Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8545
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 -sharpness" Previous topic | Next topic
nevan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Fri 23-Mar-12 01:47 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 -sharpness"

MU

Hi to all,
can anyone help me add sharpness to my images using Capture NX2 plz.
I find this tool really friendly in ViewNX and i regret the same on Capture.I see that it's not so simple.
Is it in Adjust,Focus?with Glaissian,Mask etc?

I'm sure that others will tell these features are useful,but since i'm new to it,it seems very difficult,compared to ViewNX.

Waiting for your helping hand.

Your friend
Ned

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness
mklass Platinum Member
23rd Mar 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
24th Mar 2012
nevan Silver Member
24th Mar 2012
mklass Platinum Member
24th Mar 2012
nevan Silver Member
05th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
05th Apr 2012
profpb Gold Member
05th Apr 2012
nevan Silver Member
06th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
06th Apr 2012
nevan Silver Member
14th Apr 2012
robsb Platinum Member
14th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
14th Apr 2012
nevan Silver Member
15th Apr 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 23-Mar-12 06:35 PM
5930 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Adjust|Focus| then either Unsharp Mask or High Pass Filter. If you use High Pass, then you must use Overlay in the Opacity|Blending Mode submenu in the edit list.

In Capture NX you get better control than Viw NX, plus you can apply the setting globally (to the whole image as in ViewNX) or selectively, to just part of the image.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sat 24-Mar-12 12:59 PM
1501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 24-Mar-12 01:00 PM by four eighty sparky

US

Ditto on the High Pass filter.

Adjust each image individually, based on how you want it to look. There's no one single setting that works for all shots. Some I adjust just 1-2, others get 15-20.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

nevan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Sat 24-Mar-12 02:14 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 1

MU

Hi to both of you for your postings.
May be i have't been clear in my writings too!

Since i'm new to Capture NX2,i was looking how to add sharpness to my pics.And i was wondering why it wasn't as easy as on View NX.I thought it was under Adjust-Focus,etc.But i think i'm wrong!

After some time,i could find it under Develop!However,it wasn't available on jpegs,am i right?I saw the sharpening tool for NEf files only.

May be i'll be more used to it after some more hours trying n working on it.

Would you please clear the way for me as far as High Pass filter is concerned?
It would be most welcome.When n why using it?
Kindest regards
Ned

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 24-Mar-12 02:27 PM
5930 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 3

Tacoma, US

You don't need to use the sharpening setting in the develop section, but you can. Some people use that to turn off the effects of in camera sharpening (the initial setting should match what you have in your camera). Other than that situation, you better off using USM or High Pass from the Adjust menu. That will create an edit step where you can fine tune the sharpening or even apply it selectively.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

nevan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Thu 05-Apr-12 05:41 AM
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 4

MU

Hello Mick,
first of all let me apology for the big lapse of time since my last post-due to cnnection anomalies in my region.
i also thank you for your reply to what i wish to be aware about the High Pass filter.
Truely speaking,i'm afraid i'm missing too much about the topic to grasp what you tried to give me.
Anyway,i'll think over it and give it some try soon.
However,if you have some more precision to forward,most welcome!
If others could share their experience about the topic-=those who started from scrash,i'll be most happy.
Kindest regards
Ned

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 05-Apr-12 11:33 AM
8609 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

Let's try it this way.

In View there are two places to apply sharpening - one is embedded in your picture control (RAW files only) and the other is using the Sharpening slider. When you go into Capture you can see the Sharpening slider in View is actually Unsharp mask with Intensity set at a moderate level, Radius set relatively high, and Threshold not used.

In Capture you have the same ability to adjust the picture control. This only applies to RAW files. If you change the Picture Control (including changing it to your original setting) you can adjust sharpening. This is a global sharpening setting.

The other adjustments are in the Develop section. Both High Pass and Unsharp Mask are types of sharpening. These tools can be applied globally or selectively in Capture. They can be used for any type of image - RAW, JPEG, or TIFF.

High Pass sharpening lets you sharpen fine edges of high contrast areas in an image. It works well for water and reflections. In portraits, I always use High Pass on the eyes. Sometimes it works well with hair, feathers, or branches. There are two schools of thought on how to use it. One is to set Radius equal to the megapixels on your RAW images - 16 for a D7000, 12 for a D300, etc. - and then use Opacity to soften the effect to taste. This can leave halos on some images so the alternative is to set the radius to a lower setting and Opacity at a higher level. With both approaches you set blending mode to Overlay to remove the gray cast.

Unsharp Mask is the most commonly used sharpening method. It has three sliders - intensity, radius and threshold. Intensity controls the strength of the effect. Radius controls the strength of the effect in a different manner - it controls the width of the contrasting edge that makes an image look sharper. Threshold controls the difference color or shade before sharpening is applied. These settings depend a bit on the size of the image. For a small JPEG, 25-3-4 might be my starting point. For a full sized file I might use 50-4-4 or 64-4-4 depending on how much sharpening I want. I generally like a small radius.

