Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #853
View in linear mode

Subject: "Uploading ViewNX star ratings into Lightroom" Previous topic | Next topic
mbpics Registered since 21st Apr 2008Wed 18-Nov-09 01:13 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Uploading ViewNX star ratings into Lightroom"
Wed 18-Nov-09 06:31 AM by mbpics

Victoria, CA

Apologies in advance if this question has already been asked and answered.

I am doing all my file management and post-processing in the Lightroom 1.4.1. Overall, I am happy with it, and will eventually upgrade to the Lightroom 3. However, one drawback that I am facing with the Lightroom is how much time it takes to review a large number of pictures. The Lightroom needs at least several seconds to open each image at a 100% magnification, and just reviewing a large batch takes hours.

I am planning to introduce an additional step into my workflow, prior to uploading the pictures into the Lightroom: some very simple program allowing me to quickly check the NEFs for the composition and the sharpness, and assign the ratings accordingly. I don't need to do any adjustments with this simple program -- I will take care of it later on in the Lightroom, working only on the images selected at the previous step.

I have just installed the ViewNX and it fits the bill perfectly. However, I cannot see in the Lightroom the star ratings that I have assigned to the images in the ViewNX. Some Internet posts have indicated that "Nikon View NX uses the XMP field for storing image ratings. This is in line with the system used in other software, such as Adobe Lightroom."

Is there anything I can do to help the Lightroom read these star ratings from the XMP field?

Thanks you in advance for your feedback,

Mikhail

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mgsylvestre Registered since 28th Jan 2003Wed 18-Nov-09 07:12 PM
615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Uploading ViewNX star ratings into Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 0

Ville de Mont-Royal, CA

If you apply the rating after importing the pictures in Lightroom, you need to update the metadata in LR. There is a batch function to do this.

If the ratings were applied prior to importing, LR should read it.

Be aware that the reverse is not true ie. View or Capture NX cannot read ratings which were applied in LR.

Regards,

Michel G. Sylvestre
Nikonian from Montréal, Canada

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mbpics Registered since 21st Apr 2008Wed 18-Nov-09 09:24 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Uploading ViewNX star ratings into Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 1

Victoria, CA

Michel -- many thanks for the prompt feedback.

I have assigned the star ratings in the ViewNX _prior_ to importing my images into the Lightroom; however, the Lightroom is not uploading the star ratings -- I have tried this quite a few times, with different files. Curiously, it does upload some of the color/number ratings assigned in the ViewNX, specifically 1,3,4,6,7. The limited number of recognized colors is understandable considering that the Lightroom only uses five colors for color-coding, while the ViewNX uses ten.

What version of the Lightroom are you using? If it is more recent than mine (1.4.1), my guess is that this is a bug fixed in the later releases. In this case, as a temporary measure until I upgrade to the Lightroom 3, I will rate my images with the colors in the ViewNX, and replace the color ratings with the star ratings in the Lightroom.

Thanks again,

Mikhail

Beemer2 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Thu 19-Nov-09 10:56 AM
2517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Uploading ViewNX star ratings into Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 0

Scotland, GB

Mikhail,

You should upgrade to Lightroom 2 to get faster file opening. I also have ViewNX but never use it.

regards,

Ian

If only Mozart had had a camera

mbpics Registered since 21st Apr 2008Thu 19-Nov-09 05:33 PM
#4. "RE: Uploading ViewNX star ratings into Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 3

Victoria, CA

Ian,

Thank you for your advice.

I am definitely planning to upgrade to Lightroom 3, once it is released. Meanwhile, I am trying Lighroom 3 BETA. After receiving your message I have timed magnifying a D700 NEF image in Lightroom 3 BETA versus ViewNX.

When I magnify an image in Lightroom 3 BETA first time after importing it, it takes about 40 seconds to get it magnified to 100%. ViewNX only requires about 3 seconds.

Once an image has been magnified in Lighroom 3 BETA at least once, there is no visible time difference between Lightroom and ViewNX. Most likely, Lightroom builds a database related to this image when it opens it first time, and this requires close to 40 sec. Thereafter, it only needs to upload the already existing data from the database.

In my case, it is important to do the first round of image reviews as fast as possible to rate the pictures. I think that ViewNX is going to be very helpful in this regard. Once I rate the images in ViewNX, I can import the promising ones (maybe 10% in case of wildlife shooting) and their ratings into Lightroom, and work on the best rated ones there, even if it take 40 seconds for the first time magnification.

Thanks again and regards,

Mikahil

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #853 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.