Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Astro NR in CNX versus Long Exposure NR in-camera

103 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
FrankSRGB Registered since 09th Aug 2009
Sat 12-May-12 09:07 AM

While researching the topic I ran across this old thread in the D700 forum. For reference sake it explains rather nicely what Long Exposure Noise Reduction (LENR) does....

Time marches on and now we have Astro NR in Capture NX2.

When using LENR in-camera, the RAW pixels are modified. This is one of the few (if not the only) in-camera settings that cannot be changed in CNX. For example, using High ISO NR in-camera you will find the NR applied automatically in CNX's Develop section under Camera Settings/Color Noise Reduction, and can change whatever High ISO NR was applied in-camera later if desired. However, when using LENR in-camera you will find that it does NOT cause CNX's Astro NR checkbox to become automatically checked. IOW There is no connection whatsoever between LENR in-camera and Astro NR in CNX, unlike High ISO NR.

The best description I can find from Nikon for Astro NR is.... "This option reduces the randomly spaced bright pixels that occur in images of stars captured with long exposures".

If one is to presume that Nikon's reference to "randomly spaced bright pixels" is another way of saying it does the same thing as LENR, then how can Astro NR possibly do that without the 2nd (dark) exposure from which it finds the amp noise or hot pixels to subtract from the original exposure? I don't believe in free lunches, so it's hard to conclude that Astro NR could eliminate the need to use LENR in-camera. It would be nice indeed, as it would cut exposure times in half as well as battery drain.

Does anybody know exactly what the difference is between LENR in-camera and Astro NR in CNX?