nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #8792
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon View NX- over sharpening when changing anything, ..." Previous topic | Next topic
Iguanas   Llangollen, UK  Registered since 23rd Apr 2012 Mon 23-Apr-12 10:10 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon View NX- over sharpening when changing anything, even cropping"

Hello,

I have just switched from sony to Nikon and I'm still finding my way through the camera, software and this network.

I am shooting in RAW and using View NX2 to open the photos for converting to Jpeg and if needed using PS CS2 for fine tuning.

I was delighted to see that NX2 come with few tools for changing exposure, d-lighting, etc, much more advanced that my sony software.

This weekend I shot a train show and when I opened the photos and tried to crop them, adjust them or convert them to jpeg, I noticed the software is over sharpening my photos compared to the original ones and I cannot revert them. I have checked my settings to see if there was automatic sharpening, but nothing.

Does any one have an idea of what is happening? It only seems to be a problem with this set of photos. I was experimenting with active d-lighting (high), I wonder if that is the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AreBee   Inverness, UK  Registered since 27th Apr 2008 Mon 23-Apr-12 10:58 PM
531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon View NX- over sharpening when changing anything, even cropping"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello Clemencia,

Welcome to Nikonians.

I haven't used ViewNX for a very long time. However, I do use Capture NX2 as my image editor of choice, so hopefully I can help you out. Please note that sharpening via Picture Control is not the best method available to sharpen your RAW images. Capture NX2 offers a couple of additional methods, one of which (USM) offers far greater control. However, the following will allow you to check the settings that the camera shot with - these settings can also be changed before capture via the camera menu.

1. Open one of your RAW images in Capture NX2
2. In the 'Develop' section on the right hand side, open the 'Camera Settings' dropdown
3. About one third of the way down the opened panel you will see the 'Picture Control' section. At present the drop down menu below this should read 'Unchanged', which is to say that the RAW file currently adopts the as-shot, in-camera Picture Control settings...which includes sharpness
4. If you open the 'Advanced' dropdown just below this, you will see five slider controls to adjust the picture control parameters. At present these will be disabled from editing
5. In order to edit the parameters, first change the 'Unchanged' drop down menu to another Picture Control type. This will automatically enable the 'Advanced' parameters and you can adjust to taste

Hope this helps.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

Iguanas   Llangollen, UK  Registered since 23rd Apr 2012 Mon 23-Apr-12 11:21 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon View NX- over sharpening when changing anything, even cropping"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Rob,

I will try. I haven't downloaded Capture NX yet, as I am hoping to change my computer and I am afraid that I won't be able to transfer it to the new one (if it ever comes). But I'll give it a go.

Strangely enough, I was not even using picture control, the software seems to be sharpening the pictures just as I touch crop or exposure, e.g.

BTW, great shots, all of them, I especially liked the village and the ram in St. Kilda, and the standing stones in the Isle of Lewis, Bonnie Scotland.

Clemencia

AreBee   Inverness, UK  Registered since 27th Apr 2008 Tue 24-Apr-12 01:33 PM
531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon View NX- over sharpening when changing anything, even cropping"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 24-Apr-12 01:34 PM by AreBee

Clemencia,

>...I was not even using picture control...<

Your D700 uses one of several Picture Controls to apply settings to each photo (check out your camera manual for additional information). Given that you shoot RAW, these settings are applied to the file when it is opened by View NX or Capture NX2 (because both are proprietory software from Nikon) but may be edited in post processing. If you shoot jpg, the in-camera Picture Control settings are applied permanently to the jpg and cannot be undone at a later date.

>...the software seems to be sharpening the pictures just as I touch crop or exposure, e.g<

I can't think why this would be. I presume it is not simply a case of the software rendering an image as it is being opened?

>BTW...<

Thank you for the compliment.

Rob
www.robbuckle.co.uk

Iguanas   Llangollen, UK  Registered since 23rd Apr 2012 Tue 24-Apr-12 08:18 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon View NX- over sharpening when changing anything, even cropping"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks Rob,

Not sure, I will download tonight capture and see what happens.
I appreciate the guidance.
Regs,
Clemencia

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Software (Public) topic #8792 Previous topic | Next topic