nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8675
View in linear mode

Subject: "View NX2 Annoyance - Bug or Incorrect Setting?" Previous topic | Next topic
Hotswimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008Sun 15-Apr-12 07:20 PM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"View NX2 Annoyance - Bug or Incorrect Setting?"
Sun 15-Apr-12 07:51 PM by Hotswimmer

Annapolis, US

Ever since I upgraded to View Nx2 Version 2.3.0 (Mac), I've been faced with an annoyance that I've come across on some previous versions as well. When you're viewing full images in the browser, if you make a change to the rating label, it executes the change, and immediately the image disappears and you get a blank browser screen with the message "no image selected". When you click out of that, you're back at the thumbnail screen, and at the very top of the list of displayed thumbnails. This is time-consuming and annoying when you're sorting through hundreds of images. Is this a programming bug or do I have some setting incorrect? It seems like every upgrade of this software comes with some new enhancement, together with some annoying new little bug(s). If this can't be changed, I've either got to go back to a previous version, or pick new browsing/cataloging software.

ETA: While I'm at it - if I do my labeling in another program, like Photo Mechanic, LR, or Aperture, are those labels interrogated the same way in all other applications? For clarification, by labeling, I mean ranking the images with the different colored and numbered circles that you assign to an image through selection from a pick list.

ETA: Just upgraded to Version 2.3.1 and it still does the same thing.

Thanks!

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Mon 16-Apr-12 05:33 PM
1005 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: View NX2 Annoyance - Bug or Incorrect Setting?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

If you have selected "by" a certain rating then if you change that rating the image will sort of disappear :>) Of course it as still there and will appear if you change the rating you wish to view appropriately (or to all).

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Hotswimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008Mon 16-Apr-12 10:56 PM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: View NX2 Annoyance - Bug or Incorrect Setting?"
In response to Reply # 1

Annapolis, US

Clive,

I appreciate your thoughts and I understand what you're trying to say, and it makes sense, but let me clarify the problem. Yes, if I'm only displaying images with a rating of 1, and I change the rating of an image to 0, that image will disappear from view. All good - I want that to happen.

The bug is this. It used to be that when I changed the rating of an image and it disappeared from the browser, it was replaced by the next image in the sequence. That was good, because it let me rapidly sort through a bunch of images and change their rankings, if I so chose. What's happening in this latest release is that instead of the re-ranked image being replaced by the next image in the sequence, it's replaced by a gray screen, and a message that says "No file selected". If I click out of that screen, it kicks me out of browser view into thumbnail view, and takes me back to the top of the list of thumbnails.

So now, I have to manually scroll down through the thumbnails to find and manually select the next image in the sequence, the one following the image whose ranking I changed. This makes me insane when I'm working with a set of several hundred images.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8675 Previous topic | Next topic