nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
mbpics

Victoria, CA
103 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mbpics Registered since 21st Apr 2008
Wed 18-Nov-09 01:13 AM | edited Wed 18-Nov-09 06:31 AM by mbpics

Apologies in advance if this question has already been asked and answered.

I am doing all my file management and post-processing in the Lightroom 1.4.1. Overall, I am happy with it, and will eventually upgrade to the Lightroom 3. However, one drawback that I am facing with the Lightroom is how much time it takes to review a large number of pictures. The Lightroom needs at least several seconds to open each image at a 100% magnification, and just reviewing a large batch takes hours.

I am planning to introduce an additional step into my workflow, prior to uploading the pictures into the Lightroom: some very simple program allowing me to quickly check the NEFs for the composition and the sharpness, and assign the ratings accordingly. I don't need to do any adjustments with this simple program -- I will take care of it later on in the Lightroom, working only on the images selected at the previous step.

I have just installed the ViewNX and it fits the bill perfectly. However, I cannot see in the Lightroom the star ratings that I have assigned to the images in the ViewNX. Some Internet posts have indicated that "Nikon View NX uses the XMP field for storing image ratings. This is in line with the system used in other software, such as Adobe Lightroom."

Is there anything I can do to help the Lightroom read these star ratings from the XMP field?

Thanks you in advance for your feedback,

Mikhail

G