nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8692
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2 TIF Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
b2martin_a Registered since 10th Jan 2007Tue 17-Apr-12 01:08 AM
475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2 TIF Problem"

US

Does View NX2 have a problem opening large TIF files? I tried to open a TIF file that was a 360 megabit file (125 megapixels) and it crashed View NX2. The file was a panorama generated from 18 NEF files with Photomerge in CS5. It will open it if I save it as a compressed JPG file.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: View NX2 TIF Problem
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
17th Apr 2012
davidd1833 Silver Member
17th Apr 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
17th Apr 2012
b2martin_a
17th Apr 2012
jtmcg Gold Member
17th Apr 2012
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
17th Apr 2012
b2martin_a
18th Apr 2012
19th Apr 2012
davidd1833 Silver Member
19th Apr 2012

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 17-Apr-12 02:09 AM
13282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: View NX2 TIF Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Are you using the 32 bit or 64 bit version? If 32 bit you will have a problem with a file that size.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Tue 17-Apr-12 06:08 AM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2 TIF Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

Hi

I am able to open a 339Mb tiff in View NX2(32bit) with no problems.

One thing, Capture NX2 and ViewNX2 do not like tiff files with an Alpha Channel, so if you can save them with no Alpha Channel it may help.

David

My Gallery

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 17-Apr-12 12:52 PM
3956 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: View NX2 TIF Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

When I was running 32 bit View NX2, it would crash when I tried to open a large TIF file in CNX2 from VNX2. I used Windows Explorer to open in CNX2. Since upgrading to 64 bit no crashes.

John

b2martin_a Registered since 10th Jan 2007Tue 17-Apr-12 02:08 PM
475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: View NX2 TIF Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I am using the 64 bit version, version 2.3.1. This is a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit computer with 8GB of RAM.

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 17-Apr-12 08:58 PM
3956 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: View NX2 TIF Problem"
In response to Reply # 4

Simsbury, US

I've got A Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with an i7 processor and 9GB RAM, but I haven't upgraded to 2.3.1, still using 2.3.0. Wouldn't think that would be the problem though.

John

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 17-Apr-12 11:41 PM
13282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: View NX2 TIF Problem"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

I am using an i7 2600K processor with 16 GB of RAM and CNX2.3.1 64 bit and VNX2 64 bit and I have no problem with very large TIFFs. I did have problems when I was running the 32 bit versions as there was just not enough memory available to handle the files. I have been processing 4 channel (16 bits per channel) from huge 6400 dpi slide scans which produces images larger than 8000 pixels on the long side with no issues.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

b2martin_a Registered since 10th Jan 2007Wed 18-Apr-12 02:59 PM
#7. "RE: View NX2 TIF Problem"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Maybe it's the number of pixels on a side. The image has 14,750 pixels on the long side and over 8500 on the other side.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 19-Apr-12 01:08 AM
#8. "RE: View NX2 TIF Problem"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

I just checked one of my 4 channel files (R,G,,IR) 16 bit and it was 408 MB but while CNX@ can open that file it is not a file it can process because of the IR channel and I first have to process it in SilverFast HDR Studio to convert the file to a normal 48 bit file with the IR channel already applied as a dust and scratches step. This generally takes them down to under 300 MB before I process them in CNX2. Your 14750 x 8500 file is huge and I would assume a minimum of 16 GB would be required for a file that large. Make sure that you also turn off the editing cache and then try it.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

davidd1833 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Thu 19-Apr-12 04:10 AM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: View NX2 TIF Problem"
In response to Reply # 8

Sydney, AU

I don't know if this is relevant, but I fould it on another forum.

"From the readme file that comes with CNX2.....

11. Image size
The maximum pixel size allowed in Capture NX 2 is indicated below. An image whose size is larger than the size indicated cannot be opened. Please note that depending on the kind of edits you make, you may encounter some problems even though the size of the image you are working on is equal to or smaller than the maximum size.

The maximum pixel size: 15000 x 10000 pixels "

I have certainly opened files with a pixel width greater than 15000, but the height was much less than 10000, so maybe it is the product of the two...

David

My Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8692 Previous topic | Next topic