Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #873
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nik Software Rip-Off?" Previous topic | Next topic
gwpics Registered since 19th Apr 2004Mon 02-Nov-09 10:54 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nik Software Rip-Off?"

Southampton, GB

I have been looking at noise reduction software, and basically there are two products on the market, namely Noise Ninja and Dfine from Nik Software. I opted for Dfine because it is slightly easier to use, and I use other Nik Software products BUT HERE IS THE CATCH. If I could buy the download in the USA it would cost me $79.00 which is just below £50.00. Because I live in Europe I have to buy from Germany, and it is €119 which is around £107.00. We are talking about exactly the same product which is downloaded from the same place - I am not talking about hard copy, but a computer download. I have contacted the company by telephone, but they can offer no explanation at all to me, and I they refused to take a message for the sales manager to call me back. I think this is a blatant rip-off - I don't know about you!

Gerry

Gerry Walden LRPS
+44 23 8046 3076
www.gwpics.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?
Valentino Gold Member
02nd Nov 2009
martinc
04th Nov 2009
nwcs Silver Member
02nd Nov 2009
PAStime Silver Member
03rd Nov 2009
output555 Silver Member
04th Nov 2009
nwcs Silver Member
04th Nov 2009
gwpics
04th Nov 2009
Bronte Silver Member
05th Nov 2009
Aubrey Silver Member
16th Nov 2009
nwcs Silver Member
16th Nov 2009
gwpics
16th Nov 2009
Baaker Silver Member
17th Nov 2009
Aubrey Silver Member
16th Nov 2009

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Mon 02-Nov-09 12:47 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nik has some great software but IMO inflated pricing across the board. If their pricing was more competitive then I think they wold have much greater market share.

As for noise reduction I think both Nik and Noise Ninja are toys compared to Topaz DeNoise3 and even the built in lower version of DeNoise in Topaz Adjust is as good as other dedicated noise software. I have D300 ISO 1600 images that I ran through Denoise3 that look like they were shot at ISO 100. You not only do not lose detail but you can recover detail with their deblur function that acts like a CSI deconvolution routine. check out this post in the wildlife forum where I show an example in post #2
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=161&topic_id=94490&mesg_id=94490&page=

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

martinc Registered since 15th Dec 2005Wed 04-Nov-09 11:55 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 1

Stockport, GB

I would also recommend that anyone interested in noise reduction software should trial Topaz DeNoise 3. You have to try it yourself to appreciate how remarkable it is.

Martin

Photography Books

Nikonians gallery

"Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty."
David Hume, Scottish philosopher, 'Of the Standard of Taste' (1757).

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 02-Nov-09 02:29 PM
6823 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Not a rip off. It's the selling price and prices differ by currency and demand. And probably a nice VAT added onto it. Same reason why imported goods cost more than they do in their country of origin.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 03-Nov-09 11:21 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

Hi Gerry. I can see how that is frustrating. I encounter it too. Living in Canada and seeing lower prices on many goods across the border in the USA, just south of us, makes me think we are getting ripped off. But this is most often due to the usual differences in prices due to currency exchange rates, duties, and taxes. Quite often I add something to a web shopping cart and proceed to checkout to get a view of the true final price. Once I enter my address, additional charges often appear. Peter

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Wed 04-Nov-09 11:22 AM
326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 04-Nov-09 11:23 AM by output555

US

Without getting into the debate about pricing, there are many other software choices than the two you mentioned. As a starter, Photoshop has it's own set of effective noise reduction fliters. If you're unhappy with the cost of Dfine, shop around. Competition is the keystone of Capitalism.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 04-Nov-09 11:58 AM
6823 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

Photoshop's Reduce Noise filter is not very good. The cheapest effective filter is probably NeatImage.

gwpics Registered since 19th Apr 2004Wed 04-Nov-09 12:04 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 6

Southampton, GB

I am fully aware of all the other options, and the best is to process using NX2, but I get incensed by this sort of blatant rip-off!

Gerry

Gerry Walden LRPS
+44 23 8046 3076
www.gwpics.com

Bronte Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Aug 2006Thu 05-Nov-09 07:04 AM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 7

Pickering, GB

I felt the same, but managed to get a discounted copy via my membership of NAPP. Now you can also get a discount via your Nikonians membership. For what it's worth, I find Define extremely effective when I want to carry out selective noise reduction on a single image. I have the full suite of Nik products, and it makes sense to use them all together if I am in CS4.

However, when I am working on larger batches of images, I prefer to use Noiseware Pro - which I don't think anyone else has mentioned yet. In its stand-alone version it handles whole folders of images like a breeze, and more effeciently than Define.

Noiseware is available in all its versions from Imagenomic, is cheaper than Define, and also attracts a discount for Nikonians members.

Bronte
A Nikonian in North Yorkshire

visit my website at www.pcphotographic.co.uk

Aubrey Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Mon 16-Nov-09 12:55 AM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 7

Limassol, CY

Do I understand that NX2 is good for noise reduction? I was wondering about purchasing standalone noise ninja...

Would you please expand your comment.
Thanks,
Aubrey.

Aubrey

Now D300

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 16-Nov-09 12:01 PM
#11. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 10

Knoxville, US

This is the absolute best review of Topaz Denoise I have read.

http://ronmart.blogspot.com/2009/07/review-topaz-labs-denoise-30.html

And the author has the best overall noise reduction comparison I've seen complete with examples of the software developers of the products trying to achieve the best results:

http://ronmart.blogspot.com/2009/03/noise-reduction-roundup-1-of-5.html
http://ronmart.blogspot.com/2009/03/nik-software-dfine-20-noise-reduction.html
http://ronmart.blogspot.com/2009/04/imagenomic-noiseware-411-professional.html
http://ronmart.blogspot.com/2009/04/picturecode-noise-ninja-22-noise.html
http://ronmart.blogspot.com/2009/04/noise-reduction-roundup-5-of-5-and.html

gwpics Registered since 19th Apr 2004Mon 16-Nov-09 12:32 PM
#12. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 10

Southampton, GB

>Do I understand that NX2 is good for noise reduction? I was
>wondering about purchasing standalone noise ninja...
>
>Would you please expand your comment.
>Thanks,
>Aubrey.
>

What you have to remember is that Nikon cameras like the D300 etc. have built-in noise reduction and this is done by putting a 'tag' on the Nef file which is then picked up by the software and the software noise reduction is then applied. No ther software to the best of my knowledge can pick u this tag.

Gerry

Gerry Walden LRPS
+44 23 8046 3076
www.gwpics.com

Baaker Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2009Tue 17-Nov-09 08:47 AM
923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 12

Dumbarton, GB

Do you find this useful? Most shooters want to reduce noise by judging it themselves? It is a matter of taste how much noise is in an image and is best done visually?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43019448@N04/

Aubrey Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Mon 16-Nov-09 12:49 AM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nik Software Rip-Off?"
In response to Reply # 0

Limassol, CY

I bought UltraEdit a few years ago.
They wanted to charge me VAT on the transaction because my credit card billing address was in UK.
I explained I was not living in EU and gave them my overseas address.
They then processed it without VAT.

Perhaps you need to give them a non-EU address. May I help!

Aubrey.

Aubrey

Now D300

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #873 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.