Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8623
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 file opening time" Previous topic | Next topic
expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Fri 06-Apr-12 01:16 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 file opening time"

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Help please, inexplicably Capture NX2 (latest version) is taking a full 30 seconds to open a single NEF.
Windows Gallery opens them imediately as usual.
Photo Mechanic preview is also fast opening NEF
PC is running normal,no other programs running.
Have cleared the caches in NX2 and this is still defaulted on the C drive and windows is kept updated.
Cleaned up files etc with CC cleaner.
Win7 64b 8GB RAM
Nothing new and no changes.
Thanks for looking

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 file opening time
ericbowles Moderator
06th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
06th Apr 2012
piniongear
16th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
16th Apr 2012
piniongear
16th Apr 2012
FrankSRGB Silver Member
16th Apr 2012
piniongear
16th Apr 2012
FrankSRGB Silver Member
17th Apr 2012
piniongear
17th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
17th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
17th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
17th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
17th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
17th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
17th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
18th Apr 2012
FrankSRGB Silver Member
18th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
19th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
19th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
23rd Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
28th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
28th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
28th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
28th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
28th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
28th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
28th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
28th Apr 2012
FrankSRGB Silver Member
29th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
29th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
29th Apr 2012
billtompkins Silver Member
30th Apr 2012
expat Silver Member
01st May 2012

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 06-Apr-12 02:37 PM
8578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I just did a quick test. I'm opening NEF images in 8-10 seconds with the same approach and hardware. I got the same open times from Windows and from View NX2. There is a little variation by file size and editing steps that may have to be loaded. Interesting that a file from my V1 opened slower than anything else - 17 seconds.

I have Win7 64bit with 8 GB RAM

Do you get the same kind of delay opening the program from your desktop? Most of my time is opening the program not the image. Program opening is around 6 seconds while opening an image is about 2 seconds.

Perhaps your Open With command goes to the wrong place or involves some hunting. I'd reset your Open With preference.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Fri 06-Apr-12 03:05 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 1

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Thanks for replying Eric, I have never been too sure about that preference and it is presently at default unless it changed itself.

ie

'Open with application' is blank

'Place open with TIFF file in' has a tick next to 'same as'.

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Mon 16-Apr-12 02:46 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 2

Houston Texas, US

This may not help you, but reading your post sure helped me.

I have always had to wait for Caspture NX2 to open up.
Any NEF file also took more time to open that I would like.

So after reading your post and Eric's reply I went to NX2 'Edit tab'... 'preferences'....'manage settings'... and under 'Check the boxes for Load Adjustment Menu' there were a large number of items listed with a check mark beside them.
I unchecked all of those items.

Next I went to 'General tab' and found that under 'Folder for temporary files' I had drive D:\ listed.
Drive D on my computer is one of 4 hard drives I have in the box and is a 1TB hard drive used to store files and info. (The other 3 drives are Windows 7, Vista, and XP)

So I then chose Drive 'C:\'(Windows 7) as the drive for temporary files to be stored.
At that point I had to reopen the application (NX2) to have the change take effect.

The result?
NX@ now opens in 2 seconds instead of 15 to 20 seconds required before.
A single NEF file now opens in 2 seconds rather than 5 seconds as it took before.

So thank you for the post and the kick needed to look at my preferences.
Perry

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Mon 16-Apr-12 06:57 AM
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 3

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Perry thanks for your reply to my post, two of your points are interesting to me.
(Bear in mind my NX2 would open reasonably fast, including from within Photo Mechanic but opening an individual NEF sometimes took 40 secs or more)

1) 'Folder for temporary Files' I have this defaulted to C:\
There are many posts which suggest theis should be set to another drive but that caused my NX2 to crash and it had to be reinstalled and so I decided not to persue that path.Nikon advised me against moving the cache when I asked them about this happening.

2) After reading your post I looked at the 'Load Adjustment menu' to find just one item which to me is completely meaningless.
" Slide Shoesrgb Adjustment" is the entry and has a tick in its box????????????.

