Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8693
View in linear mode

Subject: "develop RAW, save back to SD card for in-camera gallery" Previous topic | Next topic
alcom Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Mar 2010Tue 17-Apr-12 01:56 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"develop RAW, save back to SD card for in-camera gallery"

Toronto, CA

I shoot RAW, then develop my images with Capture NX2. I'd like to save developed images back to an SD card to share with family and friends when travelling. Sometimes this is an older person who doesn't have a computer or we're meeting in a restaurant.

I tried saving processed JPGs back to a freshly formatted SD card, using Nikon's naming protocol -- DSCN####.jpg. But my P7000 responds with the message: NO IMAGES on card.

I'm hoping there's a simple setting in an image information field that will allow the camera to recognize backloaded JPGs. I'd like to be able to do this with both my P7000 and my D300.

Does anyone know the trick to this?

I'd like to be able to use a spare SD card as a portable gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: develop RAW, save back to SD card for in-camera gal...
davidd1833 Silver Member
17th Apr 2012
Skyco Silver Member
17th Apr 2012
Skyco Silver Member
18th Apr 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
18th Apr 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
18th Apr 2012

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Tue 17-Apr-12 06:11 AM
433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: develop RAW, save back to SD card for in-camera gallery"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

You cannot view images in camera that have been edited. As far as I know there is no way round this.

David

My Gallery

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012Tue 17-Apr-12 09:22 PM
130 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: develop RAW, save back to SD card for in-camera gallery"
In response to Reply # 0

Roanoke Island, US

>I shoot RAW, then develop my images with Capture NX2. I'd
>like to save developed images back to an SD card to share with
>family and friends when travelling. Sometimes this is an older
>person who doesn't have a computer or we're meeting in a
>restaurant.
>
>I tried saving processed JPGs back to a freshly formatted SD
>card, using Nikon's naming protocol -- DSCN####.jpg. But my
>P7000 responds with the message: NO IMAGES on card.
>
>I'm hoping there's a simple setting in an image information
>field that will allow the camera to recognize backloaded JPGs.
>I'd like to be able to do this with both my P7000 and my
>D300.
>
>Does anyone know the trick to this?
>
>I'd like to be able to use a spare SD card as a portable

>gallery.
>

I've been shooting Nikon DSLR's since 2002 and have never been able to - or have I heard of a way to get photos back into the camera for viewing. You can put the photos on a SD card and use a card reader like a USB drive. Some DVD, Blue Ray players and set top boxes have USB ports for playing / showing media files.

I keep cables handy that can connect to the video ports of a TV set and my camera when I'm traveling. I also use an iPad to show my photos in places where a computer or TV is not available. I think most other digital tablets will work as well.

I hope this helps.

Ken

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012Wed 18-Apr-12 04:41 AM
130 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: develop RAW, save back to SD card for in-camera gallery"
In response to Reply # 0

Roanoke Island, US

>I shoot RAW, then develop my images with Capture NX2. I'd
>like to save developed images back to an SD card to share with
>family and friends when travelling. Sometimes this is an older
>person who doesn't have a computer or we're meeting in a
>restaurant.
>
>I tried saving processed JPGs back to a freshly formatted SD
>card, using Nikon's naming protocol -- DSCN####.jpg. But my
>P7000 responds with the message: NO IMAGES on card.
>
>I'm hoping there's a simple setting in an image information
>field that will allow the camera to recognize backloaded JPGs.
>I'd like to be able to do this with both my P7000 and my
>D300.
>
>Does anyone know the trick to this?
>
>I'd like to be able to use a spare SD card as a portable
>gallery.
>
After thinking about it - forget about the technology. Just print up a bunch of your best photos - keep that file growing and take it with you.

Well Wishes,
Ken

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Wed 18-Apr-12 03:00 PM
1592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: develop RAW, save back to SD card for in-camera gallery"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Get one of those electronic photo frames.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Nikon FM2n, Nikon P7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 20/AF-D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28/2.8 AF-D, Sigma 28/2.8 Mini-Wide II, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 18-Apr-12 10:03 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: develop RAW, save back to SD card for in-camera gallery"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Not possible. All image editors that save the image update certain EXIF data tags and when the camera does not see the expected tags it will not display the preview Jpeg.

There are digital photo frames, eReaders and various tablets can can display images.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8693 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.