I normally apply sharpening selectively rather than globally. You'll need a bit of trial and error to decide how you want to use them. To see halos or artifacts, you will probably want to view at 100%. The thing about sharpening is you want to be subtle - you don't want to oversharpen.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

profpb Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2010Thu 05-Apr-12 01:04 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 6

Venice, US

Eric, You are the best. Your knowledge and clear and concise instructions for use earn my greatest respect. Thank you, my Nikonian friend for life. ~Patrick from Venice (Florida)

Dr. Buick

nevan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Fri 06-Apr-12 03:28 PM
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 6

MU

Waooh Eric,
i dont think we can be more explicit than this.I'm going to start working,experimenting very soon.
I have one idea in mind is to try to put some parts od an image out of focus completly.I once saw this for a bride's pic.I was well impressed by this effect.I doubt it was from the camera!
I guess it would be the other way round,i mean about your explanation...euheuh,much experimentation ahead!
Let me seize the opprtunity to say that my Nikonians friends helped widen my photographic scope!I used to spend much on photographic magazins,but the contact with you all helped me a realy big lot.
Kindest regards
Ned

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 06-Apr-12 04:10 PM
8609 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 8

Atlanta, US

I find that sharpening is only one method of bringing attention to the subject. A key to great images is making the eye go where the photographer intends. You can do that with composition as well as with good editing.

On some images, my techniques include using Gaussian blur to soften the background or elements of the background. Blur is not the same as bokeh, but it helps to remove attention from soft areas. You can do the same thing with an entire image except for the face or eyes. It's a matter of degree. It takes a soft touch and a number of layers of blur to make images look truly realistic. Poorly done, it looks terrible.

The second technique is to use brightness and contrast to make elements of the photo have more attention or less. When I have a busy background, I normally will use this technique applied selectively to make the background less noticeable.

You can do the same thing with color and saturation. Bright colors attract attention, so if you make them less saturated and a more muted tone, they tend to attract little attention.

All these techniques are best applied selectively. You can and should use opacity on many of these techniques to soften the effect.

So experimentation is part of the art of rendering great images. Vincent Versace suggests taking an effect to the extreme and then pulling it back to the desired effect. Learn what too much of any of theses effects does to your image. For example, Unsharp Mask and High Pass can both create halos. Even with lighter opacity, you might not be able to eliminate the halo so a smaller setting would be better. On other images, you might apply a lot of sharpening to the eyes to attract attention and make a slightly soft image much more successful.

These are not techniques I use on all my images. They are not even used on typical web posts. These techniques apply to less than 1% or my images but it is a high percentage of the ones I print, hang, and sell. And for perspective, it's pretty rare for me to spend more than 5-10 minutes editing an image.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

nevan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Sat 14-Apr-12 01:11 PM
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 9

MU

Hi Eric,
i thank you very much for your techniques.
When i look at some pics,i imagine the load of editing behind!I keep wondering if these wonderful pics are obtained on the spot?Then i ask myself what i'm missing to reach this level?
Anyway,i find that it's worth devoting 5 minutes to a pic to have such an eye-catching one!
I still have some way ahead to learn shooting and composition techniques but as far as editing is concerned,it's still a big big lot!
If you could do me a favour to work on one of my shot and let me be amazed by the difference.May be i'll know better where should i head for.
Let me know your feeling about this please Eric.
Kindest regards
Ned

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 14-Apr-12 06:03 PM
12764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 10

San Jose, US

Ned it sounds like you would benefit from some of the many tutorials that are available on line. Start with Nikon's web site and look for the capture NX2 tutorials.Next go to UTube and search for Capture NX2 tutorials. You will find many videos on how to use all the tools. finally you may want to try Jason O'Dells eBook on Capture NX2.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 14-Apr-12 09:59 PM
#12. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 10

Atlanta, US

I take the approach that I try ot "get it right in the camera", but my final result may not be what comes directly from the camera.

One thing to keep in mind is that most images have a subject that should be emphasized. There is something about the image that is the "WOW!. When you capture an image in the camera, the lighting, color, and focus are all applied globally. The art comes in later when you decide where you want the emphasis and how you want to get there. I usually try to enhance the subject and downplay the other areas. I'll use sharpening, light, and color in support of that idea.

To get an idea of what I am talking about, take a look at some of the work of John Sexton or Ansel Adams. There is a lot of post processing that takes place to get the "final look". In their case it was with film, but the ideas are the same with digital.

Now you can't turn a weak image into a great one, but you can enhance a good image and make it better. In many cases, it's only 5-10 minutes of effort in post processing.

Don't worry - I had many of the same questions you do at one point. I still value the opinion of others with some images if I don't know exactly how to approach my edit.

The nice thing about digital is you can try different approaches. Ansel Adams printed Moon Over Hernandez many many times and never felt he got it just right. I have images that I know are good images - I just can't make the edit work the way it needs to for a Wow image.

Keep trying and post your images here. It's a journey and we're here to help.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

nevan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Sun 15-Apr-12 10:28 AM
#13. "RE: Capture NX2 -sharpness"
In response to Reply # 12

MU

Hello Bob and Eric,
all your tips and advices have great value to me.I know i'm at the right address.I tried a bit of your tips Eric about glausian and unsharp tools.of course,still have some way ahead,but i'm pretty happy that i started to work on it.
Come back later.
Thumbs up for Nikonians friends
Ned

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #8545 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.