Win 7 drive C:\ 64 bit 8GB RAM
Dave

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Mon 16-Apr-12 01:43 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 4

Houston Texas, US

>Perry thanks for your reply to my post, two of your points
>are interesting to me.
>(Bear in mind my NX2 would open reasonably fast, including
>from within Photo Mechanic but opening an individual NEF
>sometimes took 40 secs or more)
>
>1) 'Folder for temporary Files' I have this defaulted to C:\
>There are many posts which suggest theis should be set to
>another drive but that caused my NX2 to crash and it had to be
>reinstalled and so I decided not to persue that path.Nikon
>advised me against moving the cache when I asked them about
>this happening.
>
>2) After reading your post I looked at the 'Load Adjustment
>menu' to find just one item which to me is completely
>meaningless.
>" Slide Shoesrgb Adjustment" is the entry and has a
>tick in its box????????????.
>
>Win 7 drive C:\ 64 bit 8GB RAM
>Dave

Dave,
You have me baffled regarding the 'Slide Shoesrgb'.
This sounds like meaning a Slide Shoe(s) for RGB (Red-Green-Blue) adjustments, but I have no idea how the slider for RGB would happen to get put in the Load Adjustment Menu.

I also have no idea how the items that showed up in my Load Adjustment list got there either, other than the fact that I have used those for some adjustments I have made to pics in the past.
I unchecked every one of them.

Either that or changing the temporary folder location to Drive C from Drive D certainly increased my opening speed by a wide margin.

And yes, my computer used to open the NX files quickly too.
It slowed down over the years and I just thought it must be a result of having many files stored.

I built my own computer and decided to install 3 extra hard drives in it several years back.
I have 8GB of RAM and use a 32bit Windows 7 with a dual core processor.
One (1)TB hard drive and (3) 750GB hard drives.

Regarding your mention of many posts advising one to keep the temporary folder on another drive... other than C... puzzles me.

If one goes and buys a computer from the store (as many people do) it is only going to have a single hard drive. Ditto for a laptop.

So what are these people supposed to do without a second drive?
Something about does not sound right to me.
Perry

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Mon 16-Apr-12 06:50 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 5

US

They could partition their C: drive to include logical partitions. If two such partitions were added, they would appear in Windows as drives D: & E: even though they're on the same physical hard disk.

CNX's temp folder could then be pointed to drive D:.

While it isn't a 2nd physical hard disk, it at least gets CNX's temp folder out of the operating system partition where it will no longer consume operating system drive free space or compete with other temp files Windows needs to work with.

FYI I have seen CNX's temp folder take up more than 20 gigabytes of free space. So its location is not a trivial matter.

Regards,
Frank

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Mon 16-Apr-12 07:23 PM
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 6

Houston Texas, US

Yes Frank you are correct.
However many of the people I know will have no idea how to partition a drive, so considering this is the majority of the population of computer user/owners... I find it a bit hard to believe partitioning/and-or another hard drive is recommended for the temp folder location of CNX.

As I have said before.....I had the temp folder on a separate 1TB hard drive from the OS drive, yet when I moved the folder over to drive C, Capture NX2 now opens both the application and NEF files faster than before.
Have you any idea why that is so?
Perry

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Tue 17-Apr-12 04:57 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>Have you any idea why that is so?

The short answer is no. But that's a can or worms that you are in a better position to sort out, since you know your system & configuration better than I. But I'll mention a few things that come to mind.

>Either that or changing the temporary folder location to Drive C from Drive D certainly increased my opening speed by a wide margin.

That's the downside of making more than 1 change at a time, you don't know which change to give the credit to. 1st step would be to find out which of the above changes was the most effective.

>I also have no idea how the items that showed up in my Load Adjustment list got there either
>It slowed down over the years and I just thought it must be a result of having many files stored

Over the years you somehow added those items to your Load Adjustment list (either knowingly or inadvertently). The list of names shouldn't really add a noticeable amount of load time since it's just textual information. However, for each name in the list there is a .set file and CNX stores the path to those .set files in its application.cfg file (your preferences file). If, over time, .set files have been deleted, moved or renamed outside of CNX, CNX would load with bogus paths and that may slow things down. Can't say for certain it would cause CNX to take longer to load, or if you'd just get an error when trying to load such a .set file, but bogus paths can and do happen. Don't know how many items you are talking about, but perhaps unchecking them freed CNX from the need to process their paths.

