 lagging"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 25-Jun-12 04:21 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

There could be a 30 day trial.

Most software shipped with products tends to be out of data and needs to be updated after installation.

One also needs to check the requirements for the software and compare it to your system. Also you may need to update your system's software.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Tue 26-Jun-12 06:47 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NX2 lagging"
In response to Reply # 5

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

I first got Capture NX free with my D200 and I think it may have been offered with NX2/new cameras since then?
May not have been free on USA side perhaps only from Nikon UK where mine came from originally.
Also got a grip free when I bought a D700.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8843 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.