2nd, a corrupt preferences file can work but manifest very strange behavior. Sometimes it's not a result of where the file is located on the disk, but the code in the file is malformed. Again, perhaps unchecking the items in the Load Adj list removed any offending code that may have been present.

3rd, you're talking about load times, not only for the CNX program to load but for stored NEFs to load into CNX once CNX has loaded. This goes beyond simple hard disk access/read times and can involve Windows hanky panky to complicate things. For example, I have Excel files less than 100kb in size and Excel often takes 15-20 seconds to open them (sometimes they open in about 1 second). The files come from the same disk, clearly something else is at play. OTOH I have 20mb NEFs, on the same disk, that open in about 5 seconds. Go figure! In this case I think Eric focused on a good starting point from which to troubleshoot.

4th, that you have multiple physical hard disks doesn't say anything about how they're installed/configured. For example, if your drive D: is a slave to drive C: (connected via the same cable), they're both using the same controller port (a bottleneck). Performance would be better if they were connected to separate ports.

5th, file fragmentation & contiguous free space can make a difference. For example, CNX's temp folder would like lots of unfragmented free space. And of course the less fragmented NEFs are, the better.

6th, CNX versions prior to v2.2.6 didn't place the cpnx_tiledata folder in the folder that was configured in Preferences. And that folder contains CNX's largest temp file. In spite of one's preference, it was placed in the OS's temp folder, while the little tmp files did honor one's Preference setting. So any conclusions about temp file location that were drawn prior to the last quarter of 2010, when v2.2.6 was released, need to be re-evaluated. Not saying that's your case, but strange sh*t can happen over the years

7th, I believe the OS system cache will cache the CNX program. The next time it's opened it should open faster. However, if, in the interim, one does a lot of work and/or opens a lot of other programs, they may replace CNX in the system cache. In that case the next time CNX is opened it will not open as fast.

No point in going on since the devil really is in the details and I don't know as much about your system as you do. But those are a few things I'd consider when evaluating or troubleshooting such issues.

And lastly, here's something from CNX's help file......
Folder for Temporary Data
This option enables you to set the location where temporary data is stored. If possible, set this option to use a folder on a disk other than the primary startup disk.

Of course Nikon doesn't go into details about the best way to connect/configure the disks, but the idea here is simply to get the temp folder off the disk where all the OS activity takes place.

Regards,
Frank

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Tue 17-Apr-12 12:09 PM
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 17-Apr-12 12:10 PM by piniongear

Houston Texas, US

Thank you Frank for your thoughtful reply with suggestions.
I really appreciate your time and thoughts on this.

In my machine all 4 hard drives are connected to the mother board, so none are a slave to the others.

What you say regarding changing more that one thing at a time is true.
I think what I may do is move the temp folder back to drive D and see what (if anything) happens.

Then I may recheck those same items I had before and again see what happens.

I will not be making any changes other than those because the system runs very well at this point and I learned long ago to let the sleeping dog lie.
Thank you again for your reply.
Perry

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Tue 17-Apr-12 05:13 PM
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 9

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Since Eric and Perrys replies things have gone beyond my tiny brain.
Could we go back to basics or does it appear that with a simple set up like mine I am stuck with the problem ie I can expect images to open slowly unless i take a degree in Hard Drive technology?

I have a fastish laptop, Win 7 64 bit and 8 GB RAM.
My knowledge of all that HD stuff is limited.
I have an external USB connected HD with large capacity. It has only my images on it (NEF/TIFF/JPEG)-Drive K
I have another similar HD which has back ups of the images on Drive K,
it is Drive L.

1) Could I move the Folder for Temporary Data to Drive K leaving my stored images there?
Would Drive L still open my images via Capture NX2 without any other modification.
2) I have nothing set in the Open With Menu does that matter if I dont use the command 'Open With'?

Thanks

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 17-Apr-12 06:36 PM
8578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 10

Atlanta, US

I'm running the same hardware and not having issues. Let's see if we can find a setting in your Capture NX2 preferences or the program installation.

Open Capture NX2
Open a single image in Capture using whatever method you prefer. I used the browser and just picked one.

Open Task Manager (Control Alt Delete)

The Applications tab should show Capture NX2 running. Review the other programs for something running in the background.

The Processes tab shows a list of all computer processes. Click at the top of the Memory column to sort the list of processes by Memory used. What programs are using more than 100,000 K of memory? I have two programs over 100,000 K - Capture NX 2.exe at 656,000K and svchost.exe at 208,000 K.

Sort the programs in alphabetical order by clicking on the name column. Do you have any other Capture programs or Nikon programs open? I don't unless I am running View NX2.

Let us know if there are any other programs using large amounts of memory.

Now let's look at your programs. I want to be sure you only have one version of Capture running and it is the 64 bit version.

Open your Windows Explorer or Computer icon. Open the C drive. You should have two folders for program files - Program Files containing the 64 bit applications and Program Files (x86) containing the 32 bit versions.

Open each one and look for the folder called Nikon. In the Program Files/Nikon folder I have three folders - Capture NX 2, NEF Codec, and View NX2. In the folder caller Program Files (x86) I have 5 folders (all are 32 bit folders) - Capture NX 2, NEF Codec, Nikon Message Center 2, Short Movie Creator, and View NX2.

Let us know your results and then we'll look at Capture.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Tue 17-Apr-12 07:23 PM
#12. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 11

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Thanks Eric,

Program Files Nikon - Cap NX2 - View NX2.
No Nikon NEF Codec as I am still using FastPicture Viewer which I installed instead of the Nikon one when 64 Bit was first installed,I believe there is now a 64 Bit compatible one.

X86 - Capture NX - Capture NX2 - Nikon messenger2 - Nikon Transfer- View NX2
(NX has to remain on my PC due to my NX2 being upgrade version which requires NX1 for installation purposes)

Task Manager - at present shows only Capture NX2 at over 100,000K at top of the list - 426,624K.
MailWasher Pro is next biggest at 81,000K

No other Nikon programs seen open.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 17-Apr-12 07:43 PM
#13. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 12

Atlanta, US

That looks good. No issues with your programs.

Capture NX does not need to be maintained on your computer. You might get a request for a product key from NX but you do not need to maintain the program. I'm in the same situations.

Now let's look at Preferences.

General
Open With programs is blank but could contain something if you want.
Open With TIFF box is checked
The path is C:\Users\USERNAME\Appdata\Local\Temp
Edit List is unchecked
Folder for Temporary Data is C:\Users\USERNAME\Appdata\Local\Temp

Are your settings similar?

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Tue 17-Apr-12 08:51 PM
#14. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 13

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Yes, all similar to yours except Edit List is checked?

Not sure about 'D1X RAW Default' guess it does not matter unless a D1 is in use?

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 17-Apr-12 09:16 PM
#15. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 14

Atlanta, US

D1x RAW Default is 6 mp
Units is Imperial
Default Saving is NEF/NRW
Embed Preview when saving is Thumbnail and Preview

The problem is with the Edit List. That box should be unchecked. I'm pretty sure it is what is causing your slow load problem.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Wed 18-Apr-12 06:13 AM
#16. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 15

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Will uncheck that and test, I cannot remember if it was always checked.

Like much of the NX2 handbook that field is quite vague, a general statement with no figures in it.Like the remainder of the Field descriptions it offers choices but no help at all in what to choose.

(I am compiling a list of useless Windows messages and that NX2 field could be included if it were Microsoft.
e.g. "Windows is looking for a solution to the problem" Cant think why as it never finds one.)

Thanks again

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Wed 18-Apr-12 06:36 PM
#17. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 16

US

I hope this setting is the solution to your problem.

When you say opening time I assume you mean how long it takes for the image to first pop up in CNX, and not how long it takes for the "updating image" message to turn off. Is that correct?

With Edit List checked, an edit step somewhere in the middle of the list can be modified without automatically deactivating (dimming) all the steps below it. I've not seen this setting affect load time or rendering time and would be surprised if this makes the difference you hope for. But it does reduce processing time while editing a step in the middle of the list because the step essentially becomes the new "last" step in the list, the rest of the steps are no longer processed. Only problem is that the image no longer displays all of the edits.

Personally, I like to keep it checked. When I have a middle edit step with which I'm going to be doing a lot of fiddling before I get it right, I often copy/paste it to the bottom of the list and work with it there instead. It processes much faster while fiddling and I still get to see the image with all my edits. Then it's just a matter of transferring the final fiddles back to the original step in the middle of the list. Of course there are caveats when repositioning steps, but it works well much of the time.

Regards,
Frank

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Thu 19-Apr-12 06:05 PM
#18. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 17

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Thanks Frank.
Yes what I meant by opening time was the time taking to actually open an NEF for editing from thumbnail either within NX2 or from within Photo Mechanic.
I dont think the Edit List has effected this, but for whatever reason the problem has now become intermittent because an image sometimes opens in a couple of seconds and another time 40 seconds.
Perhaps its my set up the cause, although I never run anyting else when processing apart from aforsaid two programs.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 19-Apr-12 06:48 PM
#19. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 18

Atlanta, US

David

The couple of seconds to open is normal. 40 seconds is definitely not, but may be explainable. Are you saying that single, unedited NEF images have that much variation? I found times of 2 seconds typical to open a NEF file if Capture was already open and running with no image loaded. I found longer times might be required if I had to concurrently launch Capture and open a single file.
If you are saving a file from a previous operation - in Capture or View - it could affect the time. If you are needing to concurrently open a large number of images in a browser ( a large folder) it can affect processor speed. I'm looking for a pattern around the times when it takes 40 seconds to open a file.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Mon 23-Apr-12 06:54 AM
#20. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 19

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Eric, I was browsing the site when something triggered another thought.
As my small problem seems intermittent I wondered if it might simply be due to an external drive perhaps being sluggish an occasions.
Or it could be my workflow method.

I dont want to go into a more complex system than I have (simple person with only basic photo requirements) but would respect your opinion.

I ingest all NEFs via Photo Mechanic to folders on a 320 GB Freecom external drive. I then open for proccessing into NX2 from PM.
I do not store any images on PC. Processed are then stored on the external.

I have another identical external HD to which I copy processed images as back up.

Calling up a folder from the external drive will take some time as it will contain maybe fifty TIFFs but that does not seem to be a problem as the time taken is in opening individual images.

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 28-Apr-12 11:41 AM
#21. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 19

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Eric, sorry to be a pain, would you mind continuing your check list by givng me what you have for Preferences Cache Settings please.

I have Editing Cache -
Use Image cache "checked"

Cache Files saved Within the Editor "unchecked"

Cache Files Created in Batch Process "unchecked"

Cache Location normally defaulted to C:\
*If I change it to my external F:\ HD what are the implications as my NEFs are also on the F:\ drive, I do not keep any images on the PC?

Limit Cache Size "checked" & is set at 5GB

Thank you

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 28-Apr-12 11:54 AM
#22. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 21

Atlanta, US

I have "Use Image Cache" unchecked. All other options are grayed.out.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 28-Apr-12 01:14 PM
#23. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 22

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Thanks

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 28-Apr-12 03:04 PM
#24. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 23

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

PS have got into a mess, could anyone help please.

I changed my Cache Location in Capture NX2 Preferences to an external HD and cannot change it back again to default C:\ location.
Pressing reset does not reset this.
I tried to use the adjacent Browser button but could not find the original path.(as recorded below)
If I type that path into 'Windows Start' I see the menu as per the attached jpg screen print, the path at the top is correct but it does not align with the path at the vertical left of the screen, which is why I guess I cannot browse to it?
Also why are all those cache images there when the cache was cleared?

Ie I want to re enter the following into the cache location but cannot type it in or browse to it.
Computer C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Nikon\Capture NX\Cache

Win 7 64 bit Capture NX2 latest Version

Have now learnt to leave things alone.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 28-Apr-12 03:37 PM
#25. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 24

Atlanta, US

If the "Use Image Cache box is unchecked, you cannot edit the cache location. If the Use Image Cache box is checked, the loaction is active and can be edited. The path you have is the same as I am using. I do not use an external drive for my cache.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 28-Apr-12 04:01 PM
#26. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 25

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Eric, the path is correct (at the top) as per yours, the problem is I cannot navigate to it using the Browser button next to the Cache Location menu.
May be difficult to see on the small jpg but the path I typed into Win Start cannot be browsed to via Cache Location browser because it is not the same as the path shown on the left pane of jpg.
I cannot get the correct path into Cache Location, cannot type into that location and cannot browse to it.
Wonder if my NX2 is corrupt.

ie I check the box but still cannot get back to default, I can select/set any loction from the C:\ drive but the actual path I want does not appear in Browse.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 28-Apr-12 04:20 PM
#27. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 26

Atlanta, US

That's really odd. I don't have a solution so my best suggestion is to uninstall and then reinstall. I don't know another way to get back to default settings.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sat 28-Apr-12 04:58 PM
#28. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 27

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Yes I will reinstall, I have upgrade version of NX2, still have old NX code and NX is still on the PC so should be OK.

FrankSRGB Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2009Sun 29-Apr-12 02:38 PM
#29. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 28

US

Before you go to the trouble of reinstalling, why don't you try deleting CNX's application.cfg file first? CNX will recreate a new one with the default settings next time it's started.

Or you can move the file to another location so you still have a copy of your preference settings (you can view the contents of the application.cfg file with a text editor like Notepad).

Either way, make sure CNX is closed when you delete or move the file.

I'm running XP and my file can be found at the following location....

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Application Data\Nikon\Capture NX 2\application.cfg

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sun 29-Apr-12 03:07 PM
#30. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 29

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Thank you Frank, I will look at that shortly but in the meantime I have already carried out the following - Removed my original NX and uninstalled / reinstalled NX2 V2.3.2(Upgrade version)

Surprised to find that my cache file remains exactly as it is in the screen shot I posted yesterday. All those entries are exactly the same.

Before taking the pre and post screenshots I cleared the cache buttons in Preferences and it seems that reinstalling did nothing at all to that file. The entries are the same in every detail date size and names.

Have emailed Nikon.

Eric although I am still confused by the cache file- from a quick glance NEFs are presently opening fast as they used to do, so thanks for your help.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 29-Apr-12 06:45 PM
#31. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 30

Atlanta, US

Glad it is working better.

The cache file is a data file rather than an application so reinstalling does not matter.. Until you clear the cache, the data remains. You should be able to clear the cache again. Empty your recycle bin if necessary. Hope that will help.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

billtompkins Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2006Mon 30-Apr-12 09:14 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 31

Fairfax, US

I understand you are using a laptop with attached external drives for image storage. I do the same when I'm travelling, using USB attached WD Passports. My NEF image load time into CNX2 can run 20 to 30 seconds easily, depending on file size. This is constrained by USB 2.0 processing and transfer rates. Files on my C:\ drive load much faster. Could it be that the external drive access and transfer time is part of the problem?

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Tue 01-May-12 09:56 AM
#33. "RE: Capture NX2 file opening time"
In response to Reply # 32

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Fair comment but nothing & that has been my way of thinking but nothing has changed from the time when the problem occurred, dual core HP with 8 GB not really used for anything except NX2 and PM.
It is kept clean with all the usual stuff.
Doesnt seem to matter which drive, same results for all intent and purposes.
I loaded all my photo files onto the C:\ drive also bought a faster spining (mains supply) external HD, this was really inconclusive as I found that my original two USB driven externals are as fast as any of the others.(they have the same spec as the new one but are only 5400 rpm).

I could of course buy a super duper Mac and the latest drives etc but I am just an amatuer using what has been fine for my needs and circumstances. Load from my D700 CF card into PM & open an NEF into NX2.
When the problem occurs it doesnt seem to make any difference if the images are opened in NX2 alone or via PM or even Windows Photo Gallery.(FastPic viewer codec)

Have now completed reinstalling NX2 and have removed NX1 which had been left in situ so far things look OK.

Thanks for your help.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8623 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.